Is shopping in bulk ok for a dieter?

Options
2»

Replies

• tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I knew several families growing up who, along with their more appropriate bulk shopping, bought ginormous boxes of snack foods - fruit roll ups, cheetos, even candy bars (or those kudos "granola" bars, ugh). Those kids ate crap all day long. If you're bulk shopping on healthy foods to save money... I see no problem. If my kids want to eat a pound of carrots in a sitting (and it's happened), I don't really care. But if you're buying those kinds of things... yes, it could be a problem. Good luck keeping a kid out of the giant box of sugary crap in your garage. It's impossible.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm single and live alone. Honestly, I buy what is okay for my wallet. The thing that motivates me from eating too much is knowing I don't have the money to keep replenishing my food supply. Ration, ration, ration. :D
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I shop in bulk. It's not a problem. Eating in bulk was the problem.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I knew several families growing up who, along with their more appropriate bulk shopping, bought ginormous boxes of snack foods - fruit roll ups, cheetos, even candy bars (or those kudos "granola" bars, ugh).

I see that all the time at our local Sams club... and its a bloody shame!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I only shop in DRY bulk. Big difference. It's cheaper and I can get more organic stuff.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I knew several families growing up who, along with their more appropriate bulk shopping, bought ginormous boxes of snack foods - fruit roll ups, cheetos, even candy bars (or those kudos "granola" bars, ugh).

I see that all the time at our local Sams club... and its a bloody shame!

Eh, don't be so sure it's the cornerstone of their diet. Though I'm sure it often is. I've got the Costco sized box of Cheetos and it's been here for months and months. A tiny bag gets tossed in a school lunch, along with the healthy stuff. No one binges on it or treats it like it's anything more good, bad or special than anything else, really. Sometimes the forbidden foods are just all the more appealing. Let it be what it is-- fried corn meal caked in orange salty powder. Not great, not terrible, not the makings of a great meal, not really all that much of a 'treat'. My daughter would much rather have a baked potato.
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    ImSoPerfectlyFlawed Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's eating in bulk that gets me in trouble.

:-)

^^^ This
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I shop in bulk all the time. However, I'm not typically buying the huge Costco pack of individual serving sizes of anything. When I buy in bulk, I'm either buying huge packages of things like rice, beans, etc, or I'm shopping the bulk bins at my local Sprouts. For me, a never-ending supply of good healthy food is not a bad thing - it keeps me from eating the not-so-healthy things that might also be lying around.

This!
  • MrAllia
    MrAllia Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    In Costco I buy chicken breasts as well as fish all individually wrapped, Deli lean turkey and 98% fat free ham are a must as well. I buy bulk, my freezer is always well stocked, to the point of explosion in fact. Fruit and Veggies in bulk are awesome as well, sometimes on hot days I freeze strawberries and pull out a bowl by pool side. Who needs ice-cream with goodies like that by your side? I love buying bulk it saves me time and money; it's not to supermarkets fault that people are fat, they are just trying to make money. It's the people who make poor choices that are the culprit. I wonder when people are going stop pointing the finger and own up to their own issues. Your fat because you live a certain lifestyle, change that and we are making some progress, period, the end. And don't give me that I have hypo thyroid boohoo stuff, I have it as well and it did not deter me one bit. :P
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter how healthy the food you buy is, or if its in bulk. What matters is that you follow the serving size. If a person is going to overeat, they are going to overeat regardless if the food item is bought wholesale or "regular."