Bikes

I am looking to start bicycling as an optional alternative to the walking that I do, but the issue I have is trying to find a good bike or even where to start when looking for one. I do know I want a mountain bike and it needs to be able to hold 250lbs minimum. I know nothing about brands so I could use some help from those that do bicycling. Also, are there any gadgets you can attach to your bike that will tell your speed, etc.?

Replies

• love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    I have a Trek hybrid bike and I love it! It is 18 years old and still going strong. Yes, there are gadgets available to check your speed, etc. I ordered mine from a place called Performance, but you should be able to get them at a bike store. I would suggest going to a good bicycle store, and they are usually very helpful in fitting you!
  • Cravepain
    Cravepain Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you for the help!

I have heard of Trek bikes but don't know much about them. Do you know anything about the brand Mongoose? I see those often and they look decent but that doesn't mean they are good, so I am a bit curious on those as well.
  • wazjoe
    wazjoe Posts: 20
    I bought a standard mountain bike from Walmart for about $100. It holds my weight fine and I'm around 320 atm.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-NEXT-Power-X-Men-s-Mountain-Bike-Orange/20701219

Thats what I bought.
  • Cravepain
    I bought a standard mountain bike from Walmart for about $100. It holds my weight fine and I'm around 320 atm.

Thats what I bought.

This is perfect for my boyfriend who is also looking for a bike, thank you!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    I would stay away from the Mongoose if you are going to really do some riding. The Trek hybrid or fitness bike is definately the way to go unless you plan on running on pretty rough terrain then go with their mountain bike. The Trek will cost you a bit more, around $500, but if you're riding it several time a week or more it will be worth it.

Pretty sure any well made bike will handle 250 lbs.
  • wazjoe
    wazjoe Posts: 20
    Your welcome :) I'd recommend buying a seat cushion along with it also lol.
  • Pearson221
    Pearson221 Posts: 7 Member
    What price range are you looking at? If you can afford it, a Trek bike is a solid investment. Be sure to be properly fitted though -- I recommend going to a bike store as opposed to a big box.
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    I imagine you are going to get all kinds of opinions here, but really it should come down to what you want. If your looking for a higher grade expensive bike that will preform better than you can push it. Then you should bring your check book to the bicycle store. But If you are just looking to pedal around and not break the bank a Wal-Mart bike will do you just fine. They are not the best bikes but they do work well.
  • Cravepain
    I want a bike that can handle quite a bit, so not just something that is cheap and wont last long. I plan on using it a few times a week on the trails near me which have a lot of hills and what not so something sturdy would be great of course. Price range, $500 is a bit much for me at the moment. I am looking more around $200 - $300.
    Your welcome :) I'd recommend buying a seat cushion along with it also lol.

I have a feeling most bikes don't come with comfy seat so a cushion is for sure on the list, lol.

Oh and nice shirt by the way. My boyfriend has the exact same one. I assume you are a gamer/computer geek as well. :P
  • I want a bike that can handle quite a bit, so not just something that is cheap and wont last long.

Then stay away from Walmart.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member

Thats what I bought.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS - me as well.
    And it's been great!
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    I bought a $79 Murray (like a Huffy) mountain bike at k-mart 20 years ago and it's still going strong. I've been 200 at the heaviest but I'm sure any mountain bike can hold 250 easy. A bike store can sell you a "computer" that tells your speed and miles, and they can install it for you, too. I agree with the prior poster, get the cushiest seat you can find. I have a wide "gel" padded seat and it's great - it means I don't have to wear padded shorts. I don't suggest getting an expensive bike yet, because those really are sized differently for different weights. Ie, if you get down to 150 lbs, you'd probably want a different expensive bike from the one you bought at 250 lbs. I suggest holding off on an expensive bike until you get closer to your goal weight, and then buy the expensive bike as a reward. I'd also like to add, that if you want cycling clothes, www.teamestrogen.com will have your size. They have the best plus size selection that I've found.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    I want a bike that can handle quite a bit, so not just something that is cheap and wont last long.

Then stay away from Walmart.
    THIS
    (also, stay away from Target, Meijer, etc)
  • sathor
    I would stay away from the Mongoose if you are going to really do some riding. The Trek hybrid or fitness bike is definately the way to go unless you plan on running on pretty rough terrain then go with their mountain bike. The Trek will cost you a bit more, around $500, but if you're riding it several time a week or more it will be worth it.

If the mongoose is 15 years old it might be fine....

Many bikes at Walmart actually have it labels in random places that they can only hold 225~250, some are even less. Sometimes, it's on the tires!
  • sathor

Thats what I bought.

This is perfect for my boyfriend who is also looking for a bike, thank you!

Why do you hate your boyfriend? Next/Kent brand bikes are disposable. They are not designed to last more than 1 summer. My backup bike is a 1974 Schwinn. (Not one of the crap Schwinns you will see at walmart)
  • sathor
    Thank you for the help!

I have heard of Trek bikes but don't know much about them. Do you know anything about the brand Mongoose? I see those often and they look decent but that doesn't mean they are good, so I am a bit curious on those as well.

Mongoose got eaten by a series of companies back in the late 90's, and is now a crap brand. I had one of the last higher end ones, and it got stolen off a second floor balcony. I wouldn't buy one for anyone over 8 year old.
  • sathor
    http://khsbicycles.com/05_flite_223l_12.htm 2012 Ladies version of my main bike, I like it, but it is a heavy steel bike. I expect it will last a life time. (It held me at 245# with no issues, and has rack mounts, so even after I get a better bike for racing, it will still be my touring bike, unless I cave and order http://khsbicycles.com/05_flite_tr_101_12.htm which I think just looks wicked evil.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    I stopped to look up where you're from before I wrote more about clothes. I don't buy the fancy bike clothes - I just wear a tshirt & shorts in summer and $10 JC Penny leggings in spring & fall. But I have found it necessary to get special clothes for cold weather. I have a windbreaker that's longer in back so that it stays down on the bike, a really great jacket that has polar fleece where the wind hits the body on the front and thinner breathable fabric on the middle back & underarms (I LOVE this jacket because it adjusts to different temps so well), and then I have a thin winter "shell" that also has zippers under the arms. It's like a winter jacket but with hardly any padding. It's for people who exercise outdoors in the winter (just like what skiers wear, and you'll like it when you ice skate, ski, bike, run, walk, shovel the driveway - anytime you exercise in the cold). The windbreaker was about $70 and the polar fleece and winter shell jackets were each $100. I NEVER spend that much on clothing - I'm the kind of girl who bought a 2nd hand wedding dress to save $ - but I found I had to spend good money to stay warm & comfortable on cold bike rides.

I also want to say that it pays get get BRIGHT shirts & jackets so that inattentive drivers see you on the road. I tend to wear lime green, hot pink & red tshirts for that reason. Don't wear black tshirts or anything that blends in! Us plus size women usually have a lot of black clothing & don't want to stand out, but don't be embarrassed to stand out when you're out on your bike. Better to be seen than not seen. Also, do invest in clip-on lights for your bike. I bought mine at Target. Because sometimes the sun goes down sooner than expected, especially in the fall. Where I live, it's the law to have lights on your bike if you're biking after dark. But mostly I like being able to see unexpected obstacles in the road! My lights helped me avoid running into a fallen tree right at the last minute just last night, when I got out late because my kids held me up.

I forgot to say, www.campmor.com has your size, and great prices, although they're a discounter and so finding the right thing there is hit-or-miss.
  • Cravepain
    I stopped to look up where you're from before I wrote more about clothes. I don't buy the fancy bike clothes - I just wear a tshirt & shorts in summer and $10 JC Penny leggings in spring & fall. But I have found it necessary to get special clothes for cold weather. I have a windbreaker that's longer in back so that it stays down on the bike, a really great jacket that has polar fleece where the wind hits the body on the front and thinner breathable fabric on the middle back & underarms (I LOVE this jacket because it adjusts to different temps so well), and then I have a thin winter "shell" that also has zippers under the arms. It's like a winter jacket but with hardly any padding. It's for people who exercise outdoors in the winter (just like what skiers wear, and you'll like it when you ice skate, ski, bike, run, walk, shovel the driveway - anytime you exercise in the cold). The windbreaker was about $70 and the polar fleece and winter shell jackets were each $100. I NEVER spend that much on clothing - I'm the kind of girl who bought a 2nd hand wedding dress to save $ - but I found I had to spend good money to stay warm & comfortable on cold bike rides.

I also want to say that it pays get get BRIGHT shirts & jackets so that inattentive drivers see you on the road. I tend to wear lime green, hot pink & red tshirts for that reason. Don't wear black tshirts or anything that blends in! Us plus size women usually have a lot of black clothing & don't want to stand out, but don't be embarrassed to stand out when you're out on your bike. Better to be seen than not seen. Also, do invest in clip-on lights for your bike. I bought mine at Target. Because sometimes the sun goes down sooner than expected, especially in the fall. Where I live, it's the law to have lights on your bike if you're biking after dark. But mostly I like being able to see unexpected obstacles in the road! My lights helped me avoid running into a fallen tree right at the last minute just last night, when I got out late because my kids held me up.

I forgot to say, www.campmor.com has your size, and great prices, although they're a discounter and so finding the right thing there is hit-or-miss.

I never really thought about needing special clothes for bike riding. It does make a lot of sense for the winter and here in Michigan it gets pretty cold. Thank you so much for all of your help. I will be checking out that website. :)

And great point about the bright clothes. I do own darker colors so it seems I have some shopping to do! lol.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member

I agree about going for a good bike. The bike makes all the difference in the world. I bought mine last summer. It's a Trek hybrid. If you buy from the Trek store youget free lifetime adjustments/alignments. They're very helpful there. Mine is a mid level model and it was $319 - but it has 24 gears -- more than I need really. I also have the computer that calculates time riden, calories, etc. it was $50 there but I think it can be foun elsewhere cheaper. I love my bike and remember it's an investment and will last a good long time if you get a good one. The Trek store will make sure the pedals, seat, etc are all set for the height that is appropriate for your body. Something else to consider.