Yoga help

Options
Hello! I joined MFP in May, but have only recently started looking at and participating in the message boards. I'm hoping there are some other yoga enthusiasts out there that can offer some ideas!
I do yoga for a few reasons -- it helps with my back injury (got hit by a semi & have several bulging discs as a result), it helps keep my PTSD (Iraq) in check, and it leaves me feeling energized and happy. I go to classes at a gym here, because it's the only place that offers anything on the weekends or weeknights and it has child care (I'm a single parent). My work schedule being what it is, I'm not able to get to the evening classes as frequently as I'd like. And about once a month, they bring in an expert for a full-day workshop, and the child care limit is 2 hours. I don't want to go all day anyway, because I want to spend time with my daughter--and you have to pay extra for the workshops, so if I left early, I'd be paying $50 (on top of my membership) for 2 hours of yoga.
All of that is to say, while the gym I'm going to for yoga is the best of the available options, I really want to do yoga at home as well. For some reason, though, it just hasn't worked for me so far -- the DVD poses are too fast, and I don't end the session with that amazing post-yoga high. Do any of you have experience with this? I'm wondering where I'm going wrong, and what I can do to build a good, rewarding yoga practice at home as well as the gym. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!
I'd describe myself as an intermediate beginner--I've been doing yoga off & on for a couple years, and 1-2 times a week for the past 4 months...but still can't get my legs straight in downward-facing dog b/c my hamstrings are so ridiculously tight.

Replies

• gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Hi MFPBrandy! I've been practicing for 10 years, mostly at home but I've done studio yoga off and on. I love my home practice and have a ton of yoga DVDs so I might be able to give you a suggestion. Do you have a specific yoga that you practice (power yoga, hatha, anusara, etc.)? What length practice are you looking for?

I have the same problem with tight thighs and hips. Some days, I can straighten my legs in downdog, others not so much.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Good question--I'm not really sure. :)
    I'm not familiar with anasura. Most the classes here seem mostly hatha, with a little vinyasa thrown in depending on the instructor. At my last studio (different state), it seemed more like bikram, but without the heat (warm, but not THAT hot). I love the idea of what i've read about power yoga, but I lack the control to flow from one movement to the next; I'm still very jerky-jerky. I do want the strength-building, though. So...I would like some calming, relaxing, stretching routines, and some strength-building routines (especially my shoulders right now!). 30-45 minutes is probably most realistic for me at home, since I'll most likely be doing them while the munchkin is napping, or after she goes to bed..but I'm not opposed to shorter or longer. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I would try a bunch of different (free) podcasts (yoga journal has one) as well as videos from the library - and see what you like. There is also a yoga group on MFP that is open to everyone:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

When I used to do videos, I really liked Rodney Yee - he has some beginner ones as well.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    A great beginner's power yoga is Bryan Kest's "20-minute Beginner's Workout." It's really closer to 25 minutes and it's a nice, well-paced vinyasa flow. I've had the DVD for almost 10 years and it's still in fairly high rotation. It's just a nice, gentle, shake it out and loosen it up, vinyasa practice.

Another moderately paced vinyasa practice that I just love (it has half moon in it) is Yoga Live's "Energy Flow for Weight Loss" which may be hard to find but if you ever see it at a discount store, snatch it up. It's closer to 35 minutes long and Jeffrey Cohen's practices are always fun and energizing. His "Core Strength for Abs" is available used on Amazon and that's another good one (it has crow in it); as is the Yoga Live with Elena Brower, "Total Body Toning & Flexibility" which I have (because I love the Yoga Live series) but I honestly can't remember what it's like. Just a note: the Yoga Live has a hip-hop-infused soundtrack so if you don't like hip-hop beats, you may not like the series.

Sara Ivanhoe is another great yoga instructor. Her "Joy of Yoga," "Candlelight Yoga," and her "Yoga Makeover" series are all keepers.

I second the Rodney Yee recommendation. I use his "AM Yoga for Your Week" regularly. It has five 20 to 25 minute practices (standing poses, twists, backbends, forward bends, and hip openers). My favorites are the forward bends (great stretch, very relaxing) and backbends practices. You really can't go wrong with Rodney Yee. He's one of the very best.

My yoga strength DVDs are the ones I pull out the least, but Eva Barash comes immediately to mind. I'm always happy with my decision when I finish one of her routines. "Strengthen and Lengthen" is pretty challenging; "Twist and Bend" is a *little* easier, at least for me (and it's available used on Amazon for cheap). Note: The sound quality on Eva's DVDs sometimes breaks up, if you are sensitive to this sort of thing, they may not be a good choice.

All of the above are true yoga DVDs. They are not intimidating but the instructors often, though not always, use the sanskrit pose names. They end with either relaxation pose or meditation. If you are more interested in fitness style yoga, you may want to check out Beth Shaw. IMO, she's the best fitness-style yoga instructor out there and she has many DVDs for sale.

Good luck! Send me a message if you would like more info.
  • ShawtyHotPink
    Options
    <3Weight Loss Yoga<3
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Theses are some good suggestions, and I'll check out the group, too.
  • pmaia
    pmaia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have never tried yoga. I might need this info, if I dare try it.