Getting Too Used To Counting

AlannaPie
AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I feel like recently I have really learned how to manage my calories. I know how to make meals that are low calorie, and I satisfy myself without filling up. I feel very happy. I feel like I can finally achieve this goal. Over the summer I was pretty depressed and put all my weight back on. Now I feel like I have supportive people around me and I'm happy with myself.

BUT

Sometimes I'm actually finding it hard to eat 1250. I'm scrounging at the end of the day to make sure I don't go into starvation mode. For instance, today I was planning to eat as such. Two eggs with low cal bread and butter substitute, a homemade salad for lunch with a serving of dressing, and two spinach pies I made for dinner. That's less than 800 calories! So instead for lunch I went over to the indian store and got some samosas (250 each), and ate three spinach pies for dinner. Did I mention I'm also running and taking boxing classes everyday? Sometimes I'll drink a bottle of soda just so I can add the calories.

Replies

• paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    I have a hard time getting in all of my calories also. I use nuts to try and fill the gaps but it doesn't help that much.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    There's no point in adding empty calories like in a bottle of soda. The point of the 1200 calorie rule is so you can fit in all of your nutritional needs for the day.
  • Don't drink the soda....you're doing far more harm than good. And soda doesn't have a ton of calories either just sugar and artificial stuff that makes you crave bad things and gives you headaches, etc. If you're eating 3 meals a day with snacks in between, I don't see how you can't eat the 1250 calories...Don't eat "low-calorie" things. Just eat real food and add PROTEIN and good fats. :smile:
  • bunny_98
    bunny_98 Posts: 36 Member
    you could try to add some protein at lunch time. I also noticed that you hadnt had any fruits all day. how about your dairy. try a string cheese or a glass of milk with your dinner. :smile:
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Sorry to be snoopy, but I just glanced at your food diary and noticed you were not logging your breakfast on quite a few days. Are you not eating breakfast every day?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    how about adding fruit to your breakfast and nuts as a snack

If you're eating at least 1200 calories of nutrition dense food (no sugar, no soda,) then you're doing better than you think
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Nuts, or if you don't like Nuts, nut milk like almond milk are a good use of your extra calories. There are so many important things in them! Read "Superfoods" - you'll run to eat your nuts! Nut milk and soy milk might be easier for you because you can drink it.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Yea try adding more fruit and protein and your fat is high in sertain meals for one meal..Like the quarter pounder with cheese..I would lay off that if I were you ..but its okay good luck sweety:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Hmmmm....I NEVER seem to have this problem.

Add olive oil to your salads (or to what you are cooking)......even a handful of pine nuts or sunflower seeds in your salad is good. Snack on an apple inbetween meals....a large apple has over 100 cals. Pears can be higher in cals, too. Also if you like yogurt...the flavored ones usually have a higher calorie count. Parmesan cheese is another food high in cals......sprinkle it over cooked veges.
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    One thing I DON'T do is use low cal, low fat, or fat free. Our ancestors didn't need it, and neither do we.

"Real" food is better for you anyway! (at least in most cases....:laugh: )
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    I start teaching at 7 in the morning, so no I haven't been eating breakfast. Maybe a V8 on my break/. I'm trying to break that habit
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Yikes. There's no way I can hit all of my calories w/o breakfast, unless I eat junk all day. That's hard.

Can you throw together some breakfast burritoes and stick them in the freezer? Then you can just nuke it while you're getting ready and eat it on the way....
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Breakfast is the body's way of kick starting your metabolism for the day. Eating breakfast also helps reduce cravings throughout the day.

Here is a link to a breakfast cookie that you can make a batch of for the week.

http://saveonfoods.gsnrecipes.com/Recipes/RecipeFull.aspx?RecipeID=63164

Also as others have suggested adding fruit, protein and nuts, this will all help fill you up.

I also agree with the low calorie stuff, instead try eating whole grain breads and pastas, when reading the nutrients on the side panel look at the fat, sodium and sugar contents these are more the enemy than the calories.

Instead of soda try V8 juice or other juice instead.

About the calories, you mention boxing and stuff for activities but at 1250 calories you are not eating many of your exercise calories you need to try to consume some of the too.

Hope all these suggestions help. Good luck.

:wink:
This discussion has been closed.