Need something new ?

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
I don't normally smoke but it used to be when i would get stressed i would go buy a pack or go drink a little. I have been trying to use exercise as a stress reliever but it's not working. I will do the elliptical or videos like the 30day shred. I don't have a gym membership so i don't really have access to classes or anything.

I need something that will help with anger and just general stress so any ideas ?

I thought about buying a punching bag but i don't really know if i have room for one.

Replies

• crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I like the idea of a punching bag too - but in the essence of space - you could try a smaller speed bag =)
  • RamTX22
    RamTX22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Punching Bags are great, id reccomend it :)
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    go for a walk!
    It works!
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    They say swearing helps a lot and screaming load! It's healthy!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting outside to reduce stress if it is possible. Bike ride, run, walk, hike, swim, whatever. These are great for reducing stress!:smile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I have 3 hanging - one for power, one for speed and another for kicking....love it!
    24698793_5599.jpg
    24698793_179.jpg
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    A spouse and kids should help relieve tension...
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Try insanity. It will relieve stress.
  • Pinknspooky
    Pinknspooky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Save up old crockery - or buy it cheap from charity shops and when you feel the anger/stress grab some and have a smash and stomp on it - add in a bit of screaming if you have understanding neighbours!
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    One word "YOGA":happy:
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Maybe start lifting???
    After lifting I am just way too tired to have any anger, and I am always happy about any PR's that I hit.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I find things like general cardio, the elliptical, or a video aren't high impact enough to burn off stress for me. Lifting while angry is a bad idea for me, because my form goes out the window and I want to throw the weights around a bit.

High intensity intervals work for me. I put on a REALLY aggressive song (Pantera's "****ing Hostile", Slayer's "Payback", several others), crank the resistance level up, and beat the **** out of my elliptical until I'm struggling. Take a break to let my heart rate go down to something sane, then do it again. 3-4 REALLY intense intervals, and I'm usually feeling better... or tired. When you're busy trying to breathe, it's hard to remember to be mad. If you're still thinking about whatever is stressing you out, then you're not working hard enough!

A punching bag can be great too... I wish I could have one, but I'm renting, and don't really have a great place for one.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    One word "YOGA":happy:

I concur
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just got an older style standing punching bag and tried it out this morning. I'm in love!! Don't really know what the heck I'm doing but boy I feel better after smacking that thing around :-D
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options

It sure does! :)
  • Morgan103084
    Options
    i love music, and it seems to be a great stress reliever for me. when things get too crazy around the house i turn on "The Cha Cha Slide". If you never heard it, it's a cute song and it's got a dance that goes with it. so my kids can do this with me, even though they are the ones usually driving me crazy, it seems to help us all get our smiles back. you can find the music video on utube. ( I had to figure out what the charlie brown was!)
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Def. a punching bag... start jogging... and get some really upbeat music to go along with your workouts.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yoga or a punching bag, maybe alternate between the two...
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options

This is what I do! If that fails, running helps get the rage out. :)
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I hike for my emotional health. When I go early in the morning I am centered & focused the rest of the day. I lift for my physical health.