Very tight hamstrings.

Options
I have ridiculously tight hamstrings... I used to play waterpolo in high school, and swim competitively, and ever since I stopped my hamstrings are SO tight. I could do splits... Now they just hurt. I tried yoga for a whole college semester without luck streching them out. I almost always stretch after workouts.... They are so bad that I cant lay on my back with my legs in the air and straighten them.

It was this bad after I stopped swimming, and was still very fit for a year or so...

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I did sports all through high school and college and still have tight hamstrings...and i have been out of competitive sports for some time now...i stretch after my workouts and i use this roller stick thingy to rub out my hams and quads....i am not sure what else to do....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    keep in mind your muscles all fit together so tight hamstrings might not just be because of hamstrings.
    stretch your hams and quads and hip flexors\

also make sure to strengthen your core.

make sure to strengthen your hamstrings. from what i remember back when i was an athlete we were always warned to pay attention to strengthening the hamstrings too since many female athletes have stronger quads than hamstrings. so when you do stuff like squats and lunges and steps up you HAVE to make sure you get to a position where your hip joint is lower than your knee to make sure you're engaging your hams and glutes.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    so when you do stuff like squats and lunges and steps up you HAVE to make sure you get to a position where your hip joint is lower than your knee to make sure you're engaging your hams and glutes.

I wil keep this in mind.