Running Tips

Options
13»

Replies

• alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    1. Good Pair of Running Shoes properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about. They are the third most important piece of equipment after your feet and brain.

This is an awesome quote -- I am going to have to borrow it :-)

Seriously, though, don't get hung up on a shoe brand/style before you go to a running store. When I first got fitted for running shoes (when I was 14), I was dead set on getting Nikes. I thought they were cool and I liked their advertising (the mind of a 14-year-old :-) Turned out, the salesperson at the running store told me that the Nikes I wanted were all wrong for me and I was better off with Saucony shoes. Saucony? I never heard of them. I tried them on, liked them, but still went with the Nikes.

Long story short, I ended up with bad shin splints from the Nikes and ended up eventually buying the Saucony shoes (and had no problems). Expensive mistake.

So, when you go to the running store to get fitted, go with an open mind -- you'll be glad you did!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Add on to my post ->

9. Shoes only last so long. If you were hammered into the ground a couple of thousand times per mile, How much support would you have left to offer? The answer is likely not much. Shoes only last so long. The recommended lifespan of a quality running shoe is between 300-500 miles, after this you will start to see the support break down and you may start to experience some common running injuries like Shin splints, ITBFS, Runner's Knee, etc. Keep in mind that even though your shoe looks reasonably good, it is the sole of the shoe that takes the beating.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    1. C25K (obviously!)
    2. Keep trying
    3. If you try running and you hate it, there will be other exercise out there
    4. If you try runnning and love it, be sure to get proper shoes fitted at a running store (and I've run in mine first time and loved every pair)
    5. Just do it. If you have to stop and walk doing C25K, it doesn't matter
    6. Watch out. Running is addictive
    7. Don't get hung up on having to complete every section of C25K fully. Close might be close enough
    8. Enjoy it! Running is ace!
  • pettrypartyof4
    Options
    Jeff Galloway Training worked the best for me!!! Never a runner...but had a cause to start running and raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation through a 1/2 marathon...In the middle of the training, found out I was pregnant...With the help of Jeff Galloway's program, I finished my first Half Marathon, 5 months pregnant, just over 2 hours! (that might be slow to a lot, but for me it was total AWESOME) =) Now, I'm a running addict!!! It's the best feeling in the world to go out for an hour long run, and forget about my stress!! Good Luck to you! You can do it!!!
  • rachgolds
    rachgolds Posts: 75
    Options
    Start slow and don't get discouraged...you will gain endurance with time!