Simple strength training programme

Options
briznik
briznik Posts: 32 Member
Hi,

I'm relatively new to this - So far I've been watching my food intake, doing cardio 3x 30mins per week (usually 2x swim, 1xelliptical/cross-trainer at the gym), and a few crunches here and there as I tend to particularly carry weight around my stomach.

Having done a little reading, I've concluded that I would get better results (and be able to maintain rather than gain fat again), I need to add some strength training.

Anyone know a good first-timers programme I can follow to start me off while I gat the hang of what my body needs? The clearer the instructions, the better! Picture/videos? I always feel so clueless in the gym and don't know what I should be doing so end up going back to more cardio which I know is slowing my progress.

Or do you think I need to get a trainer to teach me a circuit / join a class for the best start?

Replies

• chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has some great DVD's that include calisthenics. I think that's a good place to start. I've done 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Starting strength or strong lifts 5x5 are about as simple as you can get.

Most commercial gym personal trainers will just give you the same crap routine they give to 60 year old ladies.

The starting strength book take you through everything step by step. A decent trainer who could take you though your first few sessions just to make sure you are squatting and dead lifting with good form might help you also.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I need to know this too!
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend 30 day shred too. You can get level one on youtube so you can see if you like it. It covers strength, cardio and ab work.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I say trainer.. Contrary to popular belief on this site, there are some very good trainers out there in the world.. you just need to find them.

A trainer can show your proper form for exercises, plus create a routine tailored just to you.
  • briznik
    Options
    Hmmm, I've looked at 30-day shred. I'm not really looking for a quick-fix, short-term intensive programme.

Would rather incorporate something more sustainable, 1-2 times per week, that I can fit round busy life and keep up long term.

Any other suggestions?
  • anneliesedykes
    Options
    I also recommend the 30 day shred. Its not a 'quick fix', its a hard workout that will give you results - who doesn't want that? And once you have completed it, I would recommend Bodyrock.TV as they have hundreds of high intensity interval training workouts. These build strength and burn fat. My friend is a PT and she said HIIT is the best way to get into and stay in shape.

1-2 times per week is not enough to work out really, 5 times a week is the best way. And HIIT is 20-30 minutes long so anyone can fit it in! The only thing with Jillian is that her cool down isn't great, so add 5-10 mins on for that. Bodyrock.TV have 12 min long workouts but you have to warm up and cool down too, so in reality they take 30 mins.

There is no such thing as a 'quick fix' when it comes to getting into shape!
  • briznik
    Options
    I say trainer.. Contrary to popular belief on this site, there are some very good trainers out there in the world.. you just need to find them.

A trainer can show your proper form for exercises, plus create a routine tailored just to you.

I think this is what I'll go with. There are tons of trainers in my area, I just need to find one that's going to give me something that's right for me.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've just started New Rules of Lifting for Women and it makes a lot of sense to me. I have a lot of experience in gyms and training in general and think this program is a great starting point. I am doing it as I am tyring to come back after illness and need some structure.

There is a lot of information on this site and the web.

Donna