Not letting Life pass me by anymore

Options
Mickey2u
Mickey2u Posts: 21 Member
Heya, my name is Mike most of my friends know me by Mickey which is my childhood nickname. I have lived in upstate South Carolina for the past 11 years before that I was born and raised in the Cleveland Ohio area. I am still a huge Browns, Indians, Cavs, and Ohio State fan. I even like Nascar now I think there’s something in the water that makes you start liking nascar after a while down here. anyway..

I am 30 years old and up to this point I have let life totally pass me by. As I have grown older and heavier since high school I have become a bit of a recluse. I am not comfortable with myself so how could I feel comfortable spending time in public. These days I basically go to work and visit my immediate family. If I'm not doing that i'm usually sitting at home watching tv or playing video games. Awesome I know right... best life ever... yea no it’s not..

Well last year I turned 30 and it kind of hit me like a truck. How the hell did i become 30 already... What the hell... When I log on facebook all of my friends and cousins are all married and have kids. I am happy for them but it makes me depressed. I want that not what I have right now. So I decided it was time for a change. My first goal was to stop smoking and i accomplished that with the help of electronic cigg’s. I have been off the electronic cigg for over a year also.

After that I set my sights on my weight. When I started around January of 2012 I was at a my personal high weight 416lbs. I first started with weight watchers which i had tried in the past before the new point system and i lost around 28lbs way back then. But after a couple of months trying the new points plus system my weight wasn’t moving. It felt like I had so many points I could eat anything I wanted. I know you don’t have to use all of your points but my brain convinces me that this is ok. Plus weight watchers is freaking expensive.

Around the middle of May I purchased a fitbit and started tracking my calories but i’ll be honest I was getting lazy about inputing all the food caloric data on fitbit’s site their database even when something is already put in isn’t reliable most of the data seems to be off. This lead me to the myfitnesspal site. I have been using it for about a week now and It has been great it even integrates data from my fitbit.

I feel like things are starting to turn around for me but it is a long road ahead. Feel free to send friend invites. I’m in it for the long haul.

Replies

• butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hello if you need a friend you can add me. Peace my friend.
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good for you Mike! You will find a lot of support here on MFP. Glad you joined.
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    hiya

I use to be with WW but I also like yourself couldnt get to grips with the new point system and the new sins they now have like slimming world! I have alot of weight to lose and have already lost abit but i think it would be great to add u =]
  • kzemke
    kzemke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you might be in the groove. Keep going, you'll be much happier. It took a long time to gain it, it'll seem like twice as long to lose it. But it's a new lifestyle. Good Luck.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Good luck mike! There are tons of great people here that can help keep you motivated!
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike, you are not alone. At 38, I realized I had let myself slide in trade for managing a family of 7. But what counts is that you are trying again. Don't give up. Self-doubt is your biggest enemy...don't let it win!
  • laurannjeffrey
    Options
    It really does suck when you wake up one day and you're 30 something, 40 something etc...I'm trying to figure out where all these wrinkles came from lol. The best part Mike is that you already kicked a HUGE habit- SMOKING. (I smoked for 27 years and have been a non-smoker for 2 years and 4 months)
    Once you get it in your head that you kicked one habit, it makes you stronger mentally to kick the rest of your bad habits. You've got one hell of a head start.....AWESOME JOB!
    Like you, I was letting life pass me by, but for different reasons. But I have resolved NOT to let that happen any longer :)
  • Mickey2u
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Gonna make it work this time.
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike, good luck to you. I've only just joined up myself, so not really sure what I'm doingeither, but determined to lose 20 kilos. I don't own a set of scales, but I guess that will change so that I can keep track of what I'm doing. I purchased a fitbit last night to give me a bit of a kick up the bum exercise wise, otherwise I'm pretty much relying on watching what I eat through this site. Here's hoping we can both achieve our goals!
  • Mickey2u
    Options
    I posted this over a year ago. Started well but didn't last. I'm giving it a go again :)
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you stopped smoking the world is your oyster! Just log in daily, the community is very supportive and a lot of useful info on this site! Good luck sir!
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Good for you Sir! I don't think anyone can say it's easy, but at least you made the effort to come back and try it again.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. Log you calories, up your calorie burn, monitor results = Success. You can do this.