Shin Splints anyone?

I started running around my block every day since Friday, 3 days ago, and today shin splints kicked in in both of my legs. It hurts very, very badly. I can't work off the pizza I ate and i'm gong to feel disgusting, but i really just want the pain to go away, badly. Does anyone have any suggestions besides icing? xoxo

Replies

• Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    One of the easiest shin splints fix that I can think of is to examine your shoes. The right running shoes can make all the difference between pain and no pain. Also, I wear compression leg sleeves (i also play basketball with them), it just, well for me, keeps the blood flowing better to reduce those. Try Asics or Mizuno running shoes, those are some of my favorite. I'm not an expert, just worked in a running store for a few years and those are the tips i picked up! good luck!
  • cathymg2
    cathymg2 Posts: 3
    Anti-inflammatories, like Advil/Motrin. Also, just take it easy. Shin splints are a sign you've most likely overdone it. Take a few days off, and do a shorter time and see if it helps. Good luck!
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    I'm not a running expert, but what I've found with my own running is when there's too much force on my heel I get shin splints. I need to adjust my stride so I'm not pounding on my heels. Try watching some videos on running form.

Proper running shoes are also key. Mine are getting old and I'm starting to feel a difference.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Definitely not an expert......but I have to stretch to keep from getting them and if I feel the pain....I will stop and stretch again.

Good Luck
  • there a Video on Youtube on how you can strap your shins if you have shin splints. I did it once i replaced my shores etc and it didnt work. Strapping really helped me out and easy to do yourself.

I'll try find the link
  • AlexVenning
    AlexVenning Posts: 1 Member
    My advise would be a combination of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, ice, calf stretches and massage the calf on the inside of the tibia. I agree with moverfieldll, your running shoes are a predisposing factor for this injury so it might be good to go to a place that can do a bio mechanical assessment and pick the trainers for you. I hope this helps.
  • Icing after a run helps me. Also I have been told not to run every day esp. if you have shin splints. Walk instead of run to get moving and don't increase your distance more than 10% every week. *Tip for home made ice pack: add some rubbing alcohol to water in a zip top bag and freeze. It keeps it mold-able! :)
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    I used to jog in high school every day almost and never had any problems. When I picked it up again last year, I was a lot heavier than I was in high school, and when I jogged the same, my shins hurt really bad afterwards. I chalked it up to "that's just what happens when you're overweight," put some frozen corn on it, and pushed through the jog the next day. But as it got worse, and talking to some friends, they said I was probably toe jogging; basically tip toeing while I jogged. I moved to jogging on my heels (heel to ball) jogging and that made my knees hurt every time I jogged. I watched this great video on proper running form, and since then have had no problems in my form.

This video really helped get me started: http://video.about.com/running/Proper-Running-Form.htm

As for right now, lots of ice and anti inflam drugs! Good luck hun!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Yes, big time which is why I need to vary my exercises or I'll get hurt.
    Doing the same old thing day after day is no good.
    Changes things up as often as you can.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Advil, heating pad, hot bath maybe. I know everyone says ice, but I've always found heat helps my pain.

I find the best cure is toe touches just after running, streches em out nicely
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Speaking as a runner who missed a whole running season due to shin splints two years ago, I ended up having to go to a massage therapist for deep tissue massage. Hurt like the ban-shee but it worked, now I see her once a month for maintenance.

My shin splints were so bad that I couldn't walk without pain let alone run and it was the result of overtraining. I was prepping for a couple of races that year and I didn't listen to my body when it said REST. Lesson learned..the hard way.
  • mommab23k
    mommab23k Posts: 35
    I got them pretty bad when I first started power walking. I don't stretch beforehand but I do a slow warm up pace for the first 5 minutes or so. However I faithfully stretch afterwards and after a few days they went away and haven't returned. Look up stretches for post running/walking workouts, they help!!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Biggest thing that helped me with shin splints it to get the right running shoes. I used to get them bad. I have flat feet. So, I had to do research on shoes that were appropriate. I still got them with the new running shoes, at first. After a few runs, I got used to the new shoes and it's been 2 years since I've dealt with shin splints.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    I would suggest visiting a high quality running store -- e.g. and I don't mean ****s or some other chain, but a smaller, local runner's 'store', where runners work, who are also trained to make cogent recommendations on the type of shoe that will be best for you. They can also sell you a hiqh quality inserts that will compensate for various foot types. Often times the inserts will provide better support than the standard insert each running shoe includes. Luckily all quality running shoes sold today provide removable inserts, hence it's easy to add one that will support your foot in a way to do away with the shin splints.

There's also another major movement in running, otherwise known as the Galloway method -- spawned by former US Olympian, Jeff Galloway, who recommends a combination of walking and running. By including walking and running with your distance running you can reduce injury, shorten recovery time, increase distance, pace, motivation, etc. I now do walk run and average a little over 8m/Mile pace -- which for my age group, qualifies for Boston. It's a little different at first but when you experience it's many benefits (e.g. the reduction/elimination of injury for starters), it's a practice worth learning and trying.
  • Taping ankles helps.
    Grab the roller pin, roll up n down your shins. It will hurt like hell, but its sooooo worth it.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Make sure you have proper running shoes-this is number 1. Go to a running store (in Co we have Boulder Running Company and Runner Roost) and have them watch you run. They will put you in several different shoes to find the best ones for you. I take Advil (not Tylenol-Advil is for muscles/skeletal system) and ice them after you run. It is one of those things that you have to work threw.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Use pieces of adhesive tape and go around the back of the calf and make crisscrosses down you shins that look like when you just link your fingers of both hands together or get and ace bandage and have the v's in front of the shins as you go around. It should be snug but not so tight it cuts off your circulation.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    I work as a coach for the Running Room here in Winnipeg. Shin splints are a common affliction. Don't worry, you aren't alone. Here is some advice...

1. How are your shoes? Anything over 500 miles... Replace them. The support breaks down and won't be doing your feet or ankles any favors. Make sure you get properly fitted by someone who is trained in gait analysis. Putting a neutral shoe on someone who needs a motion control shoe is like putting racing tires on a monster truck... Avoid the cheap ***mart type shoes as well. Your feet will thank you.

2. Running is about adaptation. Take your time to build your mileage. Remember most of us will be incapable of running like Simon Whitfield, or Usain Bolt... And that's ok! Recommendation is to never increase your mileage by more than 10% per week.

3. Look at your running surface... And change it up. Here in North America roads are crowned. This is a slight slope in the road to help drainage. If you always run the same way, you create a muscle imbalance. Don't be afraid to change your course or direction for balance. Softer running surfaces help as well. Crushed limestone is much more forgiving than concrete.

4. Warm up before you run. Spend 5-10 minutes just getting the blood pumping.

5. Stretch after your run, and a couple of gentle stretches thru out the day will help as well.

6. Ice massage after your stretching for 10-15 minutes. Also really dig your thumbs into the sore spots and massage them out.

7. Avoid the use of anti inflammatories (especially before running). They tend to mask the symptoms, don't work on the long term, and can actually lead yourself into a more serious injury.

8. Listen to you body... If it hurts it means something is wrong. Don't try to run thru an injury.

9. Work on improving your form. Pain indicates a mechanical flaw in your gait. Fix the flaw, fix the pain.

Good Luck! Hope these help!
  • I too suffered from shin splits when I started running. First thing, examine your shoes. That always is my sign that I need new shoes. Also, my running coach has told me not to run everyday. When I started, I downloaded the couch to 5k app for my iphone and quickly fell in love with it. It has you scheduled to run every other day or every two days. I am training for my first half marathon and am running 3-4 days out of the week. It is perfect. Another, suggestion would be to make sure that you stretch prior to and after your run. The best stretch that helps me is get into a wide lunge, facing to your left lift your foot and sit back into your lunge. You should feel the stretch in your calf muscle. You are stretching more than your calf muscle during this stretch. Hope this helps and good luck with your running!
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    One other thing is to "slow down". Going from non running to runninng consecutive days is a major shock to the shins. Work your way into running consecutive days by switching it up... I actually walk on off days and or swim laps. In the pool you can "run" in the water, thereby simulating the running motion, but with zero stress on your joints or shins. Over time, you'll build up stamina and stronger tissue, thereby making shin splints a thing of the past.

To get going with my suggestion of walk run, try the following for all of your running. Modify over time.

Walk 1 minute, run 4, repeat throughout entire run. You'll need some kind of watch/timer to help you keep track.

I did the walk 1 run 4 for almost 4 years without injury. I now do run 10/walk 1 without injury.