Trip to Disney :)

capetile
capetile Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been on here for approx 5 weeks and have lost 12 pounds :). We are planning a trip to Disneyland for a WEEK!!!!! Any suggestions on diet? I'm already planning on getting exercise in the wee hours of the morning before we hit the parks, but the food down there is not for the dieting type:). I've kinda come to the conclusion that maybe I just be as good as I can when it comes to food, drink lots of water and exercise when I can (goal is to exercise min. 3 of the 7 days we are there). I don't want to get to wrapped up in dieting while I'm down there and have it ruin my vacation because of all the guilt trips I'm giving myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!:smile:

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Order salads with lots of protein on them (eggs, GRILLED chicken, steak, etc).... and bring your own individual-serving packets of kraft free or kraft light salad dressing.... my grocery store doesn't carry them, but "Dollar General" and the "99 Cent Store" both have them near us.... :bigsmile:

Drink water - bring it with you if you can (lots cheaper).

Eat lean lunchmeat sandwiches on whole grain breads....

Snack on popcorn without the butter... bring fruit with you, or buy it there. The way I figure it, a banana is worth $2.00 when the alternative is something that's going to sabotage my goals.... and if you want a treat... get a frozen, chocolate covered banana :tongue:

Treat yourself a little - it's a special trip! Don't freak out if you can't find a healthy option (though it's disney, they will almost definitely have healthy choices!), and enjoy yourself. You're going to be on your feet most of the day, a little extra is not going to kill you.

Biggest tip? When your vacation is over, get back on the ball right away. Don't have the "I just ruined my plans to get healthy, why bother?" or the "What's one more week of eating crap?" mentalities....

Have a fantastic time!!! :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Oh, and congratulations!!!! Sounds like you're on the right path, keep up the good work!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    I have never been to disneyland but many many times to Disney World. They have become very good in the last few years about better food choices. They have fruit carts on the streets now and their lunch menu has good salads on it now. I would think Disney Land would be similar. Hope this helps. just do the best you can. Have fun and keep up the good work.
  • I always go to disneyland (since I live close), and I usually buy a foot long subway sandwich w/out condiments (so it doesn't get soggy), then I eat half for lunch, and half for dinner, and just add the condiments when I'm inside the park ready to eat. I'll also bring fruit or baked layes to have w/ it, and if I need something sweet afterward, I usually buy a chocolate covered frozen banana (160 cals) instead of ice cream or some other high calorie dessert. The little ice cream stands sell them and the really do satisfy the chocolate/ice cream cravings!
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    yeah i agree with everyone, bring goodies so your not tempted by icky fried foods and such (well maybe just once or twice is ok hehe). Bring some raw almonds, granola bars, apples or other fruit for snacks (they make this really good low fat caramel dip that you can dip your apple slices in thats realllly good like a dessert, not sure how many cals but I never use up more than half for one apple, peanut butter is really good on apples too), and my absolute fav sandwich is whole wheat bread, roasted red pepper hummus, a slice of pepperjack cheese and then in a ziploc bag or container put some sliced tomato and cucumber slices and put it on when you are ready to eat it so it doesn't make the bread soggy, mmm it is delicious. Hummus is pretty much good on anything too, celery and carrot sticks, tlc crackers or fiber select wheat thins, pita bread or pita chips, whatever, its good! Oh yeah and if you get pizza in the park you can always use the tip of using a napkin to sponge off the excess grease and fat, saves some calories. Salads are always good, but i've never been to disney they probably use iceberg lettuce as a base (or crunchy water as I like to call it).

Well, regardless, don't worry about it too much and have a ton of fun!
  • I just spent one day last weekend at Disney World and was pleasantly surprised that they have added fruit to a lot of the snack stands! It was really refreshing because of the heat and I didn't feel so much pressure to eat the "bad" stuff. And don't forget to add all the walking you'll be doing!
This discussion has been closed.