working out first thing in the morning

Options
I work out first thing in the morning. I don’t do it every day, but I am getting better at it. And my goal is to make it to the gym Monday thru Friday before I go to work. I’m wondering if my eating needs to change. I start between 415 and 430 and I’m usually done by 515, then off to work. I don’t eat anything until about 9am. I’m guessing if I have no food in my system, then I my workout is close to pointless. What should I do for food before and after, and when before and after my work outs? When and how often should I drink protein drinks?

Replies

• Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    protein shake and boiled eggs is usually my breakfast regardless of working out or not. But never hurts with protein!!!!! Maybe something with good carbs too
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Per Body For Life, I do my morning workout on an empty stomach, then eat a high protein breakfast immediately afterward.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about food timing, but if you feel hungry, eat, if not, do not. It really is a personal preference.

ETA: why would you think your workout is close to pointless without food in your system? Your body can draw from its reserves (unless doing long endurance cardio when you do need to fuel beforehand).
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    doing your workout on an empty stomach won't set you back much, but not eating something for hours after will. You need recovery food within 30 minutes after your workout or you won't recover as quickly or as efficiently as you would want to.

I'd suggest eating something small and light (a small yogurt cup or a glass of 100% fruit juice) before you start, then having a good post-workout meal after (be it a shake, full breakfast, or whatever).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    doing your workout on an empty stomach won't set you back much, but not eating something for hours after will. You need recovery food within 30 minutes after your workout or you won't recover as quickly or as efficiently as you would want to.

I'd suggest eating something small and light (a small yogurt cup or a glass of 100% fruit juice) before you start, then having a good post-workout meal after (be it a shake, full breakfast, or whatever).

Your body has a long absorbtion window for proteins so you do not need to eat immediately after a workout.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Your body has a long absorbtion window for proteins so you do not need to eat immediately after a workout.

Where did you get that information? Every single book on fitness, health, working out, or anything related disagrees with you.

Yes, you body will still absorb proteins and everything at any point in time, but to get the best results, you need to eat/drink it right after a workout.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but I would suggest having something light as soon as you get up (pre-workout) like a banana, half a bagel with peanut butter, etc. Some sort of carb & protein to give you enough energy for your exercise, but not enough to make you sick during. And if you can't eat again until 9am (Schedule? Convenience? Meetings?) I would suggest a post-workout protein shake or protein bar (low sugar), which would be easy to eat while commuting. Hope this helps! :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    it's really up to you, there is no magic formula. I use to eat before workouts, and it didn't work for me. Now, I just drink 16 oz. of water to stay well hydrated throughout my workout and then I have breakfast afterwards. that's what works for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Where did you get that information? Every single book on fitness, health, working out, or anything related disagrees with you.

Yes, you body will still absorb proteins and everything at any point in time, but to get the best results, you need to eat/drink it right after a workout.

How about you citing sources where you believe it is beneficial.

Not studies per se, but they explain the theory:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/247441-post-workout-shakes-weight-loss/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/pre-vs-post-workout-nutrition-qa.html

Although I should have clarified on my response - this is when you are not doing longer training sessions and the answer really depends when you last ate.