Too fat for 30 day shred???

Options
2»

Replies

• 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    if u cant finish the entire workout...do session 1 completely, then rest for about 3 minutes then go to session 2, rest, then session 3. its all about moving forward and making progress. dont try to jump onto something completely to where its discouraged u. it takes more than 1 day to build a house.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I was about the same size as you when I started it. It was HARD. It was EMBARASSING. But I did my BEST to keep up. And believe it or not, I was doing really well by the end of the 30 days. The body adapts quickly. Do your best each time and you will improve, even if you feel like your best is the worst - because the worst would be to not do it at all.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i was 5'6 and 205 when i started ripped in 30 so you can DEFINITELY handle it, if you need to use modified moves, do it, just as long as youre trying your hardest. you're going to be a little out of breath but as long as you arent passing out i'd say thats kind of the point- to get a good workout. keep at it and you will feel like SUCH a badass when you finally finish it, or even if you are able to do a whole workout without modifying something or breaking your stance/pose. you got this, girl.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm heavier than you and when I started it maaaaan it was so hard the first few days! My body hurt and I felt sick, and every second of it was a struggle!
    But after the 10 days of level one I was flying through it and am now on day 2 of level 2, feeling like I'm dying again lol!
    I kinda look at it like, if it was easy then we wouldn't be getting any benefit from it!
    That said though, Jillian isn't gonna pop out of your tv screen and kick your *kitten* if you need to pause the dvd and take a breather, or do it more slowly or with less reps or even without the weights - so what if it takes you 20 days to get through the first level? You're doing it!

I'm not convinced she won't pop out of the tv. Have you done Ripped? The bit where she says "don't release the tricep, it makes me ANGRY" nearly makes me pee myself every time.
  • saamantha
    saamantha Posts: 74
    Options
    You can totally kill this! I started five days ago, and I thought the same thing. "I'm too out of shape. I'm too fat. I hurt too much."
    It works because it challenges you. I'm 4'11 and 185lbs. I've already lost .5" on my hips and .5" around my belly (IN SIX DAYS).

Take a break if you have to, the first couple of days are rouuuugh, but I woke up with more energy than I've had in years on the 3rd day and did Level 1 and Level 2, with only mild soreness. Yoga before I go to bed really helps. And drink more than the 8 cups of water required for your day!

You've got this!
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I did JM workouts at over 260 pounds and the 30 Day Shred was one of them. I was doing some of the advanced moves by the end. When I did it I had been working out on and off for yours and had done the Shred before. Stay with it and modify and you will get better at it.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else here has said. Just take little breaks when you have to. Do your honest best and you will see that you can do a little more each time until you are doing the whole thing start to finish without any breaks. Jillian will kick your butt but she gets results. We didn't get out of shape in a day, and we aren't going to get back into shape in one day either. Steady effort over time gets results.
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I was 205lbs when I started 6 days ago and on my first day I had to do it in three sections because I was so convinced I was about to drop dead. I was proud when I finished though, and I managed to fight through it from day 2 onwards. Just push yourself hard and take breaks where you absolutely have to and you'll be fine (albeit a little achy in the morning).

It really is worth it though, I had my measurements taken today for the first time since I started and I've lost a total of 7.5 inches in 6 days :smile:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Noone is ever too fat to do any workout. You are already setting yourself up for failure.

Workouts are SUPPOSE to be hard. They are designed to PUSH you to your limits, and then some.

If you have to slow down, fine. If you have to modify, that's ok. Just DON'T STOP MOVING throughout the video.

Results are NOT made in the comfort zone!!!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Noone is ever too fat to do any workout. You are already setting yourself up for failure.

Workouts are SUPPOSE to be hard. They are designed to PUSH you to your limits, and then some.

If you have to slow down, fine. If you have to modify, that's ok. Just DON'T STOP MOVING throughout the video.

THIS!
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lillie - we are the same current weight (within a lb) same height and pretty much the same goal weight!!!! I order 30DS and can't wait to start it. I am a little fearful it will be too much for me but we'll push through and we'll get to our goals. It may not be in 30 days but it will happen!!!
  • XjuliaXannX
    XjuliaXannX Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i threw up the first couple of times i did the 30 day shred; i was soo out of shape. just take it one day at a time, and it will get better!
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i threw up the first couple of times i did the 30 day shred; i was soo out of shape. just take it one day at a time, and it will get better!

"your not pushing yourself hard enough if you dont regurgitate a some of your last meal into your mouth. do you taste it? thats what pain tastes like."
    -drill sgt myers

God i miss him. still have his loud, raspy, voice in my head when im doing PT.
  • kimkay81
    kimkay81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am currently 180 5'4" and just finished day 10 of level one moving on to level two tomorrow!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not overweight but totally couldn't make it through the first day of 30DS! By the end of 10 days, I felt much better. Just keep trying!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just started level 2 tonight. The only thing I could not master was regular push-ups in level 1. Level 2 actually went easier on me! Only 1 break on the first day. Stick with it though. Like my son so nicely pointed out to me...take a short break if you need it...it's not like Jillian is going to break through the wall like the Kool Aid man!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Yes!

I did day 2 of level 1 today. I can't do the jump rope right after the jumping jacks (I'm not a jumping machine for crying out loud!:tongue: ) so when I was having trouble doing the jump rope, I just did a jog in place until I could either get back into it or until they moved on to the next exercise. You can definitely do this! Don't make yourself miserable, but don't be afraid to push yourself a little bit either.

Good luck!
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I had a problem the first time I had to stop for water, I made it to day 5 and took 1 day off that became a week then started again and made it to day 3, so I want to start again and actually finish it. Just take it one step at a time it will come
  • MLibby84
    Options
    I have done the 30minute shred before and I could not do the full 30 minutes. I would work your way up to the time. Do a little more each day, or break it up during the day.. do half in the morning and do the other half at night(if you have the time) just a suggestion. Dont beat yourself up to much you are trying something new. I also understand having the same weight(I started at 188 and I am looking to do 145) I'm proud you are trying something new :)

Hang in there :)