Training Plans for Multisport Athletes

Options
Hi everyone,
My question is for anyone out there who has used or tried using Gale Bernhardt's triathlon training book (whose name is in the title).

I am looking over his strength training schedule and I was wondering if anyone found it particularly efficacious? I understand the methodology and yes, I agree with it but I find the lack of variety in the workouts to be limiting... For instance, what if I want to get a better rip on my chest? Can I work out more? What about modifying this schedule so that each day you add a few more work out for a specific muscle group?

I do understand that my focus... If I am trying to run triathlons, should be on endurance not size, I get that, and, no, I don't really want to get big... I want to get lean. BUT I do like weight lifting and I feel like this schedule might limit the ammt I can do.

Anyway, I'm rambling, basically, share yr experience, if you have any, with this training schedule. I appreciate it!

Replies

• JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    Bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual for triathlon plans to have fairly limited strength components, the focus is usually (from the ones I've seen) on tri specific activities with strength thrown in more for injury prevention than anything else.

What kind of distance are you training for? If you're thinking sprint or Olympic you could probably add without too many worries, I suspect as soon as Iron becomes part of the name it's a different story.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My question is for anyone out there who has used or tried using Gale Bernhardt's triathlon training book (whose name is in the title).

I am looking over his strength training schedule and I was wondering if anyone found it particularly efficacious? I understand the methodology and yes, I agree with it but I find the lack of variety in the workouts to be limiting... For instance, what if I want to get a better rip on my chest? Can I work out more? What about modifying this schedule so that each day you add a few more work out for a specific muscle group?

I do understand that my focus... If I am trying to run triathlons, should be on endurance not size, I get that, and, no, I don't really want to get big... I want to get lean. BUT I do like weight lifting and I feel like this schedule might limit the ammt I can do.

Anyway, I'm rambling, basically, share yr experience, if you have any, with this training schedule. I appreciate it!

This is my favorite for any type of athlete, http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-*kitten*-part3.html

The first part of the article is basically an off-season or in-season but several weeks between events. Towards the end of the article there's an in-season template to follow.