Anyone lost weight with no extreme diet or exercise?

Hi everyone,

I am seriously trying to lose 25 lbs. I have never attempted to diet and have not worked out since 2001. I work full time, have 2 girls 3 and under, and can't afford a gym membership until next Winter. Am I totally set for failure? I don't have the will power to do an extreme diet or start running a couple of miles every night before bed.
How did you do it? Am I able to eat 'normal' food and still make progress?

Thanks for your feedback :-)

Replies

• Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    You don't have to do an "extreme" diet, just eat less of what you're eating now. :3 Cut your portions smaller, and maybe add a few extra veggies here and there.
  • Yilsip
    Yilsip Posts: 50
    That sounds great. I never thought that alone would work but that will be my start point. I have a feeling once I start seeing results I will be inspired to become more healthy. Thanks for your response!
  • huntclan
    huntclan Posts: 26
    Diet is a bad word... We are supposed to be changing our eating habits. I started my "Diet" with plain ole exercise. Nothing happened. Although I exercise an hour 4 times a week, it isn't what I would call "extreme." Like, I don't run. I had to eat less. before something happened. You can probably just "eat less" and healthier and lose weight. You sound like an active person who doesn't need to run or kill yourself at the gym.

FWIW: The YMCA has flexible rates depending on your income.
  • eaddyphd
    eaddyphd Posts: 6
    I don't have time to explain at the present moment. and I promise to do so if you give me an opportunity. The first thing that has to happen is that you have to change your language. You CANNOT lose weight and keep it off. I am down 12 pounds in 5 weeks and am following my own advice in the book I wrote three years ago. (2 and 1/2 magic thoughts)...
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    When I started all this (Feb 2012), I just sort of poked around at weight loss--I didn't really think it'd turn into anything "real." I started just logging everything I ate and doing a 30-minute Jillian Michaels DVD 5- 6 days/week. I've since increased my calorie deficit and doubled my workout time, but that's just b/c I got impatient and wanted to speed up the process.
  • Yilsip
    Yilsip Posts: 50
    So far I have started to go down the stairs at work, 15 flights down and up. I do this mid morning, the first day I ft like I had to vomit, took about 20 min before my heart rate adjusted and my stomach settled. My goal is to do this twice a day for a month or so, then jog 3-4 times per week before bed. I chase after my two girls daily, but I sit at work for almost 9 hours per day.
  • savvy793
    savvy793 Posts: 1
    When I first started changing my diet, I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks (and kept it off for 3 months) without any exercise. My eating habits were just THAT bad before. Now that I've been maintaining a healthy diet, I have to REALLY exercise to lose weight.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    I have a 7 year old and a desk job. I eat normal food and even fast food from time to time. I do not work out. Ive lost almost 30lbs since March. You can totally do it with just a calorie deficit.