exercising or eating right?

Options
I have been wondering whether or not eating right or exercising has a bigger impact due to weight loss. Someone told me it was all about what you ate, ideas?

Replies

• emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Eh.. I don't really listen to anyone on this. I will say that they are exactly equal. You need good nutrition and you need to exercise.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You can't out-train a bad diet.
  • sarrylove
    sarrylove Posts: 88
    Options
    80% what you eat, how you eat and how much you eat and 20% exercise!
  • dreamstate89020
    dreamstate89020 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    But when you exercise and eat better, you loose more weight and your body tones out better from weight loss
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. However, I don't think you can out-diet a bad workout routine (or none). They are hand-in-hand. Doing both will give you more energy and better results!
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options

what does this mean? lol
  • beccaballerina
    Options
    Diet. Like emurano said - you can't out train a bad diet.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all diet.
  • Siobhan699
    Siobhan699 Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree that for the best results you should have a combination of eating well and exercising. Having said this, in all of the literature I've read a common theme seems to be emerging: a person who does not exercise but calorie counts/eats a healthy and balanced diet will lose more weight than a person who exercises daily but does not 'watch what they eat'.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

what does this mean? lol

It means you can't eat bad and work your butt off and get good results. It's all in the diet.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's been my own personal experience that it's BOTH. When I first lost my weight in 1987 I knew nothing about eating right. My mom told me I could "shrink" my stomach by eating less so I portion controlled but still ate the wrong foods. I was 15, there was no internet or even the info that we have available to us now. I was obese most of my life so I don't attribute any of my weight loss to metabolism b/c of my age then. But I exercised an hour a day, 5 to 6 days per week and was determined. Had I known about proper nutrition and all the slop in processed foods back then I probably wouldn't have had to deal with cottage cheese thighs from then till about a few years ago and if I knew about strength training I wouldn't have had to deal with all the extra skin on my legs. So I believe it's really a 2-part system and each part, nutrition and exercise, have an equally important role.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

what does this mean? lol

You can't exercise enough to undo the problems created by bad eating habits. I read somewhere that it takes one hour of walking at a 3 mph pace to burn ONE little bag of M&Ms. Now the math might be wrong, but the idea is right. It would be really hard to out-exercise a bag of M&Ms every day.
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself...I can work out every day and if my diet isn't right, I won't lose. On the flip side, I can get only day to day exercise but if my diet is on point, I will lose. That said, I stick to my yoga and swimming and keep my diet in check because that's when I feel the best and look the best
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I hear ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN... I think although you can lose weight without exercise, you need it to be healthy, fit and strong! Besides - how else are you gonna tone that *kitten* up and get a tight bod?
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options

what does this mean? lol

It's easier and faster to put calories/fat on than it is to burn them off. Use the calorie counter..........it will work. I'm just very bad at it:)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all diet.

Weight loss may be all diet but lifelong maintenance requires exercise, at least for me. I would have never maintained my weight loss for over 15 years if I didn't work out.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

what does this mean? lol

It means you can exercise all you want, but if you still eat garbage, no amount of exercise is going to make you healthy. You might weigh less, but less weight doesn't necessarily equate to health.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Well if I work my butt off at the gym for an hour I can usually burn about 500-800 calories. If I go to Wendy's and get a burger and fries its comes to about 1200 calories. In this instance it would be really easy to say that diet is far more important than exercise for losing weight. But I would say you can not really be "healthy" unless you make both a priority. What good is it too be a lower weight if a flight of stairs kicks your butt or carrying the groceries to the car cramps your arms. (I have experienced both these things).

Also losing weight without exercise can result in a loss of more than just body fat. Countless people get to their weight loss goal and then are disappointed at the results because they look pudgy or flabby in all the wrong places. Your body got rid of your muscle because it is expensive to upkeep and you were not using it anyways.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, a bad diet will undue good exercise habits...this I know, 'cause I sure do not mind exercising...but my poor eating habits were making me fat, anyway.
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

My trainer tells me what you put in your mouth as more effect than what you do with your body.