food, diets and depression

Options
I have recently been told by my dr that my depression is back in force and they want me to go on to pills again (something i am refusing to do due to breastfeeding my baby) my drs ok with this but the nurse made me feel awful when she said it was a stupid decision and i quote "your baby will benefit from a happier mum more than benefit from your breast milk" something im not sure i agree with as im not always low, i keep my low for myself and my poor friends bare the brunt of it.

anyway i was wondering if there was any tips anyone could share as i tend to comfort eat which then adds to me feeling low and that adds to the overall problem. im proud of how far i have come already but know there is a loooong way to go so if anyone has any tips please can they share. im sick of feeling like a worthless pile of poo

Replies

• cd162
    cd162 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello Izzie

Can't comment from the point of view of breastfeeding i'm afraid - although I'd go for what the doctor says over what a (rude sounding) nurse says.

I know that the pills have helped me with depression, but then again sticking to healthy eating on here has too, as has walking for half an hour a day (even when I utterly didn't want to - it added up in the end). The eating and walking helped me through the worst of bereavement. I tend to comfort eat too, and I have to just not ever buy sweet stuff or biscuits at all - and ask people in my house to help me out with that - so it becomes a habit, and buy or make healthier stuff to snack on instead. Not easy at first, but i did get used to it and it helped.

How about trying that first? I would say though, if your depression gets worse then maybe it's worth going back on the pills. I have no kids so of course, easy for me to say, but I know my friend had pnd and it was really hard. In the end she did take the pills. But depends on circumstances doesn't it. Anyway you sound like your're fighting hard and have already done a great job (and beautiful children). Cx
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    Have you thought about some other things to do to comfort yourself other than eat? Make a list of all the alternatives you can think of, and start with that. If the comfort eating is making you feel even worse, you must stop it. It doesn't benefit you in any way--it only has costs. It is a hard choice to make, to stop eating for comfort, especially when that is what you are used to doing. Instead of promising yourself that you'll stop comfort eating completely, just try one alternative for one time when you would comfort eat. Do something different for just one session. See how it goes. Go for a walk, call a close friend--that is what friends are for. Read a trashy novel. Finally, don't be afraid of what you are feeling. Allow yourself to feel it. It may not be pleasant, but feeling those feelings you're trying to numb with comfort eating is important. The only way to learn you can cope with them is to feel them. And you can cope with them. Does what you're trying to numb really feel worse than what you feel after you comfort eat?

My mom is a breastfeeding coordinator at the hospital where she works. When I can reach her I'll ask about breastfeeding vs. depression in what is better for the baby. Given I've had my own bouts with depression, and the way I react to everybody, even those I care about, I wonder if the nurse might be right. You may not realize how your depression is affecting the way you interact with your baby or what she is picking up from how you feel. But ultimately, the decision is yours. The nurse shouldn't have tried to guilt you into it. She should have stated her concerns better than it sounds like she did. Whatever decision you come to, I hope it is one that you can come to freely, having weighed the pros and cons of each option, and feel at peace with your decision. Good luck.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My two younger sisters and I were all bottle/formula fed. The youngest (now 15) was allergic to regular formula, so she had soy. Not only are we healthy (with the exception of me being overweight), we don't have serious allergies, and intellectually we were at the high end of the spectrum in school. One sister even runs cross-country! I agree with your doctor. You need to focus on yourself for a little while and your kids will reap the ultimate benefit.
  • izzie_Preston
    Options
    im ok when im with the girls its just when i sit and im on my own. it sounds daft but they mask it all from me coz im so busy with them and anna (the baby) is thriving on breast milk. unfortunately she wont take expressed milk from a bottle at all so im at a bit of a loss anyway if i were to stop as i dont think shed ever take a bottle lol. (by the way i have to problems with formula i just 1)dont want to have to pay for it and 2)really love breast feeding im training to be a breastfeeding helper)
    the last time i was on tablets for it it made me really poorly and lethargic so i worry if i go on them will i then be like that? but then every situation is different im eating better now and have a more active lifestyle so perhaps that wll help:D
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    My daughter was just a few months old when I had to stop breastfeeding due to my milk drying up. If you have breastfed any at all, the baby already has the benefits. I have to agree having a happy mom is more important than having breastmilk. I grew up in a house with an unhappy mom. I truely believe that is some of my problems now. The Anit-depressants might help you lose weight too. Mine did, thinking about going back on them again just to help me lose. If you are less depressed, maybe you won't comfort eat as much (I do that too).
  • izzie_Preston
    Options
    im going to see my dr again on wednesday, im doing okay at the moment i think i just had a bad week. what hes more worried about is if i do stop will i be more upset than if i dont lol its a swings and roundabouts thing isnt it :(
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I suffer from slight bouts of depression, somehow after a week or so of being really being DOWN THERE! I find something to pick me up some good music, doing something nice for someone unexpectedly, watching a movie I know will make me laugh, hooking up with a friend or family member for coffee / lunch or just a chat to just get soem fresh perspective!

I know that these things sound small but they help me they really do! I beat it like this every time, and sure it comes back but I dont wanna use meds, and as I am a HUGE emotional eater I try and snack on something healthier or a smaller portionof the really good stuff, might not be the best advise but its honest.

Other things that help lift my spirits again are writing I let it all out on paper, I spend time near soem body of water with my Ipod and a goof cup of coffee. Doing something for those less fortunate. These are thing that for me personally help me refocus!

I hope there are things that you may find to help make this easier for you :) I am thinking of you! Sending you light, smiles and blessings!
  • izzie_Preston
    Options
    thank you all for your kind words:D
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have been on antidepressants and I got off them with the help of exercise. I also LOVED breast feeding and would've been very upset if I had to stop early.
    I know depression SUCKS, and the feelings of isolation and frustration are only augmented with the extra hormones post baby.

My suggestion is move, sweat and try to naturally get some extra serotonin from exercise. And have with your babies - they're beautiful!!!
  • Mandy_PSU
    Mandy_PSU Posts: 8
    Options
    I've had problems with bouts of depression too but I hate taking drugs. I'm actually trying acupuncture soon to see how that works. It sounds crazy, I know, but I did a lot of research on it and there are published meta-analyses in medical journals noting that it works for many people for depression. Just an idea as an alternative to the drugs. I haven't tried it yet, but we'll see how it goes.
    Also for the breast milk, I think the comment above is correct, that as long as you have breast fed for a bit, your daughter has gained those benefits (mainly immunity benefits I think). Good luck!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    contact la leche league for information about antidepressants and breastfeeding. Breastfeeding itself has a beneficial effect on preventing and helping to relieve depression a little. Also some antidepressants are safe while breastfeeding as they don't get into the milk. If you're being told that you have to stop breastfeeding to take the antidepressants that is not correct, and it won't do your depression any good if you feel you've been forced to give up breastfeeding when you didn't want to.

Personally breastfeeding is what kept me connected to my daughter when I had severe ptsd in the first year of her life, and I really would not have coped with sterilising loads of bottles and preparing formula. I never had the option of taking medication because a) I was stupid enough to wait for far too long to get any psychiatric treatment at all and b) due to where I live (poor mental health services) and having to get treatment via skype with a counsellor in the UK medication was never an option anyway. I had a lot of difficulties bonding with my baby and breastfeeding was keeping me connected to her through all that. So IMO healthcare workers need to take all the factors into account, including your feelings and preferences regarding breastfeeding and formula feeding, before advising you whether or not to give up breastfeeding. In addition, like I said some antidepressants don't get into the milk. The la leche league website has a whole section on this plus a list of safe antidepressants.
  • AbzRocks
    AbzRocks Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm shocked, nurses normally want you to kill yourself before giving up breast feeding. I am in the same situation and excersise really helps. I have been told a number of times excersise is the best anti depressant! I agree, it helps me a lot.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    here's the La Leche League web page on antidepressants and breastfeeding: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvaprmay98p25.html