Replacing Fat with Muscle is annoying

Options
I really would like to trim down 25 ISH pounds. I started at the gym, and have struggled to get rid of this weight. I have been at the gym for a month and a half. I am dieting like crazy, have a Personal Trainer, and am getting my butt Kicked at the gym.

I am so frustrated because it seems that I should be shedding massive pounds. But, every one keeps reminding me that muscle weighs more than fat... but.. it does not motivate me really when I see the scale...

So, if you have any tips, suggestions, etc... I would appreciate it...

I NEED TO SEE SOME MOTIVATION DAANNGGIITTT!!!!!!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is a good idea, stop weighing yourself; measure your success with a tape measure instead, that is what really matters.
  • kelfeene
    kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that ! Great advice.

So.. where is the inch ""OMETER"" on my fitness pal?

:)
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    keep in mind, muscle and fat weigh the same. fat takes up more room than muscle.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Yup as heather said muscle and fat weigh the same but if you may be replacing fat the muscle therefore the scale will not move, this would make sense if you are strength training especially. Don't get discouraged! Another way to tell is how your clothes fit... good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

That is a awesome idea. There are lots of people who would rather measure by inches rather than lbs.
  • twilight1542
    Options

It's in the same place as weigh-in. It shows neck, waist, & hips, but you can add custom measurements too :)
  • kelfeene
    kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ok, I love the SMoke free thing.... CrystalT... and Congrats! I am on day... counting... 45 !!! No tobacco, all natural, cold turkey!

Heather and Ms. Karver, I have never heard that they weigh the same.... Hmmmmm, good to know!

I have lost a few pounds.. but it just seems I would have lost more! I want to be a Gladiator with no shirt for Halloween! Make my blubber go AWAY!
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    So funny that u posted this cuz i am frustarated too, i just started working out with a trainer last week and im busting my *kitten* weight lifting and cardio and eating clean but i feel like i am eating so much that i will never lose weight, i mean im not going over on my calories on here im eating what they told me to, i guess i just want to see the results each week and its frustarating not to see any kind of results immediatly, when i have dieted before and saw them instantly. I know its a long term thing but u need alot of patience to do things the right way...and im tryin to find mine lol. I guess i need to take my measurements but i was told only to measure once a month, that just seems like a long time to not know whether what ur doing is working or not. Hang in there girl and know that ur not alone!U can do this!
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Patience is a virtue:flowerforyou:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Ok, I love the SMoke free thing.... CrystalT... and Congrats! I am on day... counting... 45 !!! No tobacco, all natural, cold turkey!
    Congrats on 45 days!! I quit cold turkey, too. I know its hard. Here's the website for the ticker if you want one. http://www.smokefreequitmeter.com/
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I quit too, grats! Isn't it great??

Patience...I need some...scale might be broken?? Nah, it's just me. /sniffle
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

Heather and Ms. Karver, I have never heard that they weigh the same.... Hmmmmm, good to know!

well, think of it this way:

a pound is a pound.

a pound of lead weighs a pound.

a pound of feathers weighs a pound.

the feathers take up a lot more space.

same goes with muscle and fat.

dont worry, i thought the same way when i came to MFP, then i thought well DUH! of course they weigh the same! muscle is more dense and takes up a lot less room than fat.

:smokin:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Get your body fat tested, then go by that, it's not quite as fine of a measurement, but it's also not as volatile.