What are YOUR favorite low cal, super filling vegetables?

Options
I've eaten about 3 pounds of broccoli this week and although it's delicious I'm a little afraid of turning green. What are your favorite veggies and how do you like them?

Replies

• jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    i really like zucchini sauted or roasted
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    i really like zucchini sauted or roasted

mmmmm zucchini is the bomb

I love asparagus :) yellow squash and spinach. yum yum!
  • anticheer101
    Options
    For fruit, Watermelon! It is super cheap in the summer and so good on those hot days where you need a cold snack. PLUS it is a negative calorie, so go ahead... Eat the WHOLE thing

Other negative calories foods according to : http://www.livestrong.com/article/28673-list-negative-calorie-foods/

includes apples, asparagus, beets, broccoli, cabbage (green), carrots, cauliflower, celery roots, celery chicory, chili peppers, cranberries, cucumbers, dandelions, endive, garden cress, garlic, green beans, eggplants, grapefruit, lemon mango, lettuce, onions, oranges, papayas, pineapples, radishes, raspberries, spinach
    strawberries, tangerines, turnips and zucchini.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Totally addicted to those skinny green beans (haricots verts). I love them raw with salsa or hummus, steamed, or just plain!
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to grill zucchini! I love it all ways, but something about grilling brings out more flavor. Delish!!
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower!!!

I roast it. Just throw what you want in a bowl, spray some cooking spray on it, toss in some salt and pepper. We add other seasoning or sometimes parm cheese. Today I added some garlic, cayenne pepper and paprika. Sometimes I add curry powder.
    Roast at 400* for 30 minutes. It is delicious
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, summer squash, spinach, broccoli, and bell peppers are my favorite! Mushrooms too, but I guess that's technically not a vegetable. I like to throw all of those in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil and onions and saute them all together. Delicious!
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cut-up raw tomatoes, with salt and freshly-ground pepper.

Red bell peppers. They're great raw (esp w/ a little low-cal Italian vinaigrette dressing), but if you roast them they're even better. I just cut them into slices and stick them in the toaster oven on the bare rack. Then once they've cooled I eat them plain.

Mushrooms. I think they're gross when they're raw, but roasted or sauteed mushrooms are fantastic. I love the springy texture and nutty flavor.
  • tari12340
    tari12340 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Totally love edamame!! Great snack food....and because you pull the "peas" out of the pod, it takes longer to eat, so you feel like you ate more. Nothing wrong with that!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Roast cauliflower! Or turn it into rice. The internet is filled with deeeeee-licious "cauliflower rice" recipes. <3

Make zucchini into spaghetti. Or use spaghetti squash.

Get a BUNCH of greens (collards are my fave) and render a slice or two of uncured bacon, toss in onion and garlic, then the cleaned and chopped greens. I eat this with fried eggs on top and LOTS of hot sauce.

(And when you're not sick of broccoli, try roasting that, too. Toss w/ olive oil, chopped garlic, some red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper, and roast in a 400 degree oven until it's tender enough to eat. Add some pecorino at the end if you want. OR do tamari w/ garlic, olive oil, ginger, salt, and pepper.)

I make most of these regularly. Happy cooking! ;D
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Raw grape tomatoes. I'm completely addicted!
  • Vegetables_are_fun
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for the ideas :) This inspires me to keep up with the fitness and to go make some yummy dinner :D
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Butter nut squash. Slice it in halve long ways, scoop out the seeds and loose threads. Then back face down on a baking sheet, sprayed lightly. bake at 450 degrees. for about an hour. the skin will bubble and look burned. When it is done scoop out the meat and mash it. I add a very small amount of splenda and 1 tbs of pumpkin spice or plain cinnomon. Mash it all together. I fix both halves at the same time. I then portion out 1/2 cups into snack bags. I then eat one to two at a time. It is extremely filling.

This recipe calorie count is 82 calories per cup. I hope other enjoy this as much as I do.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    By the way, I believe we are coming into the perfect season for eatting low cal. Fresh fruits and veggies should be aboundant. I love the farmers sale on sat am. Call me crazy, I also stop and ask people whose fruit trees are over flowing, if I can have some. The answer is usually yes, take as much as you want. If you are gonna do this make sure to take bags with you. Good luck.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I LOVE broccoli too, steamed w/ a drizzle of homemade teriyaki sauce.

My second favorite is sauteed FRESH green beans w/ garlic salt, onion powder and crushed red pepper flakes. yummeerrrsss!!
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    In the summer, I love cabbage! I eat it as coleslaw and just use any recipe but substitute mayo with greek yogurt. I can eat a huge bowlful for barely any calories and it's super filling!
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    spinach, bell peppers, cauliflower, lettuce, zucchinis, squashes (not all together :P)

I want to try out spaghetti squash sometime soon :)
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    bump for later
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower!!!

I roast it. Just throw what you want in a bowl, spray some cooking spray on it, toss in some salt and pepper. We add other seasoning or sometimes parm cheese. Today I added some garlic, cayenne pepper and paprika. Sometimes I add curry powder.
    Roast at 400* for 30 minutes. It is delicious

Thanks for that, I always boil it and never thought of roasting it. Caulis are my favourite too! x
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    mushrooms , yellow squash, zucchini and onions soaked overnight in fat free Italian dressing and put in a roasting pan or tin foil pouch on grill! Yummy!!!