Being skinny or looking good doesnt mean you are healthy

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Also, what is considered to be "short term?"

Lean gains define it as 16 hour fasts every day, I think... Eat stop Eat defines as 24 hour fasts, 2 times a week....

This would be my answer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Lean gains define it as 16 hour fasts every day, I think... Eat stop Eat defines as 24 hour fasts, 2 times a week....
    You kidding right? 16 hours fasts everyday? 24 hours twice a week? Did you personally tried to do some intense workouts without passing out? Cuz I eat in moderation and maybe not as much as I should, and sometimes have trouble already. And with no eating? Does your car drive without gas? If it does, I wanna buy the same kind of car

On a 16 hour fast you eat the same calories per day as you would if you were not on the fast. With the Eat Stop Eat one you eat the same as you would in a week as when you are not on it. Where is the problem? I would suggest you do some research as you do not understand the context.

We are not cars - we have energy stores - it's more like a motorbike that has a reserve tank.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

You kidding right? 16 hours fasts everyday? 24 hours twice a week? Did you personally tried to do some intense workouts without passing out? Cuz I eat in moderation and maybe not as much as I should, and sometimes have trouble already. And with no eating? Does your car drive without gas? If it does, I wanna buy the same kind of car

Ever heard of glycogen stores? The liver holds around 100 g while the muscles hold around 10g/kg. Meaning that most people can have close to 2000 calories worth of glycogen stored. Unless you're running a marathon, you aren't burning that much.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

16 hour fasts each day equates to an 8 hour feeding period per 24 hours. That could be ANY 8 hours...8am to 4PM....10 am to 6pm, whatever..just an 8 hour chunk. most of the "fasting" period is while sleeping, when you just wake up, and right before bed...doesn't sound so crazy now does it?

the 24 hour fasts with EatStopEat are done from dinner to dinner, so you DO eat each day, you don't wake up , go all day without food, and go to sleep hungry....you begin your 24 hours after a full day of eating but stop at about 5 PM or whatever, then don't eat the next day until 5PM, making 24 hours, but you eat a big fat dinner before bed.... see, NOT so crazy....

and your car/gas example?
    it's not running it without fuel...it's the difference between dropping a gallon into the tank every 20 miles you drive, or filling the whole tank and then going on a long road trip all at once....still got fuel, just loaded up for the long haul.....
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    1st off, Leangains doesn't restrict the amount of food you eat, just the time in which you can eat. 2nd I answered a question with the knowledge I had... and there are many people on MFP, who have found the systems to work for them, proving not everyone is the same.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    thank you. It does seem to be the general consensus that as long as you're skinny, losing, or under your calorie goals, you can eat whatever you want, but every time I see this I'm disgusted, and surprised that so many people still don't get it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    *deleted*
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i agree! i see many people who are having a cup of coffee for their daily intake. It's not a healthy way to lose weight, and all the pounds lost will come straight back on as soon as they eat something again!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I made my post with the intent to find people who care about their health and well being. But so many others sort of twisted this and emphasized on weight or "looking good." Im on the hunt for people that think about more than jean or dress size. I prefer to befriend people that also care about sodium, iron or sugar levels , pay attention to carb intake, people who know about vitamin supplements. PEOPLE THAT I CAN LEARN FROM. When im trying to eat healthy and i click on a diary of a person who looks healthy but only eats 600 calories a day with no exercise it just feels pointless to me. I want to click on a diary that reminds me to add flax seed in my oatmeal or to put hemp seed on my salad for extra omega benefit. I dont ridicule people. I dont argue like a high school girl. I dont condemn. I dont tell people how to eat or live or think they should do what i want to do. Im just looking for people with similar goals.

To be blunt, you would have been better off titling this "Looking for people who eat like me" or "Want friends with similar goals" instead of the provocative one you chose.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The big problem with trying to lose weight by eating very little is that your body still needs to get the calories from somewhere. If you're not eating it, then it will get this from the body itself.

Sure, this sounds all great and what not, but most people don't realize that muscle is easier to break down into usable energy than fat is. If your body needs the calories right away, which it will, it will start eating away at your lean muscle mass before it'll start eating away at fat.

From this, you will lose weight, but you'll still have all the fat. Once you stop this diet, which everyone would have to eventually, you'll have even fewer calorie-burning muscles, and it'll be a lot easier to put the pounds back on - as more fat.

The scary thing about it, is the new pounds will come on fast as visceral fat. Visceral fat is the fat underneath the abdomen muscles, around your organs. Your body puts the fat there, because it's easier to do so than it is anywhere else. this dramatically increases health risks, as visceral fat puts pressure on your internal organs.

The only truely healthy way to lose weight is through exercise. Your burn off the calories naturally, you still feed your body properly, and you build muscles which will help keep the fat off once you've stopped your diet.

The weight loss will be slower, but it'll stay off for as long as you keep working out.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    But one can also claim that going from obese to fit will cause a significant improvement in your overall health. I believe this to be true even in the presence of a "crappy" diet.

I'm not suggesting that people lose weight eating nothing but fast food, but I absolutely believe that the inclusion of some junk food among a diet that is mostly whole and nutrient dense, is completely fine.

I think you're right. When I started to lose my weight it was with exercise first. I hadn't even looked into how I was eating or anything yet (Was just taking things a step at a time) and just with the exercise and a few lbs lost I FELT so much BETTER!.

Having alot of weight against your body is not good, I'm obese by the way, probably morbidly obese, one of the ones that needs to lose 100 plus lbs so I know at my weight getting rid of the lbs does make a difference but diet is also suggestive. Fast food and all of that won't hurt you if its in moderation.

You'll get your fats, carbs and proteins from it (depending what you are getting) and you can always eat veggies along with it to compliment it. Just got to make sure you're eating balance and not over indulging.
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The big problem with trying to lose weight by eating very little is that your body still needs to get the calories from somewhere. If you're not eating it, then it will get this from the body itself.

Sure, this sounds all great and what not, but most people don't realize that muscle is easier to break down into usable energy than fat is. If your body needs the calories right away, which it will, it will start eating away at your lean muscle mass before it'll start eating away at fat.

From this, you will lose weight, but you'll still have all the fat. Once you stop this diet, which everyone would have to eventually, you'll have even fewer calorie-burning muscles, and it'll be a lot easier to put the pounds back on - as more fat.

The scary thing about it, is the new pounds will come on fast as visceral fat. Visceral fat is the fat underneath the abdomen muscles, around your organs. Your body puts the fat there, because it's easier to do so than it is anywhere else. this dramatically increases health risks, as visceral fat puts pressure on your internal organs.

The only truely healthy way to lose weight is through exercise. Your burn off the calories naturally, you still feed your body properly, and you build muscles which will help keep the fat off once you've stopped your diet.

The weight loss will be slower, but it'll stay off for as long as you keep working out.

This is such a good explanation! thank you for this :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Sure, this sounds all great and what not, but most people don't realize that muscle is easier to break down into usable energy than fat is. If your body needs the calories right away, which it will, it will start eating away at your lean muscle mass before it'll start eating away at fat .

I am a big believer in eating enough (heck, I eat 2,000 a day) but the bolded statements are totally wrong.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I made my post with the intent to find people who care about their health and well being. But so many others sort of twisted this and emphasized on weight or "looking good." Im on the hunt for people that think about more than jean or dress size. I prefer to befriend people that also care about sodium, iron or sugar levels , pay attention to carb intake, people who know about vitamin supplements. PEOPLE THAT I CAN LEARN FROM. When im trying to eat healthy and i click on a diary of a person who looks healthy but only eats 600 calories a day with no exercise it just feels pointless to me. I want to click on a diary that reminds me to add flax seed in my oatmeal or to put hemp seed on my salad for extra omega benefit. I dont ridicule people. I dont argue like a high school girl. I dont condemn. I dont tell people how to eat or live or think they should do what i want to do. Im just looking for people with similar goals.

To be blunt, you would have been better off titling this "Looking for people who eat like me" or "Want friends with similar goals" instead of the provocative one you chose.

Agreed - and posting it in the introduction section.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    So true! I'm one of those awful people who ate anything and stayed skinny, so I never worked out. But since signing up for a Warrior Dash and having to actually exercise I feel amazing. Instead of hating my body for irrational reasons I'm learning what it's capable of, and I've just naturally started craving healthier food.

Dropping from size 7 to size 5 is incidental, I'm way more proud and excited that I can do a handful of real pushups now (more soon) and run 5k (Tough Mudder next summer woo!).

But in fairness our society places a ridiculous premium on one very specific body type for women. People can't help but assume that getting to that shape will hold some sort of magic happiness for them.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Also, Im at the point now that i try my best to keep junk food out of my diet and away from my family as well. Im slowly learning more about processed and packaged foods and it really scares me. :-( Even in moderation it scares me.

Dosage and context are always relevant. Eating a little junk here and there shouldn't scare you. What SHOULD scare you is the potential to develop a fear of certain food items.

Adopting an all or nothing strategy where you completely eliminate food because of the belief that ANY amount of that food item is harmful, is probably not the best route to take both for dietary adherence, and sanity.

In my opinion, of course.
    EDIT: I'm not judging you when I share the above opinion. I just want to be clear on that since I don't tend to sugar coat things. I'm just sharing my opinion about this topic.

So just to understand you feel things like say McDonalds French Fries and burgers and Doritos are fine to include in a healthy diet and lifestyle? I think I understand your point, but as someone who used to indulge in those types of foods, I honestly do not think they have a place in a healthy diet or lifestyle in any amount.

I think the key to being healthy is finding healthy, wholesome replacements for all the processed crap food that is wrecking our lives. No being so restrictive we fail, Eating is an enjoyable part of life.

So for example, Instead of going and pigging out at McDonalds which is just pink slime burgers with tons of trans fats, sodium and calories, I will instead go to my local butcher who gets 100% whole beef burgers which are so fresh and lean they barely shrink when you grill them. I will grill a burger and put it on healthy fresh baked, toasted 12 grain bread with a little bit of fresh mozarella cheese and some sauted onions. I will have a completely satisfying, savory awesome burger, with no where near the crap and calories in a McDonalds burger. And I will only indulge in this every now and then - not eat it every day for lunch like many people in this country still do because they are addicted to the fat. sodium and sugars in processed junk foods.

I agree that part of a healthy diet is not restricting yourself but I disagree that processed junk food has a place anywhere near a healthy diet or lifestyle - especially now that there are so many healthy great tasting substitutes.
  • angelalawsons
    angelalawsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Agreed - and posting it in the introduction section.

well Im new around here so I wasnt sure WHERE to post this. But Im thankful that I was able to find a few new friends.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Also, Im at the point now that i try my best to keep junk food out of my diet and away from my family as well. Im slowly learning more about processed and packaged foods and it really scares me. :-( Even in moderation it scares me.

Dosage and context are always relevant. Eating a little junk here and there shouldn't scare you. What SHOULD scare you is the potential to develop a fear of certain food items.

Adopting an all or nothing strategy where you completely eliminate food because of the belief that ANY amount of that food item is harmful, is probably not the best route to take both for dietary adherence, and sanity.

In my opinion, of course.
    EDIT: I'm not judging you when I share the above opinion. I just want to be clear on that since I don't tend to sugar coat things. I'm just sharing my opinion about this topic.

So just to understand you feel things like say McDonalds French Fries and burgers and Doritos are fine to include in a healthy diet and lifestyle? I think I understand your point, but as someone who used to indulge in those types of foods, I honestly do not think they have a place in a healthy diet or lifestyle in any amount.

I think the key to being healthy is finding healthy, wholesome replacements for all the processed crap food that is wrecking our lives. No being so restrictive we fail, Eating is an enjoyable part of life.

So for example, Instead of going and pigging out at McDonalds which is just pink slime burgers with tons of trans fats, sodium and calories, I will instead go to my local butcher who gets 100% whole beef burgers which are so fresh and lean they barely shrink when you grill them. I will grill a burger and put it on healthy fresh baked, toasted 12 grain bread with a little bit of fresh mozarella cheese and some sauted onions. I will have a completely satisfying, savory awesome burger, with no where near the crap and calories in a McDonalds burger. And I will only indulge in this every now and then - not eat it every day for lunch like many people in this country still do because they are addicted to the fat. sodium and sugars in processed junk foods.

I agree that part of a healthy diet is not restricting yourself but I disagree that processed junk food has a place anywhere near a healthy diet or lifestyle - especially now that there are so many healthy great tasting substitutes.

For one, not everyone can go home and cook a burger all the time. We live in a hectic environment a lot of the time when convenience sometimes has to trump home cooked meals. Having a diet that also enables someone to have a little more time in their day is also good for peoples health (mental as well as physical). It is not a simple or black and white as processed junk food is detremental to a healthy lifestyle (emphasis on the word lifestyle). Also, many fast foods are actually not necessarily less 'healthy' than foods that are made at home. I actually never eat fast foods because I am a vegetarian and they are very meat orientated, but can see no issue with incorporating them in to someones diet if done occasionally. And with regard to processed food....it is not always 'bad for you'. Milk is processed, bread is processed, a whole bunch of stuff is processed. It does not necessarily mean it is bad for you (and yes, I realize the paleo folks will disagree).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Who said anything about pigging out? The key word you seem to ignore is "dosage" that is not eating everything there or even the majority of your food there, but eating a small amount.

Second, I believe even in the USA McDonald's has stopped using the pink slime, if they ever did. In Canada they cannot use it without clearly labeling there food as containing it. Frankly, I have no issue if a person wants to have a Big Mac if they fit it in their calories and better yet their macros. My only issue would be if all they eat are Big Macs.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Yes, I do think they are fine to include, with the key word being dosage. Do I think you should eat McDonalds twice per day? No. Do I think you can treat yourself every now and then? Absolutely.

I DO think processed foods should be limited and I think artificial trans fats should be very limited.

I'm not sure where you stand on this. In one sentence you say not being so restrictive that we fail but then you also say that we should replace ALL processed food.
    So for example, Instead of going and pigging out at McDonalds which is just pink slime burgers with tons of trans fats, sodium and calories, I will instead go to my local butcher who gets 100% whole beef burgers which are so fresh and lean they barely shrink when you grill them. I will grill a burger and put it on healthy fresh baked, toasted 12 grain bread with a little bit of fresh mozarella cheese and some sauted onions. I will have a completely satisfying, savory awesome burger, with no where near the crap and calories in a McDonalds burger.

Nothing wrong with that practice. I also find ways to replace various restaurant food with home-made versions so that I can reduce calories and have better control over food ingredients.

What I'm suggesting is that it's great to do the above when you can. When you CANT, then it's fine to eat a little bit of processed crap now and then.

I'm not suggesting that people should actively go out and seek to eat processed foods. If you can replace your favorite processed food item with something whole and nutrient dense and minimally processed then more power to you. I am disputing the necessity to do this 100% of the time under all circumstances.

Dieting is hard enough as it is. There is no need to adopt an all-or-nothing strategy. For one, I've not yet seen any evidence that there's a physiological need or benefit to do so given that you're capable of including a small portion of junk food into an otherwise healthy diet. This is again, where dosage comes into play.

And secondarily, I've said it before and I don't mean to keep tossing this word around, but orthorexia is a health concern too. Establishing a "taboo list" of foods (absolutely NO processed foods, ever!) is not a smart way to develop a good relationship with food.