Joggers Nipple - A painful NSV !

RedWeb
RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/joggersnipples.shtml

Ouch !

Even stung when I went for a bath after my run. I suppose I should be happy that I'm fit enough to get this ailment !!

Anyone else get this ? What is the best prevention ?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/joggersnipples.shtml

Ouch !

Even stung when I went for a bath after my run. I suppose I should be happy that I'm fit enough to get this ailment !!

Anyone else get this ? What is the best prevention ?

Ouch!

I've read that some marathon runners actually tape theirs. Not sure with what kind of tape.
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    I would suggest band aid or something like that to cover your nipples when you run. If you check the sports store they might have something that was made for this task as well. Here is some info from the Livestrong website:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/807-prevent-runners-nipple/

For women it's easier though: Wear a proper sports bra. ;)
  • HUNGRYHIPPO68
    HUNGRYHIPPO68 Posts: 22 Member
    try sudocream or vaseline maybe ???
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Band aides are really the only thing that will help the chaffing of the nipples when you run. You can get small round ones to cover the area.
  • RedWeb
    Band aides are really the only thing that will help the chaffing of the nipples when you run. You can get small round ones to cover the area.

Yep. Will probably do that. Thanks.
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Congrats (I guess...)

There's a product called BodyGlide that is made specifically for that and it works very well... it's a stick exactly like deodorant, and it will resist sweat. You can find it in sports or running stores. Vaseline works, but it will leave grease stains on your shirts.

Also, a sweaty cotton shirt is the worst... it might be time to invest on a good quality top made of synthetics to prevent that.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Band-aid are no good, they come off when you sweat, what I'd say you need is 3M micropore. sticks to the skin, and allows the sweat to pass through. (A real pain to take off, but worth it). Vaseline is ok, if you don't mind ruining your running vest. Miropore is great for preventing blisters as well.
  • RedWeb
    Also, a sweaty cotton shirt is the worst... it might be time to invest on a good quality top made of synthetics to prevent that.

Already only run in dri-fit tops. Today it was raining and perhaps the combination of rain and sweat made the chaffing worse.
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member

Already only run in dri-fit tops. Today it was raining and perhaps the combination of rain and sweat made the chaffing worse.

Perhaps! I'd say give BodyGlide a try, it's not expensive
  • RedWeb
    Perhaps! I'd say give BodyGlide a try, it's not expensive

Thanks for the info. Have bought some !
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Non perfumed solid not gel dedoerant helps to prevent chaffing on thighs and any place that can get chaffed. It may work for this I don't know. I've always used this on my kids who always get chaffed when wearing a bathing suit and swimming. It really does work wonders. I put it under my boobs in extreme heat because my bra rubs it raw when sweating. Always works :).