tendonitis question...

Options
2»

Replies

• AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a chiro? I have found that a few sessions with one works wonders on the my tendons and joints. I was a nonbeliever at one time, but not anymore! Good luck
    I was going to schedule a massage for this week to see if that helped to loosen me up a bit. I've never been to a chiro though. Might consider it if things don't get better!
  • AABru
    Options
    Tendonitis in the ankle is more likely if one is over 40 and overweight. Over-pronation or under-pronation are a major factor for the pain while walking or running.

You have to get the right shoes at any cost! Go to a runner shoe store and have them evaluate your step. After you get a good pair of shoes, buy an orthotic insole. Over the counter is almost as good as custom and a lot cheaper. Try that first.
    LMAO...I am 38. And wouldn't be HERE if I were not overwieght!:wink: My goal weight is a mere 18 pounds away though, so it's not like when I was 240 and every joint hurt just from walking for a mile. I've never been to runner's store, but you are the 2nd person that has suggested new shoes. Thanks!
  • AABru
    Options
    I just want to take a minute to thank everyone for their responses. I've gotten some good reminders and helpful hints. I'm going to look for some new shoes and try to back off a little with the running. Walking for a while should help. Meanwhile I'll try one Alleve a day (Dr had me on 4...2 in am and 2 in pm) and ice after exercise. Thanks again folks!:drinker:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I find it weird that your doctor didn't advise you to rest it! I have psoriatic arthritis which inflames the joints and tendons, so I deal with tendinitis constantly. Braces help keep the tendon immobile which helps it heal. If you find anti-inflamatories upset your stomach you can try Voltaren gel. It is an anti-inflammatory gel (not one that just heats or cools the skin). It delivers the anti-inflammatory through your skin and is available over the counter here (I'm in Canada). Take it easy if your in pain, a tendon rupture is much more painful and will require surgery to repair !
  • AABru
    Options
    I find it weird that your doctor didn't advise you to rest it! I have psoriatic arthritis which inflames the joints and tendons, so I deal with tendinitis constantly. Braces help keep the tendon immobile which helps it heal. If you find anti-inflamatories upset your stomach you can try Voltaren gel. It is an anti-inflammatory gel (not one that just heats or cools the skin). It delivers the anti-inflammatory through your skin and is available over the counter here (I'm in Canada). Take it easy if your in pain, a tendon rupture is much more painful and will require surgery to repair !
    I've never heard of Voltaren gel...I'm in the US though, and often the medical industry keeps great meds under wraps. I''ll check online. thanks! BTW:My doctor recommended not resting because resting is how I gained 80 pounds in the first place...:embarassed:
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Voltaren gel...I'm in the US though, and often the medical industry keeps great meds under wraps. I''ll check online. thanks! BTW:My doctor recommended not resting because resting is how I gained 80 pounds in the first place...:embarassed:

In the US you need a prescription of the Voltaren I have a Voltaren GEL prescription, and I also have Solaraze Gel prescription which is also anti-inflammatory but has a higher concentration of the active drug. I got the Solaraze because of the recent [manufacturer] shortage of Voltaren. Solaraze is super expensive though so Voltaren is probably preferable.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    BTW I got 3 professional opinions (a sport medicine DO, a sports podiatrist who had been on the olympic medical staff in Atlanta, and a sports orthopedic MD from Harvard - and all highly recommended), about my achilles tendon (all in the sports medicine field) and all of them recommended that I could continue exercising - so I don't think it is unheard of.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have had tendonitis in both my elbows and am now dealing with ITBS in my leg. I exercise for bodybuilding and here is my story..
    I learned real fast from my right elbow that if you keep using it that it will get worse. Mine got so bad that I could not bend my arm straight and it was painful to try. I had to take almost 2 months off and take advil and I tried not to use it and it finally healed ok. When that happened in my left elbow it was just because I forgot to take a week break every 4-5 months and that's how I got it that time. I let that one heal right away and was back in action in only 2 weeks. This bit with my leg was simply the same thing.. over use from doing cardio. I did not think you could get any thing like I had in my elbows in my leg so I just thought the side of my leg was slightly sore so I kept going and then 3 weeks later it got worse just like my elbows and my outer leg was painful to bend every time. I am on week 3 of healing the Iliotibial band taking advil and using a foam roller and I should be good to go by week 4.
    Word to the wise take breaks and take the time to heal up. Also take more time to heal after your work outs if need be. Some people can do it fast and others it can take more time. Also I now use elbow braces maybe you might want to look into some types of other braces that suit your needs as they help me tremendously. Take care and I wish you well!:flowerforyou:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options

In the US you need a prescription of the Voltaren I have a Voltaren GEL prescription, and I also have Solaraze Gel prescription which is also anti-inflammatory but has a higher concentration of the active drug. I got the Solaraze because of the recent [manufacturer] shortage of Voltaren. Solaraze is super expensive though so Voltaren is probably preferable.

Here there are some prescription strengths of Voltaren gel, but also a milder one that can be purchased over the counter. Perhaps it's one of those things you have to ask the pharmacist for? Our drug laws are pretty tight, they just started allowing Aleve to be sold OTC. I always thought the US was a little more liberal with OTC drugs. Chances are if your doctor diagnosed the tendinitis, they would be willing to prescribe it if you can't get it OTC there.
  • AABru
    Options
    BTW I got 3 professional opinions (a sport medicine DO, a sports podiatrist who had been on the olympic medical staff in Atlanta, and a sports orthopedic MD from Harvard - and all highly recommended), about my achilles tendon (all in the sports medicine field) and all of them recommended that I could continue exercising - so I don't think it is unheard of.
    Thanks for the after thought. It's nice to have an affirmation!
  • AABru
    Options
    I have had tendonitis in both my elbows and am now dealing with ITBS in my leg. I exercise for bodybuilding and here is my story..
    I learned real fast from my right elbow that if you keep using it that it will get worse. Mine got so bad that I could not bend my arm straight and it was painful to try. I had to take almost 2 months off and take advil and I tried not to use it and it finally healed ok. When that happened in my left elbow it was just because I forgot to take a week break every 4-5 months and that's how I got it that time. I let that one heal right away and was back in action in only 2 weeks. This bit with my leg was simply the same thing.. over use from doing cardio. I did not think you could get any thing like I had in my elbows in my leg so I just thought the side of my leg was slightly sore so I kept going and then 3 weeks later it got worse just like my elbows and my outer leg was painful to bend every time. I am on week 3 of healing the Iliotibial band taking advil and using a foam roller and I should be good to go by week 4.
    Word to the wise take breaks and take the time to heal up. Also take more time to heal after your work outs if need be. Some people can do it fast and others it can take more time. Also I now use elbow braces maybe you might want to look into some types of other braces that suit your needs as they help me tremendously. Take care and I wish you well!:flowerforyou:
    Thanks for the well wishes. I wonder if I stopped exercising (or using those body parts) if I would really be resting...simply because we use our wrists and ankles so much.
  • AABru
    Options

Here there are some prescription strengths of Voltaren gel, but also a milder one that can be purchased over the counter. Perhaps it's one of those things you have to ask the pharmacist for? Our drug laws are pretty tight, they just started allowing Aleve to be sold OTC. I always thought the US was a little more liberal with OTC drugs. Chances are if your doctor diagnosed the tendinitis, they would be willing to prescribe it if you can't get it OTC there.

I always thought Canada was more liberal with OTC sales of meds! Or maybe Canadians are faster to recognize the damage that some meds can do to your system if misused (such as Alleve to kidneys). I am going to contact my DR about a script. thank you.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have "multiple tendonopathies" such that I had to change jobs it was so bad. Aleve and ice as well as rest are what Ive been prescribed to combat the pain. The advice I would give would be to do that then to find lower impact cardio such as bike or eliptical, use machines instead of hand weights for lifting, or buy wrist straps that help to take some of the weight off of your fingers. Helped me out. and make sure to do alot of stretching. also acupuncture and massage therapy seemed to help for me as well.

Good luck! Dont stop working out, but you may have to change things to make things less painful. ie instead of regular bicep curls, I do hammer curls. just changing the angle of the weights makes a huge difference for me!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.