How to add variety to get the results I want

I have been working out 5 days a week for the last 8 weeks, doing cardio on the treadmill (c25k) and the elliptical for 30 minutes... I get a good sweat and my hr is up. I also do some heavy arm weights- biceps/triceps/delts/pushups ( 10 -15lbs)and ab workout 2-3 days a week. I have modified my diet, eat plenty of fruits &Veggies- whole grains-lean meats- only snacking & allowing treats occasionally. I don't smoke. I am still hooked on diet pop... but only 1 a day. I am eating about 1,500 ( max) calories a day.... burning about 1,800 a day w/o days.. less on rest days. I also eat less on rest days

The problem- I have only lost 3 lbs in 8 weeks... while I look & feel better.. I am not seeing the results I am wanting to see. I wondered if you had any advice or ways to ramp up my routine using the equipment I have- treadmill/elliptical/nordic track skier/ a wide assortment of weights.I have plenty of motivation & effort to put forth.. but not the money to pay for any new dvd's or special diets.. etc.

How can I take things to the next level to really see the results I want to see?

Replies

• zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    why no squats/deadlifts?
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    I figured my lower body is getting a workout with the 5 days of cardio
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Have you measured yourself. Do the measurement portion on myfitnesspal and update if every month. You will see the inches decrease even if your weight only dropped a few pounds.

This is because lean muscle that you are building is 30% heavy than fat. but, of course it is dense so while you are burning off fat, you are replacing it with muscle. Don't be all about the weight in pounds. When I dropped like 8 pounds people were you lost a lot f weight, and I really haven't but I lost a whole size in-a half because my waist was 2.5 in smaller and my hips reduced 1.5 inches.
    Keep up the great work, and stay positive. I'm sure you are feeling all the changes within and noticing them outside as well, so that is all that really matter.
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Thanks Mary
  • mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Mary is right! Measuring is a better way to go! : )
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    I would suggest some weight training with compund movements. Most woman stick to the cardio, but just do some research on how to preform certain movements and you will feel alot more comfortable doing them. Go as heavy as possible and you will see great results!
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    I would suggest incorporating a different workout plan than just some bi/tri/delt/trap workout. Try something like SS (Starting Strength) or google All Pro's Beginner workout. They incorporate a good amount of compound exercises that will help you start to build a base of muscle. Please remember that when you start lifting weights you can experience "weight gain" because you can build muscle as a beginner while on a calorie deficit. As stated before, get a tailor's tape measure and take the measurements around your neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs, and biceps once every week or every 2 weeks. This will tell you much more than the scale will especially if you are lifting weights. And don't forget that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn resting as they feed all day. Some studies have shown that resistance training will actually increase your metabolism anywhere from 18-36 hours after your workout, so it's a very important portion of any weight loss routine.

Good job and keep up the hard work, it will all pay off in the end!

P.S. my weight loss seems to by cyclical, I will lose weight consistently for a few weeks, then lose nothing for a few, then lose for a few and so on so don't get discouraged, consistency in the weight room and with your cardio is the key.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I figured my lower body is getting a workout with the 5 days of cardio

you aren't currently doing any activity that even scratches the surface of the benefits that barbell squats and deadlifts will give you. If you start now, using a progressive program like Starting STrength or Stronglifts, you should be pushing 100+lbs on each in just a couple weeks.