Protein shake or recovery drink suggestions?

Options
Are there any suggestions out there for a clean (free of: preservatives, dyes, etc.) recovery drink/ protein shake? I have been looking online. Have found that 1) recovery drink cost and arm and a leg :grumble: :sad: 2) Many have all these falouring, preservatives etc. I may end of sticking to what I have been doing, drinking skim milk before and after, hopefully that will work out!!

I am very concerned about bulking up, which I DO NOT want to do. I know I have heard woman cannot but I beg to differ. I build some bulky thigh muscles, trust me :wink: hahah! But it is my understanding that the more you weight lift, it increases testosterone in the body. I just want the protein/ recovery drink so that I can build LEAN muscle to burn more fat.. . .. whew, hopefully that came out in a coherent way!

Thanks for the input! :drinker:

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    isn't all muscle lean?
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Try a low fat chocolate milk. I read a study that showed chocolate milk after a workout was just about as effective as a protein shake for muscle recovery. Probably not going to work for a heavy body builder, but it might do the trick for you.
  • rebeccaweaver
    Options
    I use and sell herbalife products to lose weight on this you just replace two meals a day with our soy protein shakes. if you want to know more feel free to contact me.

hope this helps,
    Rebecca Weaver
  • ShannaP
    Options
    soy silk chocolate milk tastes really good and has omega 3s. I use it with a tablespoon of peanut butter, frozen berries (i like strawberry), and fat free vanilla yogurt, blended as a great smoothie. Read recipe in health magazine, it's about 300 calories
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    you wont bulk up. you would have to stick to a very strict diet and weight lifting routine to bulk up and it would take a minimum of 6 months to even start to see any bulk. You will however trim up and see definition.

dont worry women dont bulk like men unless your on roids and like I said....dedicated to a strict diet plan and major weights. Low reps with high weight as your routine is how you bulk.
  • horndave
    Options
    Beachbody has a really good recovery drink. Good orange flavor.
  • davegnufc
    Options
    dclarsh is correct scientific study's show chocolate milk is as effective as anything for a recovery drink and it's cheap, and muscle is only lean...hope this helps
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Premier Nutrition makes a great shake with 160 cals, 30 gr. protien, 1 gr. sugar, and 3 gr. fiber. I swear by it and it tastes fantastic. I get them at Costco for 24.50 for an 18 pack.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    if you are seeing you are too bulkey...then dont work that muscle group as much or as hard.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    If you go to your health food store, there is an Australian brand (I forget the name) that is all natural, no artificial sweeteners, etc - it is an isolate, and it is delish! Just ask them, and they should know which one I mean (Australian - isolate protein powder - all natural).

It is about $1 per serving, but women typically cannot handle a 24 gram serving of protein anyway (about 13-16 grams per serving, max, is all our bodies can process) so I do a half scoop with a cup of skin milk, and it is delish!).

Good luck!
    Betty
    :flowerforyou:
  • amicklin
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input!!! It is much appreciated!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I love the idea of the chocolate milk as a recovery drink. I will do some research on it. I will check on that Australian brand, my local GNC guys are pretty helpful.

:drinker: :drinker:
  • amicklin
    Options
    Question about the chocolate milk, does it make a difference whether it is 1%, 2%, skim or whole?

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Question about the chocolate milk, does it make a difference whether it is 1%, 2%, skim or whole?

I believe the studies were done using low fat chocolate milk, which is typically 1%. You probably want some fat in the milk to help with absorption, but I'm not sure how much the fat content matters.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is called Jay Rob. The whey protein, rice protein and egg white protein are all natural, no chemicals, preservatives and it is also sweetened with Stevia.

Are there any suggestions out there for a clean (free of: preservatives, dyes, etc.) recovery drink/ protein shake? I have been looking online. Have found that 1) recovery drink cost and arm and a leg :grumble: :sad: 2) Many have all these falouring, preservatives etc. I may end of sticking to what I have been doing, drinking skim milk before and after, hopefully that will work out!!

I am very concerned about bulking up, which I DO NOT want to do. I know I have heard woman cannot but I beg to differ. I build some bulky thigh muscles, trust me :wink: hahah! But it is my understanding that the more you weight lift, it increases testosterone in the body. I just want the protein/ recovery drink so that I can build LEAN muscle to burn more fat.. . .. whew, hopefully that came out in a coherent way!

Thanks for the input! :drinker:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Low fat chocolate milk is said to be the best post-workout snack. It has the right number of calories so you don't slump, and the right amount of protein to feed your muscles.
  • amicklin
    Options
    Thanks all, it is much appreciated! Have added a few new things to my grocery list!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    isn't all muscle lean?

Shhh....it's a secret.
  • babadee
    babadee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    go to walmart. you can buy "super advanced body fortress whey protein powder". comes in few flavors. it's 130 calories and 26 protein. $14 bucks for big jug. mix it with milk, water or ice for a smoothie. its great after workout. I use it after every workout I do.
  • amicklin
    Options
    isn't all muscle lean?

Shhh....it's a secret.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink:
  • dyf11710
    Options
    I use apple juice and about 1/4-1/2 scoop of whey protein powder. A proper recovery drink should have a carb-protein ratio that is 4:1.