feeling lightheaded.. help please!

Options
OK so I've been feeling very lightheaded these past few days especially when standing up too quickly. I will see white and black spots, and have to hold on to something until my body adjusts.

I only set my profile to lose a half pound a week so I usually don't eat all my allotted calories but still feel really full, plus I've been trying to eat more since the lightheaded/dizzy spells.

Also more info...
height: 5'7"
weight: 128
blood pressure: 87/63
heart rate: 63 bpm

I'm thinking maybe my heart rate lowered and thats why, but if so what should I do about it?

If someone could maybe look through my diary and give any suggestions that would be awesome!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eat more salt. Low blood pressure.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Your blood pressure is kind of low. Stand up slowly and you should really talk to your doctor about it to make sure that there isn't anything else going on.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doc. In the meantime, my neurologist had me on a beta-blocker that dropped my already low blood pressure (migraines) and he told me if I ever start to feel dizzy that I need to chug some liquids ASAP and that will help. Never had to try it, but it can't hurt. But talk to your doc ASAP.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Your blood pressure is kind of low. Stand up slowly and you should really talk to your doctor about it to make sure that there isn't anything else going on.

Make sure you drink plenty. I get this when I am dehydrated. HTH.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    According to your height and weight you have a BMI of 20, which is on the low end of normal. How much weight are you planning to lose?
    Otherwise, sounds like low blood pressure.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Doctor, not internet.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I only skipped through 4 days of your diary..but really if you are having light headed spells then go see a doctor. With all the best wishes in the world you are asking a bunch of strangers on the internet for medical advice?

It is always better to be safe than sorry, by taking advice from people that are not medically qualified to check your blood pressure or any medical problems you may have?

I so look forward to you posting the docs advice :-0
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Is that a normal blood pressure for you? When I was in my 20's my normal blood pressure was 90/44 ... and that was normal and healthy for me. I wouldn't just assume it was your blood pressure unless it suddenly dropped.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Honestly, from your pic, ou look younger than your age states, which may be a compliment, but if it is true, coupled with the fact you are also fairly slim at those stats I think that you are not eating enough for growing young woman which could be leading to your drops...if you are feeling full, then add to or switch out some of your foods for healthy high calorie options like nuts, granola, seeds, avocados, oils, and even some full fat dairy. Up your protein too....I wasn't eating enough before I stared MFP, I thought was cause I was always full, but I ate fairly low cal foods, so it never added up to as much as I really needed, and I used to have blood sugar drops all the time, now they have completely stopped since upping my calories and my protein. I would also recommend a Dr's visit just to rule out anything else.
  • Sililily115
    Options
    Oh my so many quick responses!

Now in response...
    -Maybe I'll try getting more sodium, but I also put soy sauce on some things I eat so I feel bad about adding more lol
    -Im only trying to lose maybe 3 more pounds but I'm not too stressed about that.
    -And I actually was at the doctor earlier this week, but it was about a knee thing not the lightheadedness because it wasn't bothering me then. And they didn't really note anything significant when they checked my pressure... But I'll probably schedule a follow-up and mention it then.
    -I just thought I should check on here before i went crying to the doctor about something silly
    -And that picture was from like 2 years ago but maybe I'll try have some peanut butter or more meat or something at dinner today.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh my so many quick responses!

Now in response...
    -Maybe I'll try getting more sodium, but I also put soy sauce on some things I eat so I feel bad about adding more lol
    -Im only trying to lose maybe 3 more pounds but I'm not too stressed about that.
    -And I actually was at the doctor earlier this week, but it was about a knee thing not the lightheadedness because it wasn't bothering me then. And they didn't really note anything significant when they checked my pressure... But I'll probably schedule a follow-up and mention it then.
    -I just thought I should check on here before i went crying to the doctor about something silly
    -And that picture was from like 2 years ago but maybe I'll try have some peanut butter or more meat or something at dinner today.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Soy salt surprisingly doesn't have that much sodium... You should try adding salt to your food.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you are undereating most days and under on protien, somtimes substantially. That could be a factor.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    "Soy salt surprisingly doesn't have that much sodium... You should try adding salt to your food."

WOW! Why not just start smoking, drinking and eating fried foods also. Not really! Go see a naturopath so your drug dealing doctor won't poison you :)
  • Sililily115
    Options
    I thought like 50-80 in protein would be more than enough? In the past few days I don't think I've eaten below that. And maybe I'll try some foods that are naturally higher in sodium instead of just adding salt
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking 50 grams is not enough. What is your lean body mass? Should be .8 to 1 grams per lbs of lean bosy mass. 2 of the last 4 day were in the 50s.
  • Sililily115
    Options
    I don't know my lean body mass...how can I find out?

And I ate pretty much all my calories left today at dinner, and had sushi w/ soy sauce and 56 protein :tongue:
  • SACowles
    SACowles Posts: 1
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but your blood pressure is too low on top. You need more salt in your diet. I get light-headed when mine drops under 110. I went on a low salt diet cause of high blood pressure.and would be light-headed when mine was low. YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT IF YOU ARE 128 LB AT 5'7". I got down to 119 lbs at 5'7" and when I saw my picture I was sick at how unhealthy and boney I looked.. I look best at 135 to 145lb.
  • Mizzshy1
    Mizzshy1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Please call you doctor first thing tomorrow. Only a qualified physician cans tell you exactly what is causing this problem. At this point all anyone can do is guess. Contact your docotor.:)
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You're eating really well, much better than some other young ladies, good job. You get a good amount of sodium so having more probably won't help. Your blood pressure is too low, so you will need to see your doctor. Drink some what to increase your blood volume, with something salty. Has your doctor checked your vitamin D? You could be low on vitamin D. It will not hurt to take 1000 units of Vitamin D right now, but you probably don't have any around. I used to feel like this and it was my vitamin D too low. It does not matter how much time you spend in the sun for some people, they can still be low.

If you have low blood pressure at your age, you're going to need a doctor's help to fix it. It's fairly urgent, but you don't need to run to the ER. See your doctor tomorrow though, and avoid driving if you can.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    some water not some what