what are the non-obvious sources of protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I need to up my protein. I've been reaching for the obvious sources. What are the non-obvious ones?

Swallow?

(I couldn't help myself)

Good answer! haha
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Since you're vegetarian, I highly recommend Sun Warrior Warrior Blend Raw Protein powder. It's a little gritty, but it's pretty clean as far as calories go.
    I try to avoid soy, and not sure if you're on board with eggs or whey. Jay Robb makes pretty tasty versions of the latter.
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are good sources. Oatmeal has 5g, quinoa has a bit in it also. Chia seeds and flax seeds are also good sources.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I have the same diet as you. I'm a pescatarian that eats soy, dairy, eggs, seafood, etc. I like tempeh. Slice some off, crumble on a pan coated with Pam, and bake until golden brown. Yummy and high protein.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Roasted/Toasted Chick Peas is a good snack. It is probably not in the non-obvious category but it was better than me simply bumping because I need the topic too.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob has 5 grams/serving
    Kashi Go Lean cereal has 13 grams/serving
    Edemame has around 9-13 grams- depending on your serving size

and I second the greek yogurt (fage=best), chicken, fish, eggs!
    Also ricotta is a good choice...... I get the fat free kind and eat it along with fresh berries!
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    This is a good site that lists complete proteins. Recipes aren't wonderful, but there is some good info. http://www.theveggietable.com/articles/protein.html
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt, swiss/jarsleburg cheese, edamame beans

all yum and surprising amount of protein!

Be careful with sugar if having pre-made protein shakes :-)
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Loads of great suggestions; thank you all!!