Hello, I am new! Anyone here with hypothyroidism?

Options

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer and they removed my thyroid surgically, followed by cancer treatments....took awhile to get my tsh levels back in good range with levoxyl.

I have lost 60 pounds since my cancer diagnosis and subsequent removal of the thyroid. Without a thyroid, I am about as hypothyroid as anyone can be!! If your tsh is in good range, and you watch what you eat and exercise regularly, you can lose weight. Make sure you take your medication as prescribed (on an empty stomach with a full glass of water, don't eat anything for at least an hour afterwards). good luck!
  • babycakes4060
    Options
    It's a struggle but it can be done! Stay on top of yr labs and communicate with yr doctor.

:flowerforyou:
  • spoiledfroggy
    Options
    It is a struggle but you've got to keep taking the medicines or other things happen. I've learned the hardway. I'm diabetic too plus some other things are wrong with me. It's not easy losing weight. I've worked so hard, many times and it keeps coming back on me. Hopefully, my determination is good this time.

I encourage you to keep taking the medicines. Have your levels checked regularly. I take 125mcg every day. I know that sounds alot but thyroid cancer runs in my family.

I've learned to count everything I eat. Exercise.. sometimes I push myself to do it and I have to stay away from real sugared Items because of the diabetes.

Glad you're on here. Add me if you like. A support system is always good to have. :smile: :smile:
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I am 40 and hypo. I am on medication. Medication alone won't make you lose weight. For me the medication allowed me to regulate my thyroid so I could lose weight. To lose I have to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Upped my protein, count every calorie, and work out 6 days a week for a minimum of 50 minutes a day. This was what worked for me. Now 5 pounds away from goal weight. Stick with one ingredient foods as much as possible like Egg, Lettuce, Chicken, banana, apple etc... I find the more one ingredient foods I eat the more I can eat. I do also eat back most of my exercise calories.
    Try to stay away from the scale. Measure weekly and log your measurements. I was losing a 1/2 inch to an inch a week but the scale did not move for 2 months. Then the weight started slowly and I mean slowly coming off.
  • sweetsong32
    sweetsong32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have had hypothyroidism since I was 14. A few years ago I had trouble. My dosage of meds just didn't work anymore. After raising my dosage AND switching to taking it at night before bed, I am doing a lot better. I just restarted my weight loss journey at the end of April. SO far I have lost 26 pounds. I had to completely redo the way I ate. NO more sodas. NO more processed foods. I rarely eat out anymore either. I eat fresh fruits and veggies (organic when possible) and try to get plenty of good protein. I also drink a lot of water. I walk 6 days a week. Right now the longest I've gone is 34 minutes. I am working up to longer. :)
    I have such a long way to go, but at least I've started the journey!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed aboaut 8 years ago. I'm 47 now. I kept some of the weight off, with regular workouts and eating pretty clean. It can be done !!!
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I was hyperthyroid until my surgery in 2010(I couldn't take enough medication to balance everything because I was pregnant), now I'm hypothyroid. It's been a struggle the last 2 years to lose weight and work out but I'm down over 30lbs since January and I'm still working at it. Feel free to add me!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I also have hypothryroidism... have been on meds for atleast 12 years.
    It hasn't hampered me, so I can't comment there, but I am here to support you if you'd like :)

I have yo-yo'd with my weight, but for me that was honestly just becuase I ate like crap and did nothing....
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yup. Been dealing with it for over five years (only recently got it under control). It sucks.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

there are over 1000 people in this group, great support and information.

see you all there.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos which is an Auto-Immune Thyroid disease, meaning I will have it forever and that my own antibodies are attacking my thyroid and will eventually kill it. Great right? I have extreme fatigue and haven't been able to loose weight in 10 years. I'm not giving up, but like someone else said, I wouldn't wish this upon anyone, not even my worse enemy. Keep your chin up

Greaaat! I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's last week. I had lost over 100 pounds and kept it off for years. I'm super active and careful about my calorie intake and I suddenly put on 25 pounds. It seemed physically impossible. I saw three doctors who all assumed I was lying about how much I exercise and how much I eat, before finding the doctor that diagnosed the Hashimoto's. He started me on medication and a low carb diet. I was hopeful that it would improve things. This thread has pretty much crushed that!
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hypo here as well. Have been diagnosed for 10 years. I was real bad about taking my meds for a long time but now I'm good with hit. (you can log your medications on here as well, which helps me a lot). I thought losing weight would never happen but truth is, I never really really tried because I was afraid my thyroid would cause me to fail. About a month ago I decided it was enough and really started trying. I am very careful about what I eat and I work out every day. At first it was hard because I was tired but now I have more energy than I have had in years. I feel, dare I say, normal. Hypothyroidism can be managed very well as long as you see your doc, take your meds, and as for your health....don't let your diagnoisis stop you. You can do it.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Well, actually I no longer have my thyroid. The first thing you need to do is make sure the doctor has been you on the right level of medicine to make it work correctly. I have been losing weigh using the zone diet. It's 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. The zone diet is a proven approach to losing weight for people with hypothyroidism.
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i'm waiting for a follow-up appointment to find out if i have this, but it's never caused any weight problems that i'm aware of. i originally went in for night sweats and just excessive sweating in general. i was much bigger up until last year, but i'm pretty sure i know the culprit there and have kicked it to the curb.
  • littlecandy428
    littlecandy428 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism and have been struggling with me weight for about ten years. It's seemed I was fine until after my third pregnancy. I tool was also really bad about taking my medications (never on a consistent basis). My Enough moment hit me about two months ago when I realized I weighed the same as my husband. Tired, fed up and not wanting to keep buying bigger clothes I am working really hard now. I am taking my meds everyday, and am trying to do some sort of exercise at least 5 - 6 times a week (mostly Zumba and walking). I am officially down 14.6 lbs but still have a long way to go. I don't know if it's realistic to think I'll hit my goal of 65 lbs but I can't give up. I am only 34 years old and I have a lot of life ahead of me. I am welcoming more diet buddies here! I have found this really does help me stay focused! :glasses:
  • hispurplelotus
    Options
    Welcome!! I have hypothyroidism as well as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I understand the struggle. I've lost weight before but have never changed my lifestyle. This is definitely going to be a process but this site is fully of amazing & encouraging people. :smile:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It is very frustrating trying to lose weight with hypothyroidsim. Add to that the fact that I am also insulin resistant, and it's a recipe for an obesity disaster. I certainly did not help the situation by continuing to eat high calorie, high fat, high sodium, high cholesterol foods for so many years, either. I was medicated in March of this year for both conditions. I haven't notice a huge difference in my weight loss yet, but my thyroid meds are not completely regulated yet. I'm hoping that with consistent diet and exercise and regulated meds, the weight will start to come off again. The most important thing I can do for myself to keep from getting frustrated and throwing up my hands is to keep reminding myself that my primary goal is to get healthy and losing weight is only a part of that. Eating right and exercising regularly is always good for me, even if the scale isn't moving. And if I give up and go back to my old habits, I will end up right back where I started. I can't...I WON"T...go back there again. I will keep off what I've already lost and keep pushing to lose the rest, or I will die trying. Going back is NOT and option for me.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am hypo also. When i tell people they are shocked because I am thin, but I know that I need my meds adjusted when I shoot up in weight, I get super tired, and my period screws up.

I am on 125mcg of Levothyroxine. I am eating 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil/day. I read that one of the benefits of coconut oil is thyroid function. Now, I am not sure if it has helped me since I have not had my levels tested yet, BUT, when I do, I will post a thread on it if my numbers have changed.
  • Ozzy283
    Ozzy283 Posts: 8
    Options
    What did they precribed you and when?

I had the same problem. I gained weight, was tired all the time, and became very short of breath for no reason. I was prescribe Levathroid and since then I've seen a major difference. It took about 2 months for the meds to fully kick in, but since then it's help "stabilize" my weight and weight loss.