Sugar addiction

Options
13»

Replies

• MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The second is processed carbs, cookies, bread, crackers, cereals ect, They all cause a sugar craving in me. When I stick to whole natural foods, my sugar cravings go down.
    Very true for me as well.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Another fantastic book on sugar cravings and healthy lifestyle:

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Your-Cravings-Balanced-Increasing/dp/0743217055
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    Change to sugarfree and get your satisfaction that way.. getting too much sugar won't let you make much progress....

Just get started and stay on it..
    I'm gonna have to disagree with this one--to each their own, but I find the fake sweeteners make me feel like crap.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Chocolate's fairly good for you, provided it's actually chocolate. (many US candy bars use what's called "mockolate" these days, basically the ingredients are full of stuff like palm kernel oil and things that don't make it real chocolate)

You might try finding low-calorie hard candies. They're not filling, but if you want something sweet it gets the job done. I have a tin of what's called "fruit drops" from La Vie de La Vosgienne that I found in a fairly upscale market. They were cheap and it's 12 calories for 3 of them. I keep them on my desk since it's easier to reach for them than get my lazy butt up and find a cookie or a candy bar in the kitchen.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Change to sugarfree and get your satisfaction that way.. getting too much sugar won't let you make much progress....

Just get started and stay on it..
    I'm gonna have to disagree with this one--to each their own, but I find the fake sweeteners make me feel like crap.

Agreed, the artificial sweeteners can, a lot of times, be worse for you than real sugar. Many people have reactions like headaches and "the runs" to them. Plus, most aren't even that much lower in calorie count than the real thing.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    I needed to read this post today! I'm struggling really bad with sugar and carbs in general and just can't seem to get back on track with a healthy lifestyle. And I can so relate to not being able to have just a little bit. When I'm on this cycle, if I try to have just a small portion, I will drive myself crazy thinking about having more. I have done low carb before and it did help with the cravings. For you guys that have found success by utilizing a low carb diet, do you eat whole grains like whole wheat pasta and bread? Do those trigger the same reaction that processed carbs do? Thanks!
    This is my take on the carb issue--carbs are good, your body needs carbs, but some carbs are pure crap. THOSE are the ones to watch out for; I don't think going to an extremely low-carb diet is all that healthy, but you will find people that disagree. Look at the carbs you're eating. Are they real food or processed beyond recognition? Do they offer nutritional value? Here's an easy approach:
    - Cut out anything white (I'm talking bread, not cauliflower).
    - Buy whole-grain deli flats for sandwiches instead of bread. The bulk of your sandwich should be the filling, not the shell.
    - If the first ingredient (if you didn't know, ingredients are listed in order of quantity) isn't whole grain, don't buy it.
    - Don't confuse multi-grain and whole-grain. If you can get both, great, but whole-grain is more important.
    - Look at what you use rice and pasta for, and how much you use. The stuff is kind of flavorless, yet so many people will use a ton of it. Switch up your ratios so that your veggies comprise a larger part of the dish than the rice or pasta.
    - When you want rice or pasta, go for long-grain brown rice and whole-wheat pasta. But think about other options as well -- would beans work just as well? I used to put rice in a lot of my soups; now I add lentils or chickpeas instead.
    - Explore other whole-grain options, like quinoa. Just as easy to cook as rice, and is a pretty good protein source. Is also a great salad base.
    The whole point is not so much about cutting carbs because carbs are evil, but rather actively looking at your food and deciding if the nutrients it will feed your body are worth the calories it's bringing with it.

*edit* Ha! I got distracted and forgot my point -- which was, yes, I do feel a lot better eating this way, and sugar overall is now MUCH easier to resist. I have no problems passing up sweets I would have caved for a few months ago. But I still have my demons (damn you, Thin Mints!).
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    I cut cold turkey to beat my sugar addiction. Now, most things with sugar (refined / processed) in it i cannot stand.
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm starting to allow myself sweets when I want them, as long as I have the calories. Secondly, I tell myself the sweets will always be available tomorrow if I want more.

A couple things have happened since I've starting doing this:

1) I'm happier and more tolerable
    2) I eat less sweets because I can have them at anytime
    3) I'm realizing alot of the sweets I binged on before I don't really like all that much. The binges usually ocurred when I would be starting a restrictive diet the following day, which happened often.

I have this co-worker who takes days to eat a small bag of peanut M&M's. I never could understand it b/c I would polish off a bag in minutes. I now understand b/c I no longer feel guilty for eating them and don't have to stuff the whole bag down my throat since the M&M's aren't going anywhere.

Sorry for the rambling......
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this post today! I'm struggling really bad with sugar and carbs in general and just can't seem to get back on track with a healthy lifestyle. And I can so relate to not being able to have just a little bit. When I'm on this cycle, if I try to have just a small portion, I will drive myself crazy thinking about having more. I have done low carb before and it did help with the cravings. For you guys that have found success by utilizing a low carb diet, do you eat whole grains like whole wheat pasta and bread? Do those trigger the same reaction that processed carbs do? Thanks!
    This is my take on the carb issue--carbs are good, your body needs carbs, but some carbs are pure crap. THOSE are the ones to watch out for; I don't think going to an extremely low-carb diet is all that healthy, but you will find people that disagree. Look at the carbs you're eating. Are they real food or processed beyond recognition? Do they offer nutritional value? Here's an easy approach:
    - Buy whole-grain deli flats for sandwiches instead of bread. The bulk of your sandwich should be the filling, not the shell.
    - If the first ingredient (if you didn't know, ingredients are listed in order of quantity) isn't whole grain, don't buy it.
    - Don't confuse multi-grain and whole-grain. If you can get both, great, but whole-grain is more important.
    - Look at what you use rice and pasta for, and how much you use. The stuff is kind of flavorless, yet so many people will use a ton of it. Switch up your ratios so that your veggies comprise a larger part of the dish than the rice or pasta.
    - When you want rice or pasta, go for long-grain brown rice and whole-wheat pasta. But think about other options as well -- would beans work just as well? I used to put rice in a lot of my soups; now I add lentils or chickpeas instead.
    - Explore other whole-grain options, like quinoa. Just as easy to cook as rice, and is a pretty good protein source. Is also a great salad base.
    The whole point is not so much about cutting carbs because carbs are evil, but rather actively looking at your food and deciding if the nutrients it will feed your body are worth the calories it's bringing with it.

*edit* Ha! I got distracted and forgot my point -- which was, yes, I do feel a lot better eating this way, and sugar overall is now MUCH easier to resist. I have no problems passing up sweets I would have caved for a few months ago. But I still have my demons (damn you, Thin Mints!).
    You pretty much just described the South Beach "Diet".
  • ncbill
    ncbill Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi I think you crave what you eat, like if I eat fritos I want them the next day and it takes a few days for the craving to stop, damn I shouldn't have typed Frito's either ... must get some... I know it sucks but dont eat sweets or diet soda. I dont eat fast food any more and when I drove to PA for a funeral stopped at burger king, sonic and taco bell and threw my food out because it tasted like crap. My rule, in general, i had fried chicken yesterday who knows if it has polysaturated monoglycerides..I try not to think about it is dont eat anything with more than three syllables artificial 4 natural 3 raspberry, strawberry, banana all three dingleberry 4 syllables dont eat them so most chocolate is processed if you got dark charcolate with no bad juju not as sweet either and could stick to alittle great otherwise drop - good progree so far on ur weight loss
  • tcmc11
    tcmc11 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a sugar addiction as well, and it only gets worse if you don't control it. I am having quite a bit of relief from using artificial sweeteners in doctored-up healthy smoothies. Didn't think it would satisfy me but I was WRONG! The old protein-powder / ice / unsweetened baking cocoa / milk / Splenda thing....it tastes GOOOOD. I also throw in about 20 raw almonds and that gives it richness. Yum. Eat it in a long-stemmed glass with a spoon and you're having "ice cream".

Experiment around with low-cal or fat-free foods like cool whip or instant pudding or look for low-carb recipies for "desserts" online. It's not a cure-all but boy, does it help in the tough spots.
  • ambaree143
    Options
    It takes two weeks of not eating "bad sugars", from cookies, cakes, etc.. for your body to get past the addiction or craving that sugar rush. Amazingly enough, if you do something for two weeks consistently, like excercising everyday for two weeks, that becomes your new "habit". As hard as it is, because I have a really sweet tooth, try stopping eating all that enriched sugar, and get your taste buds to enjoy fruits in season. I know you mentioned that you didn't find it very helpful to stop that craving by eating fruit. Sometimes when I'm craving dessert, and I love dessert. I get a plain skimmed yoghurt, add whatever fruit is in season, like chopped mangos, or blueberries, and add a touch of cinnamon (that helps control glucose in your blood, helps to stabilize it), and a touch of honey if I really want something sweet. I don't know if that was helpful or not.....good luck.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options

You pretty much just described the South Beach "Diet".
    You think? I haven't read it, because what I've read about it says it advocates cutting out carbs altogether & replacing them with protein. I'm a big fan of carbs--veggies & fruit are carbs, and any "diet" that says veggies & fruit are bad is a crock to me. What I do agree with is cutting out the carbs (within reason) tha don't do jack for you.
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Because I can't just eat a bit of it! I end up wanting more after one bar and will go out and buy it once I have the taste for it, I'm like an alcoholic I can't just stop at one!

I soooooo totally understand what you are saying!!:grumble: This is what has helped me more than anything else. A lower carb diet. I eat LOTS of veggies and protein and good fats (and usually a small amount of fruit each day 1-2 servings) When I eat this way.....the cravings for anything sweet, carb loaded totally go away and the sweets do not even appeal.......truly! For me it is a miracle:bigsmile: ..........but anytime I go off plan, like I did on the 4th of July, I struggle again to get back. Today I am finally back and soooooo grateful to be rid of the cravings again. I wish you well! Hugs, Dyanna:flowerforyou:
    It totally understand what you are saying. I am a huge sugar addict. If I buy it, any will power I have normally goes out the window. So, I honestly don't buy it. If I am out at dinner and someone has some, I might have a little, don't want to deprive myself. But the key is not to bring it home.
    I also agree with the above quote. I tried the South Beach diet and it totally helped wean me off sugar.......
  • MissMitty
    MissMitty Posts: 4
    Options
    I was watching Dr oz and he mentioned that miracle berry. So I tried a tablet called frooties since I couldn't find the actual berry & I gotta say it made sour and bitter stuff like lemons and grapes etc taste sweet. I have a major sweet tooth. Like I'm a regular at sees candy sweet tooth. so I'm wondering if those
    Miracle berries might help me with this