Wheezy asthmatic

After most workouts I tend to need to sit down for about 20 minutes as I can't stop wheezing and have to catch my breath. My asthma's always been really bad but I've come to dread exercising over the years because I know that I'll need to use my inhaler afterwards. I decided to stop using my asthma as an excuse and just get on with it but I still can't seem to do much without it ending in an attack.

Any other asthmatics on here learn how to control this or even know of any exercises that help your lungs?

Replies

• cathymg2
    cathymg2 Posts: 3
    I was an asthmatic until I dropped most of the weight. I've lost maybe 50 pounds and it's all but gone. I know where my limits are, and I just toe the line. Scale back the workout and take it easy and keep the inhaler nearby. Good luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    i had a 4 month case of bronchitis last fall that was triggered by an asthma flare... When I started exercising in february, my RT told me to pre-medicate with albuterol AND keep an inhaler close at hand just in case I had an issue. So every day that I exercise, I literally walk up a flight of steps to the fitness area at my gym, use my inhaler, weigh myself, then do 35-65 minutes on the treadmill. Sometimes I'll feel a little tight at the beginning, but I am usually in BETTER shape at the end than I am at the beginning.

I am on singulair and advair every day, then I have albuterol inhalers to pre-medicate or as a rescue...then I have an albuterol neb in case I get SUPER bad. I have only used it once this year, and it had nothing to do with exercise.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    My son has athma and his doctor suggests using the inhaler BEFORE he exercises - check with your doctor if ok before trying though.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    They say it can't be cured but I don't suffer from asthma or allergies after really cleaning up my diet. Most importantly I gave up dairy because it was giving me migraines but since going dairy-free I haven't had any allergy or asthma symptoms, I can even run in cold weather which has never happened before in my life! I really think that if you treat your body right by eating real food (nothing processed), getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, and staying active; your body will stay well.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    I have pretty bad asthma but since taking my seretide on a daily basis, I never have attacks. I always have my ventolin nearby though.

Maybe you need to up your dose of seretide?
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    i use advair on days when i wake up feeling that an attack might be coming on. it seems to be fairly effective.