Not to eat in fast food places per their workers

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast doesn't melt in my experience.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    EW. I have never had these sorts of issues in any of the places I've worked. Though recently I've found that the hand washing frequency is more lax at my job in pizza...
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    ERMAGERD.

thumb.jpg

ALL KINDS OF WRONG. I dont eat any of that stuff tho, but still. SO. TOTALLY. WRONG.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from fast food, icky stuff for the most part. But .... chicken nuggets melting when left out? How do they get cooked then? :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from fast food, icky stuff for the most part. But .... chicken nuggets melting when left out? How do they get cooked then? :)
    Exactly.
    Especially when you consider the 14 year old McDonalds hamburger....

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/man-finds-mcdonalds-hamburger-in-his-pocket-after-14-years
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Gross. :sick:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Exactly.
    Especially when you consider the 14 year old McDonalds hamburger....

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/man-finds-mcdonalds-hamburger-in-his-pocket-after-14-years

Burgers you cook at home do the exact same thing.

Which isn't surprising, considering the hamburger is made of nothing but a ground beef patty (only additives are salt and pepper) and a bun.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but you're taking a risk every time you eat food that you didn't prepare, whether it's fast food, fine dining, or someone else's house for dinner. The only way to be sure to know exactly what happens to your food is to prepare it yourself, but even that isn't 100% since you don't know what the butcher did to your meat, or what kind of pesticides were sprayed on your veggies, etc.

I worked at a national non-fast-food chain restaurant for 5 years in college and I was an absolute psycho about food quality and safety. I watched everything and I never let food out of the kitchen that wasn't prepared to the highest standards. God only knows what happened when I wasn't working. Ugh. I actually thought about doing this as a career but I have no idea how to get into it.
  • firekymmie72
    firekymmie72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I worked at Wendys as a young Adult and that is how they make the Chili. All the old burgers get thrown in a bin and then made into chili when needed.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a Deli, and all of the meat / cheese that passed their sell by dates were sliced up and put on sandwiches! :angry: It was disgusting! Our manager would change the labels on things for later dates "Oh they're still good for a week after the exp date, its ok". Yeah, but if you change the label 5 times, then its actually a /month/ past expiration date.

We also had grilled chicken breast we sold, and if it didn't sell (7 days) then it was chopped up and put in salads for another 3 days.

Grrr.

I've had food poisoning twice! Both times, from a deli.:sick:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    mmmmm. I think I'll do some fast food for lunch!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My husband worked for Papa John's Pizza for a while and was very impressed by the cleanliness of the store and the care they took in making the food right. He said that the freezer was very clean and that the manager was a bit of a Nazi about making sure things were perfect. If workers weren't working they were expected to be cleaning the place up.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I saw this today and thought I'd share:

a McDonald's employee hosted an AMA (ask me anything) session on Reddit. Well that got the Reddit community thinking and so a user posted the question:

"Fast food workers of Reddit, what is the one menu option at your employment that you would recommend people never eat? (Because of cooking safety, cleanliness, unhealthy, etc)."

So want to eat as cleanly and healthily as possibly at fast food joints? Well here are some foods to stay away from and what some fast food workers had to say about them.

Chicken Nuggets - "When I worked at McDonald's, I accidentally left a whole bag of about 100 chicken nuggets out on a counter for way too long. They melted. Into a pool of liquid. I never understood why. But they were completely indiscernible as being the nuggets i once knew."

Wendy's Chili - "The meat comes from hamburger patties that sat on the grill too long to serve to customers. They take them and put them in a bin and then throw them in the fridge. When the chili is made they take it out, boil it, chop it up and dump them in the chili."

Vegetarian Items - "I used to work at a restaurant where we deep-fried the Gardenburger patties in the same oil we deep-fried the bacon."

Grilled Chicken - "At the beginning of the day we are told to get them out of the freezer and put them into hot water where they remain ALL DAY. then at the end of the day you have to take them out and SQUEEZE the gross *kitten* chicken water out of them which by now has made the meat soggy. Then we put them in a plastic container where they await the same treatment the next day."

When i was a late teen, I actually worked at Wendys for about a year. I never recall us ever chopping up old burger patties that sat on the grill too long for Chili, not once. Now perhaps times have changed since that was quite some time ago but we never, ever did that nor were we told to. but even then, i dont see the harm in it. I mean the meat is still kept at a correct temperature. who DOESNT use left over meat for soups, goulashes and such???

i will state that God bless the fact that i lived 2 miles from that job and had to walk there and back every day, bad weather or not. Otherwise i would have gained since I ate a Jr cheeseburger and fries every day during my shift (i was really broke, 50% off meals back then was a dream. I ate for $1.)
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was a manager at McD's for a couple of years. The chicken nuggets don't melt, the grilled chicken is frozen until ready to be cooked, we never served food that had been on the floor. The store I worked out was neat, clean, and we really took care to make sure everything was safe for the customers.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The nugget one and grilled chicken one are definitely not true. I worked at a McD's for 3 years and trust me, I have seen raw nuggets left out and they do NOT melt. The battered stuff on the outside goes mushy, and that is about it.

The grilled chicken is kept frozen until it is put on the grill. It takes I think it was 7 minutes to cook, being turned halfway through.

This was in Canada.

Sherrybaby, you are describing American McDonald's food too. Nuggets don't melt, and the chicken is kept frozen like it is in Canada.

No offense but do you think that potlucks are any better for you? Nobody thinks "ew, I'm full of germs, better not lick the spoon and then re-use it." I am a stickler to cleanliness practices in my own kitchen BECAUSE of working in fast food.
    I figured it would be the same way, but I just out it out there because I know some chains are different from country to country, even within the same chain. Thank you for clarifying that :)
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I used to work at KFC, and I remember having to strip off all the chicken off the leftovers and saving it for the pot pies. So, gross old soggy chicken that's been in the warmer for hours and then manually stripped off by uncaring dirty teenagers that just want to go home and thrown into a bag into the deep freeze for up to 6 months.

Mmmmmmm.

I did this same thing as an employee at KFC when I was 15 years old - when I think of it now it is just so unsanitary and gross :-(
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Okay, as a teenager I worked at several different restaurants. None were technically fast food, but did have items on their menu that would be considered fast food. I assure you all of the restaurants had a very high cleanliness rating ... like A ... 100. However, I promise you that you would still be appalled at some of the things that went on in the kitchen. It is one of the reasons I like to eat in restaurants that you can see what is going on. It isn't just places like Waffle house that give you a view of the kitchen. Some of the finer restaurants allow you to be seated at the "Chef's Table" giving you a first hand view of the kitchen as they prepare your dinner and others. It is interesting and entertaining, and can let you know what is actually happening to your food.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I used to work at KFC, and I remember having to strip off all the chicken off the leftovers and saving it for the pot pies. So, gross old soggy chicken that's been in the warmer for hours and then manually stripped off by uncaring dirty teenagers that just want to go home and thrown into a bag into the deep freeze for up to 6 months.

Mmmmmmm.

I don't know what KFC you worked at but per corporate guidelines that is absolutely untrue, not to mention it violates OSHA.
    I used to manage a KFC so I know this for a fact. End of rant.

This was 99-2000 and it absolutely happened. Worst part of that job.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a disgusting person, but some of this seems like practical stuff that I might do myself. Like, why wouldn't you use meat that's been on the grill too long for chili or leftover chicken for pot pies? And I'm not above eating stuff that fell on the floor in my own house, either.

To avoid any and all grossness in the food you eat not only do you have to prepare it yourself, but you have to grow it yourself, too.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I would still eat any of those things without a second thought.