When do you stop your heart rate monitor?

Options
2»

Replies

• andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I start my HRM right before my warm up and end it right after my cool down. I don't wait for my HR to get back to baseline - that burn is the cherry on top of my sundae.
  • T_Marie4
    T_Marie4 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts everyone - I will continue to stop mine after cool down/stretches are complete and be more consistent with this! As stated in my OP, I typically do this anyway, just needed to know I was correct in doing so. Thanks again!
  • T_Marie4
    T_Marie4 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I start my HRM right before my warm up and end it right after my cool down. I don't wait for my HR to get back to baseline - that burn is the cherry on top of my sundae.

Well said - I like the way you think!!! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I start mine as I leave the driveway at the start of a run and stop it as soon as I stop running (my heart rate recovers very quickly anyway) as I get back to my house (I don't count my cool down and stretching - I figure it helps offset some of the errors that are bound to occur in recording calories consumed)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I stop mine right when I stop running, mostly because it has a function that tells me how fast my heart recovers and improvement there would indicate improved heart health. Mine doesn't seem to be accurate at estimating calories, though, since it's usually way higher than the MFP database (by more than 1100 calories today). I still post it on my wall, though, because it may not be accurate for caloric burn, but it is accurate for how hard I was working.
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    i stop mine after my heart rate gets to a lower zone--- 100-90ish.. not at resting heart rate.. but def after im done doing my final stretch.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I stop as soon as I finish. Sometimes I start a new lap to look at my recovery time. Since I always upload the HRM data to my computer and look at the graphs its nice to see recovery every so often, but then I delete that extra lap from my history.
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Once my hr gets to 100. Depending on what I'm doing (spin, elliptical, etc) the time for it to get there varies. It's very quickly post spin (because of cool down in class) and takes a few minutes more after elliptical because I don't cool down and usually hop off when my hr is around 155. And I'm old and fat, so that's over 85% of max. ;)