A Cheat Day That Wasn't

Options
Short version: Doctor supervised calorie-restricted high-protein "diet." Goal is to train my body into more appropriate portion sizes and work back into a normal eating routine without doing the "600-calorie, lose-it/gain-it" bounce. Started with a resting metabolism test to determine my baseline.

Fast-forward to today. I use one day a week as a cheat day. That doesn't mean go out and eat a case of Twinkies (I really wanted a Snickers today in the checkout line, but can't justify 300 calories in that little bar to myself anymore)... it means I can eat outside my protein/carb/calorie guidelines.

Started with a normal high-protein breakfast with some fat like Tim recommends in 4-hour body (that's NOT my diet guideline, BTW). For dinner and late evening I ended up using the HEB Ultra Thin Pizza crusts to make personal-sized pizzas for meals since I was craving pizza and like thin crust. All in with toppings, cheese, sauce, and an "emergency" pack of Bacon Jerky during the day (spent 5 hours with my wife at the doctor - she's fine, just a bad stomach bug), I was still around 800-calories BELOW my BMR.

So I had a cheat day, but have lost my appetite for bad carb calories completely... and had a cheat day that was still a negative calorie day for me.

As long as I'm negative 10,000 calories for the week, I'm good. Tomorrow, it's back to grilled chicken salads, fat-free cheese omelets, etc... and I'm just fine with that.

Just thought I'd tell the story that when you're used to eating fewer calories (I'm 1200-1500/day) and have a high BMR, even cheat days can still be positive negatives.

Replies