Re- Evaluating My Goal Weight

Options
I am two pounds away from 100 pounds lost and I am re-considering my goal weight. I am 5'7 and weigh 225. My goal weight is 190 but I am not sure what another 35-40 pounds would look like. I am hoping to get some input. I think now would be a good time to start toning and that could really make all the difference. My most recent pic is below.

318235_10151647638695616_511255615_12107450_870799614_n.jpg

Replies

• beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You look great! Just keep doing what you are doing and see where it takes you. At some point you will stop loosing with the amount of calories you are eating now, and then that may be where you should be.
  • CMmomx4
    CMmomx4 Posts: 25
    Options
    Do you think 190 is too low, or are you considering lower? 190 would still be over your "max weight" for height by a chart, but looking at your pic I have a hard time seeing you losing too much more then that. I think you look pretty darn good and you should be proud of all of your hard work! :)
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic! Congratulations on your success!

The important question is how you FEEL at this weight - is it "you"? Do you feel energetic? Do you think this is a weight you could happily maintain long-term? Are you happy with your appearance now? Perhaps most importantly, if you never try to lose the 35-40 more pounds, will you regret that?

Perhaps try maintenance at your present weight for a few months, and decide if you'd like to go further?
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    This is something you have to decide for yourself. You look great to us but how do YOU feel when you look in the mirror?
  • shelleylynnb
    Options
    You look SO GOOD! Not fat but curvy like a woman should look. If you feel healthy and are healthy (no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no high cholesterol) then that is more important than what you weigh. Even if you get to 190 that should be fine. Be sure to eat plenty of fruits and veggies and get exercise. My friend who is a nurse says that walking is one of the best exercises for a woman's body because it tones hips and thighs - the main problem area for many women.

My son is 34 and he's lost 58 pounds by becoming a vegetarian and juicing. You should see this video. It's a little over an hour but well worth checking out. Very inspirational. What you have accomplished so far is so very inspirational to me.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead
    Here is the link to the video.
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    I think you look fantastic! Go with what your body is telling you... 35-40 seems like a lot.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You do look really great right now, not like 225 at all!!! The only problem area I could see is the legs, and hips, thats where I carry my weight too, so I would guess thats where those pounds would come from as you don't have that much to lose on top.

I think you would look great anyway. My goal at the moment is 150 lbs, but once I get there (hopefully soon!!!) if I can continue losing I will try to go for it. I love how someone put it recently, she said she doesn't believe in after, this is a long life journey, we might as well enjoy the ride ;)

Great job on your weight loss, thats AMAZING!
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am two pounds away from 100 pounds lost and I am re-considering my goal weight. I am 5'7 and weigh 225. My goal weight is 190 but I am not sure what another 35-40 pounds would look like. I am hoping to get some input. I think now would be a good time to start toning and that could really make all the difference. My most recent pic is below.

318235_10151647638695616_511255615_12107450_870799614_n.jpg

You look super and I imagine you are feeling great having lost almost one hundred pounds. Personally, I think that 190 would a very healthy weight for you considering your height.

I am wondering if maybe the reason you are asking yourself the question is because the weight you are at now is less than you have weighed for a number of years and the idea of going under 200 is like heading into "The Undiscovered Country."

If so, don't worry about it. You can always put on a few pounds later on if you think you need to.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    You look amaze.

Love those curves ;)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You could try setting fitness goals.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Get to 190, and then decide if you need to lose more.
    As for now, stay the course.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the compliments.:blushing: I guess I am wondering is 190 going to be too much? I feel great and better than I have in a very long time! My BP is great, I was able to stop meds all together about 50 pounds ago. I dont want to look like one of those ladies who look sick because they have lost so much weight
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would say aim for something in or closer to the normal bmi for 5'7. At 190 you would be very close to being out of the overweight category and into the obese. I know once I got into my normal range I was still scared at being so close to going back up a category that I kept at it and lost another 15lbs. Now I feel "safer". In the end it is up to you though :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the 'start toning' thing, though I see that all the time on here. Shouldn't you have been working on building muscle all along, therefore as you lose weight you have muscle ????
  • lajuice24
    Options
    Honestly I have not been below 200 pounds in almost 20 years. It is really hard for me to imagine. I have always been curvy, but at my lowest that I can remember I was still about 150l
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check out mybodygallery.com to look at what other people your height and your weight goal look like.

of course it's hard comparing since people can have different body types, but it can help.

mu suggestion is to get to your now goal weight and then see what you want.
  • lajuice24
    Options
    I don't understand the 'start toning' thing, though I see that all the time on here. Shouldn't you have been working on building muscle all along, therefore as you lose weight you have muscle ????

I have areas that need some "work" after losing this much weight. My arms are not my favorite area. Neither is my tummy. I would like to focus on these areas.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right to you! If you feel healthy and attractive, that's all that matters. Don't worry about that other stuff.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am also "at" my goal weight (5'8" - started at 209, down to just the top of the "healthy" range for my height at 160-165 range vs. "overweight")

I have been doing a lot of reading up on maintenance -- ultimately deciding that I need to find the lifestyle I can maintain, based on the time I have for exercise and toning with strength training, and what calorie level I feel comfortable with by eating with my practiced healthy habits.

I figure if I am not pushing myself to constantly exericse, but doing what I feel comfortable at -- combined with the eating plan balanced by paying attention to a good scale of hunger (a la Bob Greene's The Best Life strategy) let's see where that leads me:

If I continue to lose fat & weight, so be it.
    If I settle in at this set-point, so be it.

I'd suggest taking a similar look at your lifestyle, time, comfort with what your eating, etc. Set a goal for the life you want and CAN live, vs. the number on the scale. What do you have the time and energy to do?

You look wonderful... you mentioned wanting to tone up. Muscle health is extremely important for women! I have found a great benefit to strength training -- for toning, balance, endurance and up-ticked metabolism. Many people saw wonderful size results, too, after introducing strength training to the weekly routine. Don't worry about getting bulky -- you'll get lean and tone by continuing to lose fat, and reatain lean muscles. Give it a try.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the compliments.:blushing: I guess I am wondering is 190 going to be too much? I feel great and better than I have in a very long time! My BP is great, I was able to stop meds all together about 50 pounds ago. I dont want to look like one of those ladies who look sick because they have lost so much weight
    You are doing great; don't jump ship now.
    Keep punching and get to 190.
    And then, re-evaluate.
    Good Luck