exertion migraines

Options
I see a neurologist for migraines. I'm on a nightly med and have abortives and I had to go on birth control.

I recently switched my lifting program from using the machines to doing kind of a modified new rules of lifting for women.

On days I do squats with the barbell, I always wind up with a migraine, which I'm reading is an exertion migraine. If I do squats with barbells, it doesn't happen. I'm aiming for heavy lifting and don't want to rely on barbells for my squat and bench press.

Obviously, you can't see my form and I"m new to squatting, but can poor form in squats cause this? All of my MRI's have come back clear and they have narrowed my migraines down to hormones and stress.

Is there any way to prevent those migraines? I don't see my neurologist again till September, but i'm not sure he's that up to date on weight lifting

Replies

• mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There are days that working out ends up in a migraine, especially if I'm already on the edge of getting one. One thing I've discovered is to be conscious of your are breathing. I have a terrible habit on some exercises of holding my breath and it definitely causes me issues. Also, listen to your body. Learn the difference between dizziness from heavy weights and a migraine starting; they can feel very similar, but the throbbing from heavy weights will go away if you rest between sets. Oh, and carry your abortives to the gym with you...I've needed them more than once.