Really Need Encouragement

Options
2»

Replies

• speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    take each day as it comes,make small changes daily -watch portion size drink water-and walk-feel free to add
  • aaruskey1
    aaruskey1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this without fancy equipment or a gym membership. I was 226 lbs over a year ago and started P90X (my friend lent me the videos). I couldn't fit into any of the clothes at work (I worked for J.Crew) and that was honestly my motivator. I would look in the mirror and be so angry that I couldn't even wear what I sold. That was the breaking point as well as what fueled my drive to make a change. There are so many online resources for exercises that you can work into a routine or just even getting outside to walk/jog and use a GPS app to track your distance/time. I find online tools all the time to help me out.

Feel free to add me if you need encouragement or even just someone to give you a swift kick to stay on track. This was a lifestyle change for me and is a part of my day to stay on track.
  • angelsingin4jc
    Options
    Hi Critter, Are you just starting? Have you lost at all? Just realize, you have to increase your activity and decease the total calories that you eat. You will find if you get a notebook and write everything down that you eat everyday and be accurate with the calories. That means no chip, no cookies no donuts or thing like that. You can get your excersise by walking , but as you get into it you have to incease your speed some. Just realize, that for the 1st couple of weeks you won't see any great results, it takes time. But you will be happy as time goes by . The biggest thing, you have to want to lose!!!

Basil

I don't mean to sound rude, so please don't take it that way, but if you have a lot to lose, the pounds will melt off at the beginning. Changing your life from lots of calories to fewer calories has a bigger effect on people who weigh more. Also, I do agree with the "no junk" at first. I didn't have sweets/junk food for the first month, so my body could detox a little. I now can have a snack or some frozen yogurt/ice cream and only have a serving! Measure everything! Learn what a serving size of each food looks like. Pre-plan your meals. Plug everything into your diary at once so you can adjust accordingly. Do NOT eat your exercise calories. You can, but the progress won't go as quickly. Be HONEST. If you have a cup of something, don't enter 1/2 cup. If you can't find the exact brand, overestimate calories. It's better for your diary to reflect more than you actually ate than to under estimate and eat more than you've recorded. Focus on your workouts. When you're out walking, don't do the bare minimum! Push until it burns! Sweat profusely. Don't give a darn about how you look to others. They don't matter! You're saving your life here! Let them think what they want! :-)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. I am on here everyday, a couple of times a day.
    I have found that counting calories has really worked for me...that and having the support and motivation of my MFP friends. They're awesome!!
    We can motivate and support each other thru this journey.
  • angelsingin4jc
    Options
    You will find lots of encouraging and supportive friends here. If you have Netflix, I believe they have exercise DVDs that you can rent (maybe even watch instantly, but I don't know for sure).

I only use the streaming version of Netflix, but there are TONS of workout DVDs on there! I love the ten minute ones! The kickboxing and dancing ones are my favorites!
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    You can also do some circuit training- I don't go to the gym either.

http://exercise.about.com/od/circuittrainingworkouts/Circuit_Training_Workouts.htm

"If you think you can, you're right! If you think you can't, you're right!" ~ Henry Ford
  • jeannelawrie
    jeannelawrie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I still have quite a way to go and have done a lot of what I have accomplished so far with home workouts and walking. The fact that you found this site, is already a great start. You can do this and please feel free to add me if you want another friend and person to support you!
  • CSU2012
    CSU2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just started my diet yesterday. I'll tell you what I plan to do. I have a treadmill, but don't want to start out my exercising with that. It's soooo boring. Walking outside gets boring too. I plan to start out by vigorously cleaning. For example, today, I chose to clean out my refrigerator. This was a very strenuous exercise for me, since I'm so large. I burned 572 calories in the 90 minutes of cleaning! It was a great workout, and definately not boring at all. It went by so fast! Tomorrow, I plan to thoroughly clean out the freezer section of my refrigerator. Some other vigorous cleaning you could do: wash your car by hand; completely detail your car; repaint a room; clean out your closet; clean out your dresser drawers, clean out your child's closet, etc. I hope this helps to get you motivated to exercise. Best of luck to you! From: CSU2012, (in Denham Springs, Louisiana-USA)
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love to walk, mostly because I love to be outside after being in an office all day. I walk carrying 5 lb hand weights so that I can get some upper body workout in as I am walking. I just started 5 weeks ago and I am up to 4 miles a day ( with lots of hills) 6 days a week and I love it!! If you can incorporate some hills in to your walk it will be an added workout. Just watch your calories in, start walking and drink plenty of water and you will see a difference. Please feel free to add me and just remember you can do this!!