Question for experienced runners?

Options
I would like to start a running routine. The problem right now is that I can barely run or even jog at all right now. After only a minute of running I am gasping for air and have to stop running and walk instead. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who started out like me and is now a bonified runner. If so, how did you get to that point? What was your routine? Any tips for me? Thanks so much for reading.

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I would like to start a running routine. The problem right now is that I can barely run or even jog at all right now. After only a minute of running I am gasping for air and have to stop running and walk instead. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who started out like me and is now a bonified runner. If so, how did you get to that point? What was your routine? Any tips for me? Thanks so much for reading.

Do exactly what you are doing. Run, walk, catch your breath and heart rate, run again... Just keep repeating. After a while, you will walk less, run more... then eventually you will just keep running. 5 months ago I ran for 11 minutes and dropped on my floor when I got home for almost 30 minutes and couldn't move. This Sunday I am running 13.1 miles in my first half marathon.

Just keep doing what you're doing...
  • jigglybits
    jigglybits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am the same as u I've just started a programme called couch to 5k check it out
  • Philde04
    Options
    I am nowhere near an experienced runner... however, I did start out where you are and got to the point where I could easily run a mile with no problem at all. It just takes time, set mini goals for yourself. I started out BARELY being able to make it to 1/4 mile at a time, then I worked up to 1/2 mile and so on until I finally could run 1.5 miles... It probably took me a couple of months to get to that point. But dont' get discouraged.. just keep wroking at it... just run until you literally feel like you cannot run anymore and gradually try to increase your distance. I got sick for a few weeks and got out of the habit of running everyday so now I'm starting over again too!! Good luck to you!!!
  • lnjwilliams1432
    Options
    i started out just like you! now....i run 5 miles a day! keep up the good work!
  • Ecjohn32
    Options
    If you want a program to try check out the PodRunner Intervals Podcast on iTunes. There are several programs and the one I did was First Day to 5K. It is interval training starting with low intervals and building up to where you actually run 5K. It is a free podcast and I found it very helpful.
  • renee22
    Options
    couch to 5K program is a great way to start out & build your running endurance....or check out anything by Jeff Galloway...all of his programs (even marathon training) are based around mixing running & walking!

start out slow & stick to it....before you know - you'll be able to run a full mile!
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with chgudnitz. I remember when I thought it impossible to run for a minute, let alone a mile. Don't get discouraged, keep with it. Run for as long as you can, and then walk, when you've caught you're breath, run again. Challenge yourself and see how far you can take it. I've also heard good things about the couch to 5k if you need a concrete plan. Stick with it and you WILL succeed!
  • mhayes13
    mhayes13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For the Couch to 5K Checkout this site http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml I have never been a runner and just started week three and I really like it. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'll just reiterate what everyone else said, the C24K is amazing! I've never run in my life and will be 50 on my next birthday and I'm out there doing it!! You can too!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k, First Day to 5k, Dr Jenny's 5k plan.. all are good. They basically have you doing what you're doing now - run, walk, run, walk.

My best advice? Get good shoes, and stick with it. The first few weeks won't feel so good until you start to find your comfortable running pace (at least they did for me). Then it gets less tough. Go for times, not distance at first to start building endurance.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Bell, I was just like you only worse. I could barely run a few feet before becoming exhausted. I started doing the couch to 5k program and tonight I will attempt to run for 20 minutes. Just a word of warning though, it very addictive. :laugh: You can google c25k. There are a number of podcasts you can download. There are also a few threads on MFP you can join if you want also. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • swissdutchess
    Options
    I totally was like that! Plus, I hated running. But I started out just going at a slow speed for about 10 min a day. From there I worked up. After about a week or two of running for 10 min, I'd then run for 15 for another week or two, and then 20, 25, and so on. As I ran more and more, by body naturally got stronger, and so did my lungs and heart so that I had the strength to pick up my speed as well as my time. Now I run 10 minute miles or less and run about 5-6 miles a day, and even longer distances on the weekends. Its all about building up and being determined to do it. It helps to buy cute and fun running gear, too! I always get excited to use it. :) If you run outside, look into getting the Nike ipod + (for the ipod nano/shuffle, or the bracelet). Totally helps w/ the details of your run. And it is SO important to get some seriously good running shoes. I got one bad pair and suffered from tendinitis in my hip for almost two months. Gah! So make sure to invest in a good pair of running shoes! (I LOVE the Nike Pegasus). Good luck!
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the great advice. I am inspired to hear your running stories. You have given me hope that I may one day be able to run without feeling like I am going to die.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Also, join the MFP running club! Everyone is welcome! Its great for advice, and there are people there of all skill levels.
  • belldandy1
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a good pair of running shoes for women? Preferably ones that won't completely break my bank (poor college student here).
  • belldandy1
    Options
    Also, join the MFP running club! Everyone is welcome! Its great for advice, and there are people there of all skill levels.

Thank you, I think I will.