Running a 5K next weekend . . . tips please!

Options
I've been running for about 9 months and I know I can do the distance without a problem, but I've never officially ran a 5K. I'm doing my first this weekend and I'm pretty excited. What tips do you have for me? Specifically what to eat and what workouts to do this week. I run at least 3 miles several times a week, but I'm wondering if the people, crowd, and competition are going to make it harder for me to concentrate etc.

Replies

• jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love running 5K's. First, what do you usually run the distance in/what's your pace? The reason I ask this: If you are pretty fast, don't put yourself in the back - you will be weaving in and out of people, which take a lot of energy. Also, I wear headphones because I am musically motivated. I have a playlist of my favorite upbeat songs, the fast beat helps me keep moving faster. Plus, it drowns out the other "noise" and I can concentrate on my race. Also, Monday or Tuesday run a 4 or 5 mile run, then start tapering by Wednesday to 1-2 miles.

As for food - eat clean. A little tip, there are foods such as spinach and beets that have an element in them called nitric oxide, which has been shown in studies to help athletes perform better. Theses are natural foods and I once did a triathalon where I ate a spinach salad the night before and eggs with spinach race day and I felt the best in this race.

Good luck!
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That point about keeping from the back sounds REALLY helpful--I know I get agitated just from being NEXT to someone I don't know on the treadmill, and we have steel between us!

Good luck! You can do it!
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    I just ran my first last month!! You'll have so much fun...I'm already looking for more to sign up for!
    What I can tell you is to eat something light...I had an apple and a little bit of Gatorade. The friend I ran with didn't eat anything because he was afraid he would feel sick...he was very hungry and tired out faster than I did! Your body needs something to run on, even if it's just an apple!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The most important tip - enjoy yourself!

And a few more specific ones:
    - don't eat anything different the day before or on race day. Now is not the time to see if beets and spinach agree with you or not.... wait and try that out before your next race.
    - don't wear anything new on race day. Once again, not the time to see if those new socks are really comfy or not.
    - plan the pace you want to run at and don't get sucked out too fast at the start. Unless of course you are really fast and are running to win it. In that case, go for it!
    - get to the race venue early - especially if there will be lots of people. You'll need time to queue for the loo, to pick up your number or drop of your gear.... whatever is happening, it's more relaxing if you have plenty of time.
  • C4r4W4de
    C4r4W4de Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I usually run first thing in the morning (early) on an empty stomach. Then I eat a high protein breakfast after my run. I want to go into the race having had breakfast since it will be later than I usually run. Should I stick to protein like usual, or eat some carbs instead? LOVE spinach! I'll make sure and incorporate that into my diet quiet a bit the few days before the race.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat what makes you feel good - but try it out this week on a practice run.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    *Arrive early enough to navigate the area, especially if it's a large event. Sometimes parking, walking to the course, packet pickup, and starting line location can take some time!
    *I generally try to find a starting spot in the middle. The very front are fasties and the very back are walkers.
    *Drink plenty of water the day before and the morning of. I enjoy a coconut water before a run. I generally have 2 hardboiled eggs and a Cliff bar for breakfast. I normally bring a banana for afterwards, although a lot of the 5ks I've done have provided bananas. (I ate terrible, greasy, but delicious pizza the night before a run a while ago and felt TERRIBLE during. NEVER AGAIN!)
    *I also feel that my iPod is a must. I've learned that music definitely keeps me motivated... and makes me deaf to the strange noises people make while running. :-)
    Good luck! Have fun!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hydrate-hydrate-hydrate all week!

I've done three so far and each time adrenaline was rocking before I even started-I would almost be willing to bet your pace you set at race time will be better than what you expect.

I second the no new stuff- its not the time.

Get there early and plan on staying late, there its typically so many cool people, vendors, etc give yourself time to take it all in and enjoy your hard work

Smile! Smile when you get near and cross the finish line, those pictures they take at the end will turn out so much better (lesson learned the hard way)!

Good luck and have fun!
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
    I eat oatmeal cooked in milk with apples and walnuts on race day. ANd I make sure to drink lots of water that week. You cannot get hydrated the night before the race if you are already dehydrated. A second the banana after the run. It seems to help treat/prevent cramps. I run 5ks at about a minute thirty faster than my normal jogging pace, so I need to help the body recover.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It is only 3.1 miles, so you already have enough glycogen calories available to your muscles to complete the race without needing extra, so I would tend to say, don't do anything new on race day is the best advice. If you feel you have to eat something because of the later start then eat at least 2 hours before the race. Mostly carbs that will digest easily. Protein will take its time to digest and "sit" with you. Given that you normally run on an empty stomach, you will want take it easy on your insides with whatever you eat.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If there are water stations made available, skip the first one. It will be crowded with people and that will slow you down. If you absolutely need water during it, stop at the second or third station to save on time.

Bring a friend with you to cheer you on! It is great having someone waiting for you at the finish line or somewhere in the middle to keep you motivated.

I love 5K's (I'm addicted to them). I'm excited you are running your first one. Enjoy it!
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Smile! Smile when you get near and cross the finish line, those pictures they take at the end will turn out so much better (lesson learned the hard way)!

TRUE! I second the SMILE at the finish line suggestion. I have had a couple of hellacious finish line photos! LOL!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You might want to make sure you don't start too quick, but for a 5k there's really not a ton you need to differently from what you're doing now.
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Try to make sure you start out at YOUR pace. My guess is that you are not going to be trying to win the thing, so don't let your adrenaline carry you out to too fast a start. I have made that mistake and it makes the rest of the race a little less fun. The suggestion about your music is a good one if you run with music because that will help you moderate your pacing. Again, have fun. Cheers!
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Let me start this long list with, my dad's family is all long distance cross-country runners and we do a 10k every year as a family and this is what they taught me. :)

Put your bib on the front and your time tag (if you have one) on your shoe, and do these before you leave the house to make sure you have enough safety pins/ have scissors, etc. (My husband has to remind me of this every time because I ALWAYS leave without scissors, which is why I mention it. :) )

I always make sure to pee before I start because I get so excited. So I try to get there about 45 minutes early so I can find the start and parking and the nearest porto-let. :) There are usually potties on course, but they usually have lines, so it will kill your time.

Getting back to your car will undoubtedly be difficult, so make sure to bring things you might need with you, like your ID (for beer or if you're my fam, the medical tent), credit card/cash (for goodies afterward, I love a good slurpee post/during race).

If you can, drive the course the day before. Pay attention to the ups and downs. Be ready to lengthen your stride on the downhill and shorten it on the uphill. Being familiar with your course will help you keep from getting injured. On the inside of the corners and the uphill, it WILL get packed with people, so you might decide to take the outside of the corners just to not get caught in the craziness. Yes, this will "add to your time" but it's seriously a few extra feet, and getting hurt in the craziness is NOT worth it. People will try to cut around you on corners and on hills, it's best just to avoid the crowd.

When there are water stations, use them. You might not want to suck down a whole cup, so throwing it on you to keep cool is also an option. Just always use it. They're set up at certain places for a reason.

Do your normal routine this week. Don't taper on your first race. If you change it up and run more than your used to, your muscles might need more time than you have to replenish. If you go too much under, you might be sore to run as much as you're going to. You'll want to be comfortable and you will have some adrenaline to make you go faster, so just do what you're comfortable with.

Eat light the night before. If you're going to carbo load, do it lunch the day before or dinner two nights before, but since it's only 3 miles and you're used to it, I wouldn't carbo load at all. DO eat a little something for breakfast. I personally love honey sticks for early morning. They're pretty much instant energy, they taste good, and they're only 15 cals, so you get energy, but don't feel weighed down or hungry. 1-2 are enough for a 3 mile race. Also, caffeine has been proven to increase performance, so if you usually have a coffee in the morning, DO IT! :)

Most importantly, HAVE FUN and stay safe and hydrated!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 9 months and I know I can do the distance without a problem, but I've never officially ran a 5K. I'm doing my first this weekend and I'm pretty excited. What tips do you have for me? Specifically what to eat and what workouts to do this week. I run at least 3 miles several times a week, but I'm wondering if the people, crowd, and competition are going to make it harder for me to concentrate etc.

I've been running about 6 months, dd c25k and ran my first 5k race on Memorial Day weekend - it was FUN! So different from just running alone. Being with the crowd was a rush, I loved running with all those other racers!

I was nervous but excited, and this post helped calm some of my nervousness as far what to expect and what to do or not do the week before a race: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=first+race

He covers everything from a 5k to a full marathon - lots of good stuff in there.

As far as what workouts/exercises to do this week - I've always found that I have my best runs when I've had at least 2-3 days since my last run, so I ran 2 or 3 miles on Tuesday, did some light workouts the rest of the week, taking it easy on the legs, so they'd be nice and fresh for Saturday. I'm running my 2nd 5k this Saturday too, so going with that same plan.

For my 1st race, the start wasn't until 8:00, so I was up early and had my usual pre-run breakfast of oatmeal with plenty of time between eating and race time. This next week is a much earlier start at 6:30am, so I will probably eat something lighter and enjoy the pancake breakfast they are serving after the race. :smile:

Good advice from all who posted already! As far as headphones, I like to run with music, but didn't in the race - I wanted to be able to hear everyone around me, that was part of the rush of race day. And I did my best to not get caught up with the mob at the start and burn myself out too quickly. I let a lot of people pass me, and stuck to my own pace. In the last half mile, I was passing people who had passed me earlier. :bigsmile:

Most of all - have fun! Let us know how it goes!