how often, squats/lunges/push ups?

Options
GiGiBeans
GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
Can they be done daily? They are on my strength training video workout ( do 2
X weekly) and on JM 30 day shred, which I want to start doing
2x a week. Should I wait a day between the two different tapes or can I do them back to back?

The strength training I do with as much as I can handle with resistance bands. JM is using only
2 lb weights.

Thx for any help you can give!

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I did RI30 and would recommend using the highest way you can handle while completing all the reps. Then giving those muscles one day break. But that's just me, and I'm no expert, so I'm looking forward to everyone else's answers.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I only squat three times a week, but I do heavy squats that require muscle recovery. I'm not too familiar with 30 Day Shred, though it seems pretty popular on this site. A good rule of thumb is at least 48 hours in-between for heavy lifting, while daily is fine for light resistance/cardio type exercise.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to rest in between those particular exercises. I don't and at 41, I feel like my body is responding well - getting stronger. That being said, you should ALWAYS listen to your own body and if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. I think the rest period is really for strength training with free weights and weight machines (when I lift for biceps or triceps or back or chest, I don't do that particular muscle again for 3 or 4 days). OR if you are just starting a certain exercise and you are sore, you should focus on stretching and resting while you repair - when I started full contact kickboxing - holding pads while someone else hits and kicks them - it made me cry for the next 2 days when I tried to lift my arms above my head! but now I am not sore EVER when I kickbox - your body adapts - thank God!)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're using 2lb weights and such I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's basically just doing cardio. If you were going heavy then I'd take a day off between similar exercises (squats M-W-F for example).
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    If you're using 2lb weights and such I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's basically just doing cardio. If you were going heavy then I'd take a day off between similar exercises (squats M-W-F for example).
    ^This.

I've recently been lifting heavy and a day off in-between helps recovery. Also, the soreness has gotten a lot better when I suck it up and press through the workout.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Thx for the responses. I go heavy with the bands and def need a day or two of recovery. So based on most of the advice I'll do the 30 Day Shred on a day previous to strength training, do strength then rest a day, rinse repeat.