Need Motivation and Support

So I came into this whole Life Style Change with a gung ho attitude, and now I have lost it. I don't really know what to do. I am irritated, maybe depressed, and just don't have the will power to get up and exercise. Because my hours have changed at work, I am staying up late, sleeping late, working late, and not exercising. It is a vicious cycle that I honestly don't know how to break. I have went on one walk, and that was it.

I have managed to somehow reduce my mountain dew intake. And that was a huge feat! I have been drinking mountain dew ever since I can remember. I was drinking at least one if not more 20oz a day. I am down now, to ONE 16oz every other day, and sometimes, I only drink half and will save the other half. I am drinking a LOT more water, probably more than I ever have in my life. I am trying to eat healthier but that just isn't happening either. I bought a bunch of lean cuisine meals but have opted for snack size bags of chips and little debbie snacks.

WHAT CAN I DO FOR MOTIVATION??? WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP KEEP ME ON TRACK?? ANY AND ALL HELP AND SUGGESTIONS ARE ACCEPTED AND APPRECIATED. :)

Replies

• ChelsieMG
    ChelsieMG Posts: 16 Member
    Motivation is really a very personal thing. You just need to find what motivates you best.
    For me it was my daughter. At my heaviest It was hard to breath even just bending over. I wanted to be able to run with her and play with her without having to take a break or tell her mommy couldn't play.
    Ask yourself "Why do you want to lose the weight?" For you it could be anything... but no matter what it is. Keep reminding yourself of it. Its so hard to get started but once you start seeing and feeling results it becomes easier and easier.
    Also having a support system is so important. Looks like you have come to the right place, the people here are so awesome and supportive. Don't be shy add friends and be proud of every step you take.
    If you have a bad day, remember its just that, one bad day or one bad meal. Don't let it ruin the rest of your day, or week. Its not "all or nothing".
    It all starts with just one good choice...
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Everyone has to find that one thing with will make them want to get up off the couch and work out or eat healthier! I actually have 2 of those things! The first was seeing the number on the scale right after my birthday last month. When I realized I had topped 300, it really opened my eyes to what I was doing to my body. The 2nd motivator, a picture of myself at that weight. A friend took a picture so I 'd have a before to use as a starting point. That picture is something that I will hold onto forever, because I do not EVER want to look like that again! It is easy to think great ideas and never follow thru, that is what I've done for years, and it has gotten me to over 300lbs! I have found that a good support group of people trying to accomplish the same thing is very inspiring! The people on here are so motivating and helpful and always have a kind word and that has helped me so much over the last week as I get started.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Having schedule changes doesn't help with motivation and interrupts whatever new, healthier, patterns you may have begun, but that doesn't mean you can't continue to incorporate strategies to eat less and exercise more. I empathize with the issue of motivation. I have health reasons to lose weight, but somehow they just don't feel compelling enough to keep me on track. For me the main substance that gets in the way of keeping on track is beer. Cutting down should be easy, but it's so easy to drink! Like the soda! Water is the best substitute, but it has no flavor or noticable effect as do caffeine and alcohol. The only thing I can say about that is to try to be aware of when you are ingesting the stuff that needs to be replaced with something more nutrient-dense and lower calorie. Awareness has to come before you can change your behavior. I'm not saying that's easy, and you're already becoming more aware if you are able to describe what you're doing. I recommend two things: Using this website, keep a blog or personal diary of not only what you eat, but when, what else you're doing, and how you feel about it. You've probably heard this before, and if you just try it for a few days or a week, you might gain some insight into what motivates you to eat and not exercise or not eat and do exercise. The other thing I recommend is combining exercise with transportation whenever possible. Whatever small trips to the store, library, playground, school, or whatever is within a 3 mile round-trip walk or a 6 mile bike ride instead of driving and your exercise will be done for the day. Yes, it takes time, but it's easier to combine exercise and transportation than plan a separate time to exercise. Involve the kids. One thing I used to do is put the kid on his bike and walk as fast as I could behind him with instructions for him to stay close enough we could see each other. Even now I ride my bike with my family to the library and that can be a very fun, invigorating, even motivating activity for the whole family. I don't know what interests you have, but taking up dancing or joining a softball team are ways to get in exercise, "me time," and have fun. Fun is pretty motivating. From what you said, it sounds like you need some fun. Sex is good exercise, too, if you can get that in. It can be fun.... Hope something here makes sense and you find useful. I need help with motivation, too. The distance between my hand and my mouth is short and things end up in my mouth and my stomach before I've paid attention to what I just ate. I keep wishing it hurt badly to eat too much or eat foods that one doesn't need to keep my body alive and in good health.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    When I was depressed I started writing down what I did do, instead of what I didn't do.

Write it down as you do it, or just keep a mental tally. Think about when you wanted to have that extra mountain dew but didn't. Remember that. That's a good thing. It is a step in the right direction. Think about when you sat down watching tv and you didn't have a snack, or you didn't have all of it, or you made the snack smaller than what you initially wanted. Gets you on the track of thinking happy thoughts, of what you are doing right.