Run Faster

Options
Does anyone know a good app for getting faster? I just completed c25k and now want to work on my speed. Maybe I am insane, but I would love to get to or close to a six minute mile in the next year.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You don't need an app to run faster you just need to run more and incorporate speed work (intervals, hills, track repeats etc) into your schedule. (you can find some amazing resources on runnersworld.com)

Having said that, if you've just completed C25K I'm going to assume that you're fairly new to running and would suggest that, perhaps, focusing on building a really good endurance base should be your priority before worrying too much about speed.

I hope you make it to you 6 minute mile!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    You don't need an app to run faster you just need to run more and incorporate speed work (intervals, hills, track repeats etc) into your schedule. (you can find some amazing resources on runnersworld.com)

Having said that, if you've just completed C25K I'm going to assume that you're fairly new to running and would suggest that, perhaps, focusing on building a really good endurance base should be your priority before worrying too much about speed.

I hope you make it to you 6 minute mile!

^^^ what he said! I've also found that by running along with faster tempo music, I run faster
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Instead of an app you should read a training book and learn the basics of training. A good one is Daniel's Running Formula by Jask Daniels.

The best thing you can do for your speed right now is spend the next several months increasing your volume of easy running to build your aerobic capacity. After a few months you can add some speed sessions that will build upon that aerobic capacity. Doing speed now without building an aerobic base first will not get you very far. That doesn't mean you have to just plod along all the time. Run slow sometimes when you're tired and run a challenging pace when you feel good. Just make sure you are working aerobically. If you are totally gasping for air and your legs are burning that is too fast.

6 min mile in the next year is a good goal. I got under 6 last Nov after just running a whole lot of easy miles and almost no speedwork for 9 months.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    What is your current speed? Sub-6 may or may not be a good goal depending on how much of an increase in speed that would be for you.

In any case I agree with the above posters that adding to your aerobic base by increasing your mileage is your best bet. A good workout at this stage is the out-and-back. Run a given distance, timing yourself. Your pace should feel pleasantly challenging -- not gasping for breath, but not just shuffling along either. Then run back to your starting point, trying to make the return trip at least as fast as the trip out. If you can't do it, you went out too fast, so next time you'll know to pace it slower. If you can easily get back more than about 10% faster than you went out, you could go at it harder next time.
  • jessimom
    jessimom Posts: 29
    Options
    Ok, so it sounds like I just need to relax and just run my slow 35 mins for the next few weeks or go a little longer if I feel like it, then start slowly adding in speed. I use a treadmill, so I probably need to figure out how the training programs work and start using these at the slow speed too until I can tell that the workout isn't really draining me. I noticed that it was harder some weeks than others to complete the c25k, so I will try to just pay attention to that feeling. I just really liked the regimen that the program forced me on, so I was hoping that I could find something like that to keep me motivated.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    There are tons and tons of programs out there. By all means pick one if you like the structure of having a program.
    Have you done your 5K race yet? Would you like to do another 5K? A 10K?

Here's a "break 30 minutes in the 5K" plan:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-259-14299-0,00.html

Here's a plan for a first-time 10K:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-259-13711-0,00.html
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Speed training is hard and stressful on the body. Your bones, muscles, and tendons need time to strengthen and adding in speed training too soon can easily lead to injury that stops training altogether. Also, without some aerobic base you cannot do the workouts at the required intensity and volume to get a real benefit.

In the meantime, run a variety of paces to keep it interesting but not so fast that you are out of breath (gasping for air). This really will provide you the training stimulus needed at this point and is the fastest path to meet your goal.
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know a good app for getting faster? I just completed c25k and now want to work on my speed. Maybe I am insane, but I would love to get to or close to a six minute mile in the next year.

You should read up on periodization and incorporate that into your training program. Since you want to achieve this goal in the next year, you can start preparing now. This first phase is building a base, I would strength train as well to keep you muscles and joints strong, start your program with low weight, high reps (15-20).
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Speed training is hard and stressful on the body. Your bones, muscles, and tendons need time to strengthen and adding in speed training too soon can easily lead to injury that stops training altogether. Also, without some aerobic base you cannot do the workouts at the required intensity and volume to get a real benefit.

In the meantime, run a variety of paces to keep it interesting but not so fast that you are out of breath (gasping for air). This really will provide you the training stimulus needed at this point and is the fastest path to meet your goal.

^This is pretty much it. There are all kinds of speed work training, but focusing on speed without a base is asking for trouble.