No likey chunky salsa

Options
I've been tooling around with a recipe for salsa and it's definately a progress in work. If you're feeling froggy you can help me perfect it. Try it out, make changes, let me know. So far here's the simple version:

3 10oz can Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
1 large clove garlic
1/8 - 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp white vinegar

Throw the garlic, cilantro, and ro*tel in the blender and liquify that badboy. It's going to look a bit odd at first but dont panic. Add your salt and vinegar (more or less) to taste. After a couple hours the salsa should look edible again and be pretty tasty.

Think last time i added a tbsp of honey and it was pretty good but i think i may try using the del monte tomatoes and chilies next time since they seem to be a bit sweeter.

Replies

• Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I like putting blackened yellow peppers in mine. You can liquify those, too if you like. Also, no onion?! Red onions are sweeter and really good in salsa......cook them with the peppers!
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    I like putting blackened yellow peppers in mine. You can liquify those, too if you like. Also, no onion?! Red onions are sweeter and really good in salsa......cook them with the peppers!

Cooking... hmm... wonder how that would work out. As it is right now it's stupid fast and easy but to try to get more flavor cooking may be something to look into. Especially since blending raw onion tends to end in disaster for me.

Thanks much.
  • Katy009
    Options
    If you don't want to cook, try getting the baby onions that come in the jar preserved in vinegar. Sorry...don't know the name there, but I'm positive you can find them in the US. I use them a lot in salads and I'm sure they would "liquify" really nice.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    great....now I hongry....

baby onions.....hmmmm pearl onions maybe??.......

people at the mex rest. look at me funny.....I wont eat cooked onion but love fresh onions in my pico...they always screw it up......to me cooked onions look like worms.....

I dont eat chunky salsa......I strain my pace picante........but I eat pico.....

I know I am a tard......:huh:
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I buy salsa, get out the handy stick blender and presto - salsa I like. :laugh:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I like to add black beans and a little mexican corn to my salsa. Its YUMMY!!!!!!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Use green onions if you don't want to cook them, but it has to have onions.
  • Katy009
    Options

baby onions.....hmmmm pearl onions maybe??.......

that sounds like it might be right....that's what they look like. here they are called cipolline which means little onions :)
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options

lol... i do that on occasion. I really like Pace's Triple Pepper salsa though. It's already chunkless. I usually don't like Pace since I got wicked food poisoning from it as a kid.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

lol... i do that on occasion. I really like Pace's Triple Pepper salsa though. It's already chunkless. I usually don't like Pace since I got wicked food poisoning from it as a kid.

Hmmmmm. Havent' tried that one. Might have to look for it. I usually just get the Market District medium salsa then obliterate it with the blender. :tongue:
  • KellenRae
    KellenRae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I grill almost everything I put in my salsa. The tomatoes, the onions, the peppers.

I put them on the grill and turn them every now and then to make sure the entire outside gets all charred.
    Then I blend it. I don't mind chunky salsa, but blending helps break down the blackened skin. Heck yeah, man, I leave the charred skin on. Adds tons of flavor. I think it even brings out the natural sugars, too so it adds a touch of sweet, smokiness.

Can't remember the exact recipe right now, but if anyone's interested, send me a message and I'll give it to you when I get home.