Fitbit Location Accuracy

Options
I realize there are a ton of fibit threads already, but I checked and didn't come across one that addressed this issue...will try to be as brief as possible:

Yesterday I ran 3.5 mi on the treadmill, averaging 6.3 mph (about a 9:30/mi). For the first 2 miles of the run I had my fitbit clipped to my t-shirt collar, and then I switched it to my gym shorts pocket (clipped directly to the pocket, not just IN the pocket) for the remainder. I did this largely because I was sweating quite a bit and did not want to damage it, but I realized it might be interesting to see if things read out differently as well.

When I got home and synced, I noticed a MAJOR change in the number of steps recorded when I made the change - as in going from about 150 steps/min to approximately half that, or 70-80 per min. In addition, fitbit showed my running pace (speed) decreased substantially despite the fact that my calorie burn, after an initial drop of about 5 per min, went back to roughly the same level after 2-3 min on my pocket.

Overall, I found this very interesting as I typically clips the fitbit to my pants pocket, and now I am questioning the accuracy of that method. The pants I wear to workout are typically baggy basketball-type, so that may play into it, as might the fact that the movement of one leg is much more pronounced than the other if it is on one side of your body. It seems to me that clipping it to your collar (or a bra for a woman) would be the most accurate location, as it would incorporate all of your upper body movement as well. I generally don't leave it on my collar when I am driving, however, as I have found it records many more extra steps than when near the hip.

Has anyone ever noticed this sort of thing before? Am I right in thinking the collar is the best location for a workout? Very interested to get everyone's thoughts/experiences with this issue. Overall I'm not too worried about it, but I'd obviously like it to be as accurate as possible...I'm much more concerned about overestimation than underestimation anyway.

Thanks

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I've had one since early 2010 (but didn't wear it in 2011). I've found and heard that as long as it's clipped to your torso, you should be good. I think when it's in a low pocket flopping around, it seems to over-estimate your movement, which would be intuitive. But it sounds like you have the opposite effect? That's weird. I wear mine clipped to my bra or waistband and don't get much difference in readings, that I notice.

If I were you, I'd clip it to my shorts pocket and start the recording thingy and then count out 100 steps (in your head) and then stop and see what the Fitbit counted. And do the same for my collar.

The one time I got over-estimated burns was when I was doing a lot of rebounder jogging/jumping. Which makes sense. It didn't know I was on a springy surface and assumed I was really doing a lot more to move my body that much than I was.
  • ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Your last sentence is especially interesting since I was on the treadmill, and you can get a similar effect from that.

Very sensible idea to just do some experimentation with both places and see how it works out. I'll give it a shot!
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You might try posting the question in the FitBit group as well. It is "FitBit Users".