I Took a Wrong Turn and I Just Kept Going (With Pic)

Options
Coffeeholic8
Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
I Took a Wrong Turn and I Just Kept Going

I’m 52 years old and have been overweight for a long time but in the last couple of years it ballooned. My wife of nearly 30 years died as a result of breast cancer and I became very depressed. I only left the house to go to work and some days I didn’t even open the curtains. I even had my groceries delivered so I didn’t need to go out and I just moved very little and ate a lot. I kept saying I would start a diet and lose the weight on Monday, but there were a lot of Mondays and it didn't happen. However, Monday the 5th of March was the Monday things finally started to change.

At work on the night of Friday the 2nd of March this year I got into conversation with a work mate and that conversation and that workmate changed my life around. He had recently joined a gym and was looking for a training partner. I said I would join and train with him, and to be honest I think he was more than a little sceptical but we agreed I would meet him at the gym on Monday morning. On the Saturday I went and bought some training clothes and shoes and as agreed I met him at the gym on the Monday and joined up. He also pointed me in the direction of My Fitness Pal and I downloaded the app to my phone. I weighed myself that morning and the scales reported a starting weight of 332 lbs.

Since that day I have been eating healthy and Danny, my workmate, and I have been going to the gym 5 times a week. I have also done the C25K program and am now running 5k three times a week. We run, row, cycle and do weights along with a lot of core exercises and I’ve started doing regular Spin classes. I log everything in the MFP app and that keeps me on track.

Today, the 8th of July marked the end of the 18th week since I joined the gym and at my weekly weigh in this morning I hit a bit of a milestone when the scales showed my current weight as 257 lbs and 75 lbs lost over the 18 weeks. I haven’t felt this good for a long time and I love life and living it again.

Thanks to Danny I have now taken a right turn and I will keep on going. I have plans to enter a couple of 5k races, then a 10k and I have a half marathon pencilled in. If that goes well I may even attempt the full 26.2. I may be slightly mad as before I did the C25K I hadn’t done anything that could be called running for about 30 years but I am going to do it because I don’t want to reach a weight I’m happy with and then just go home, eat cake and put the weight back on.

This picture below shows the difference from the 5th of March to the 8th of July. I did a similar picture two weeks ago when the loss was at 65 lbs and the people at my gym saw it and asked if they could use it in publicity stuff to maybe encourage others to join and do the same. I said they were welcome to, if it does encourage someone that’ll be paying it forward and I’ll be very happy with that.

Progress.jpg

Replies

• AlliGM
    AlliGM Posts: 86
    Options
    Awesome change! Congrats on all your hard work and how much better you feel. Keep up the good work and many thanks for the inspiration today. :happy:
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful!! Congratulations on such a major transformation, and thanks for sharing your story.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    awesome job!congrats:)
  • Traceyrohrer
    Traceyrohrer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WOW, you are doing a awesome job. Keep up the hard work, I know you wife is looking down and thinking how proud she is of you.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is awesome and it is motivational! You've made awesome changes and you look SO MUCH better. Keep going..I say you can do whatever you want! Congrats!
    Angel
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well done!! Great progress! I'm sure you wife is looking down on you and proud of you x
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You look great - what an inspiration. Also, I am sorry to hear about your wife.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well done mate.

Insane how it happens isn't it.

I was not looking to lose weight. I was just looking for an app to mess about with one night when I couldnt sleep. 3 months later here we are.
  • FitqueenT
    FitqueenT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!! Congrats man. What an inspiration you are.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You should be incredibly proud....CONGRATULATIONS and continued success!!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    Congratulations.....you have done amazing!!!!!!
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Impressive work!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Good job! Your wife would be so proud of you. I am sure she would want you to live well. You have done a wonderful thing for yourself!
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress, I take my hat off to you!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Excellent work!
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    Whoa! Fantastic results man, keep it up!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Well done your doing fantastic. Keep up the great work :-)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry to hear of your wife. I know she wwould be so very proud of you!! Im so glad you shared your story and thank you for giving inspiration to those of us who need it!! YOU ARE AMAZING!! Keep up the great work! =)
  • alumpoflard
    alumpoflard Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow! Fantastic transformation! I bet your kids are so proud of you, you are inspirational!
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Amazing results so far, keep up the great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!