Veganism, raw foods, creating a healthy mind.

Options
Hey everyone!

I have been on and off the site for awhile and thought I'd post an introduction thread for myself.

Anyone who is interested in, or has questions about raw or natural foods, veganism, fueling your mind and creating optimal health through nutrition feel free to add me or message me anytime. I love sharing what I know.

Good luck on your journey!

Replies

• iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi Jesse!
    How long have you been eating this way? I have been trying for a 70% raw diet and have noticed some major changes already...including mental clarity, and its almost like a veil has lifted, and I see people and the world around me with so much more clarity...I feel really in tune alot of the time...if that makes any sense....what kind of changes have you noticed since going raw?
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh I know exactly what you are talking about! Raw foods are full of living enzymes so naturally, they make you feel alive.

I have been 85-90% raw for quite a while now, I go 100% raw normally in intervals if I'm trying to cut body fat or train for endurance.

You really have to tweak it to what you feel your body needs. The only way to do that is to experiment.

Since eating this way I have noticed increased mental clarity, concentration, energy, no headaches, no sickness, no seasonal allergies, clearer skin, healthy consistant weight loss. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I coughed.
  • DawnAnonymous
    Options
    Hey! From Houston, Texas - meat & potatos all the way...until last year.

First I cut out red meat, then milk, then all meat, and now I'm tetering on the edge of veganism. I can't seem to let go of the cheese...

I drink soy milk, do you have any opinions on the almond vs. soy milk?

I am on a Roller Derby team (1 year) and started Insanity two days ago. So far, so good.

I read your post and thought, man...I think I could do that (raw foods). I guess I need to get my google on.

What got you started in that direction?
  • scout266
    scout266 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also on a vegan diet. I used to be on it a year ago, but then moved overseas and started eating the local food. Now I am back to being plant strong and have just started insanity as well (I just finished week one).

I did pure raw food once....but only for about 2 weeks. I coudn't handle it. It just got too boring and I was dying for something like hot soup, etc.
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I want to go vegan, mainly for the principle of inhumane treatment of animals, but in reality I don't think I could give up meat or cheese. I want to try to see if I can for like a two-week or month trial period. How long have you been on the raw food/vegan diet? and Cany you give me any tips or critical advice (need-to-know info) before I go vegan/raw food.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options
    Hey! From Houston, Texas - meat & potatos all the way...until last year.

First I cut out red meat, then milk, then all meat, and now I'm tetering on the edge of veganism. I can't seem to let go of the cheese...

I drink soy milk, do you have any opinions on the almond vs. soy milk?

I am on a Roller Derby team (1 year) and started Insanity two days ago. So far, so good.

I read your post and thought, man...I think I could do that (raw foods). I guess I need to get my google on.

What got you started in that direction?

Hey, A fellow Texan! I grew up in cattle country so i know all about the meat and potatoes!

I originally got into fitness and nutrition like everyone else I suppose, little by little. When I started, I bought into the entire world of body building where it is all about PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN and supplements. I began eating a strict diet of lean meats, brown rice, oatmeal, eggs, yogurt, fruits, steamed vegetables, protein powders, etc. I was lifting weights heavy and doing moderate cardio. I was getting good results slowly, but physical appearance aside, something was just missing. I was eating 6 meals a day, and was always hungry, always thinking about food. I felt like my whole life revolved around food, preparing food, and thinking about food. I realized stuffing my face all the time regardless of how good I looked just couldn't be healthy. Just because someone is ripped with big muscles and strong, doesn't mean they are healthy. In fact, I see in many cases, the exact opposite. At this point, I started to sway away from physical appearance being my # 1 priority and into "optimal health". I can't remember exactly how I became a vegetarian, I think I read a good success story by a vegetarian body builder and read a few good studies on meat and protein sources. I also had a few friends who were vegetarian and decided I'd like to see if I noticed any benefits. I didn't really notice a lot of difference right off the bat, although I did start to feel more positive and healthy overall (this could have just been mental). I think more than anything I kept doing it because it was fun! I started learning more and more new vegetarian recipes and started eating new foods that I'd never eaten before like tofu. Also, this opened me up to eating more natural foods. I have always loved fruit, but now I was exploring lots of different vegetables. I thought about just going vegan at the time I went vegetarian, but like you guys I thought I couldn't live without cheese or dairy. At this point, I bought a copy of a book called "The China Study" through some reference. I could not put it down. I went completely vegan the next day and never looked back. After the China Study I kept looking for other opinions on nutrition, opposite opinions, I wanted to get many aspects so that I could make the most educated decision. The deeper I pried into the nutrition world, the more I started to connect together and the more I slowly concluded that a mostly raw, organic, guilt free diet that minimally compromises our environment just made the most sense to me.

When I first started living this way it was 100% for health reason, but now the longer I eat this type of diet the more in tune I feel with nature, life, animals, everything. I know this sounds kind of "hippie", but it is the truth and it is unexplainable.

I try to follow one simple phrase in my life that is taught in Buddhism (I'm not Buddhist, per say) that is "Do no harm." I think this phrase is very powerful and I can never forget it. I strive to do as little harm in this world as possible little by little, day by day. Society and science proves that we do not need animal flesh to thrive in this live, so I choose not to consume it. On top of that, Plant protein is the greatest source of protein for your body.

Many people argue that humans are omnivores, I disagree. I think humans are opportunists. I believe humans began eating meat due to a lack of other resources. If we were truly omnivores the sight of a fresh animal carcass would make our mouths water. We of course know this to be untrue, I grew up deer hunting and let me tell you... a fresh deer carcass is not appealing. That is why we cook the meat, to hide the pungent odor. These are just some of the "common sense" principles I choose to accept regarding the way I think my body was designed to eat food. By no means am I judging anyone who chooses to consume meat./animal products, my whole family consumes meat almost every meal. I think people have to make that decision for themselves and the best way is to experiment. A lot of the time people disregard veganism because they don't care enough about health, but it goes so much deeper than nutrition. Here are some more good reasons to choose an animal free diet:

1.) •The United Nations reports that factory farming generates more greenhouse gasses, which cause climate change, than all the transportation systems combined!

2.)You’ll spare animals. Many vegetarians give up meat because of their concern for animals. Ten billion animals are slaughtered for human consumption each year. And, unlike the farms of yesteryear where animals roamed freely, today most animals are factory farmed crammed into cages where they can barely move and fed a diet tainted with pesticides and antibiotics. These animals spend their entire lives in crates or stalls so small that they cant even turn around. Farmed animals are not protected from cruelty under the law—in fact, the majority of state anti cruelty laws specifically exempt farm animals from basic humane protection.

3.)You’ll reduce your risk of food-borne illnesses. The CDC reports that food-borne illnesses of all kinds account for 76 million illnesses a year, resulting in 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths in the United States. According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), foods rich in protein such as meat, poultry, fish and seafood are frequently involved in food-borne illness outbreaks.

4.)You’ll have more energy. Good nutrition generates more usable energy—energy to keep pace with the kids, tackle that home improvement project or have better sex more often, Michael F. Roizen, MD, says in The RealAge Diet. Too much fat in your bloodstream means that arteries wont open properly and that your muscles wont get enough oxygen. The result? You feel zapped. Balanced vegan diets are naturally free of cholesterol-laden, artery-clogging animal products that physically slow us down and keep us hitting the snooze button morning after morning. And because whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables are so high in complex carbohydrates, they supply the body with plenty of energizing fuel.

5.)You’ll avoid toxic chemicals. The EPA estimates that nearly 95 percent of the pesticide residue in the typical American diet comes from meat, fish and dairy products. Fish, in particular, contain carcinogens (PCBs, DDT) and heavy metals (mercury, arsenic, lead, cadmium) that cant be removed through cooking or freezing. Meat and dairy products can also be laced with steroids and hormones,

6.)You’ll help reduce famine. About 70 percent of all grain produced in the United States is fed to animals raised for slaughter. The 7 billion livestock animals in the United States consume five times as much grain as is consumed directly by the American population. if all the grain currently fed to livestock were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million,” says David Pimentel, professor of ecology at Cornell University. If the grain were exported, it would boost the US trade balance by $80 billion a year.

My best advice to anyone who wants to transition into veganism is to educate yourself very well, read read read! It is very easy to become nutrient deficient on a vegan diet if you do not eat properly (ex. not enough calories, or not a large enough variety).

There are tons of vegan substitutes for cheese, and even meats! I do not recommend eating large quantities of these foods. Vegan, raw vegan, vegetarian...Junk food is junk food!Although they may be great to use as a transitional aid. A more natural cheese alternative would be "Bragg's nutritional yeast" I find it has a nice chess flavor to it, but it is only a dry flaky seasoning. Also Raw vegans make cheese dip using raw cashews that i have eaten and it is pretty good. Again, eat in small doses as it is very high in fat.

With the soy milk, Soy is a fantastic source of protein and very versatile. I only drink almond milk, and not soy milk anymore. I do eat tofu on occasion, but not often. There have been several studies released on soy consumption in large quantities that point to it potentially causing problems. How true any of these studies are, I can't say. That said, soy is processed and fermented so I choose to eat it very lightly just to be safe.

My best advice is just take it slow and cut out one thing at a time. Don't rush into veganism, it is a big step! Also, it comes with a lot of attention (mostly negative) from your peers. You have to really know why you are doing it, why you think it is important, and be willing to stand your ground.

Here are a few great books: "The China Study", "The 80/10/10 diet", Bragg's The miracle of Fasting" "Bragg's living a healthy lifestyle".

Documentaries: "Food Matters", "Fat,Sick, and nearly dead", "food Inc", "Knives over forks" <-- all on Netflix
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I would never want to go fully raw as cooking is something i've started to enjoy and it's healthy that i'm happy to spend time cooking and eating meals instead of being afraid of food (: However I have been vegan for 3 years, and would love to look into making the meals I cook for myself (I have breakfast and lunch by myself, and then cook dinner for my boyfriend and I- he's not vegan though). I am so bad when it comes to carbs (mainly baked potatoes and wholewheat pasta!) Do you have any suggestions for some good raw breakfast/lunch recipes that are cheap? (our food budget is £25 a week for the both of us) (:
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options
    I would never want to go fully raw as cooking is something i've started to enjoy and it's healthy that i'm happy to spend time cooking and eating meals instead of being afraid of food (: However I have been vegan for 3 years, and would love to look into making the meals I cook for myself (I have breakfast and lunch by myself, and then cook dinner for my boyfriend and I- he's not vegan though). I am so bad when it comes to carbs (mainly baked potatoes and wholewheat pasta!) Do you have any suggestions for some good raw breakfast/lunch recipes that are cheap? (our food budget is £25 a week for the both of us) (:

I fully agree with you. Although there are so many chemicals in our modern food system, Obsessing over food too much can be miserable. I've come to the conclusion that If black beans, brown rice, rolled oats, organic peanut butter, and steamed vegetables are the worst things in my diet...I'm doing pretty good, ha ha. Most of Asia has eaten a plant based diet including rice and very small weekly portions of meat/fish for thousands of years. They have proven to be one of the most healthy, longest living societies on earth. Particular foods aside, I believe the biggest killer of our society is over-eating or "disease of affluence".

The most simple, affordable raw breakfast I know of would be locally grown fruit! Aside from that It would be really great for you to learn how to sprout. You can buy pre packaged sprouted foods, but they are crazy pricey! Sprouting is easy with a little preparation. You can sprout things like quinoa, buck wheat, brown rice, millet, or lentils. Making a fast and easy raw oatmeal or cereal. Here is a good article on sprouting: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sprouting.html

I'm not going to lie to you, eating raw meals can get very elaborate and require several kitchen utensils including a food processor, high quality blender, mandolin slicer, spiraler, dehydrator, etc, not to mention ingredients that I have never even heard of. This is why I am so big on fresh whole fruits and vegetables, they are quick easy and delicious. For the best "raw meal" cook book that I've ever read check out Mimi Kirk's "live raw" http://www.amazon.com/Live-Raw-Recipes-Health-Timeless/dp/1616082747/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342791346&sr=8-1&keywords=live+raw

Eating a lot of pasta is a common problem among vegans and vegetarians. I remember when I first stopped eating meat, I ate a lot of pasta as well. I wouldn't worry about the carbs from pasta (they don't make you fat). Excess calories and lack of exercise make people fat, plain and simple. Unfortunately, pasta is a high calorie food, so as long as you eat it in small portions, you shouldn't have any problems with it. That said, the more natural you can transition your diet, the better overall you will feel and the less you'll have to worry about what you are eating. When I'm not in a 100% raw phase, I eat lots of brown rice and black beans, Brown rice is great with steamed veggies and I use Bragg's liquid aminos sometimes in small doses to add a little sodium. Another fast meal I make sometimes is organic all natural canned tomatoes mixed into a cup or so of lentils or brown rice, maybe throw in some steamed okra or eggplant.

Again, I'd say your best bet considering your budget would be whole fresh fruits and vegetables for quick cheap meals.
    For cooked meals, definitely black/kidney beans, lentils, and rolled oats. You can buy very large quantities of all 3 for super cheap. I buy organic rolled oats here in the U.S. for like $2.00 (1.64 £) per lb! That is a lot of rolled oats. I normally eat 1/2 cup rolled oats w/ 2 tbsp organic natural peanut butter, 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs, 2 tbsp raw agave nectar, and a pinch of cinnamon. It is a fantastic, easy, breakfast meal.

I hope all of this helps! :D
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I tried going on a vegan / pescatarian diet that my sister forced on me. I lasted about a week an half before I went mad and went out and ate a 12 oz ribeye steak. I like veggies but i just cant stand only eating that everyday.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options
    I tried going on a vegan / pescatarian diet that my sister forced on me. I lasted about a week an half before I went mad and went out and ate a 12 oz ribeye steak. I like veggies but i just cant stand only eating that everyday.

I think the common misconception is that vegans just sit around and eat vegetables all day. How boring that would be!

A well balanced vegan diet is full of so many different foods, meals, and spices. I keep learning and trying new food everyday!

I urge you to find a good community of vegans around your area, maybe even some vegan potlucks that you can try new foods at, and give it one more try. :)
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I think the common misconception is that vegans just sit around and eat vegetables all day. How boring that would be!

A well balanced vegan diet is full of so many different foods, meals, and spices. I keep learning and trying new food everyday!

I urge you to find a good community of vegans around your area, maybe even some vegan potlucks that you can try new foods at, and give it one more try. :)

It's not that I didn't like eating the veggie dishes. I had a Veggie stir fry and Veggie Burger that was very good. But in my opinion, would have tasted a lot better with some beef or chicken.

I have tried many tofu dishes, but i cant stand tofu at all. I don't know if its texture or what, but it just does not taste or feel right when I eat it.

I just think my taste buds and view of food is weird.

For instance a tomato. There are some forms or dishes of it that I don't like.

Example: I like cherry tomatoes in my salad. But i can not eat a tomato wedge in my salad.
  • nwebb822_cancel
    nwebb822_cancel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Jesse, I like your posts. My husband and I are plant-eaters (no meat, dairy, oil, or high-fat plant foods like nuts, avocados and olives) for almost a year now. We are also happy and healthy on our diet. I see you use canned tomatoes. Do you know that you can make your own "canned" style tomatoes in a crock pot? This is much healthier than using canned foods. Oh, you can also cook your beans from dried (way cheaper) in a crockpot. Before you go to bed at night, throw your dried beans in a crockpot, cover by about 3 inches of water, set on low, and in the morning you have "Canned" style beans. Pack in 1 1/2 c storage containers in the fridge for the equivalent of a can of beans. :wink:
  • DawnAnonymous
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I've seen a lot of the documentaries you recommended, and I read books on Tao & Buddha as well. I do feel "lighter" since giving up meat...my mind being more clear. I also like not worrying about food. I think it was from Mahatma Gandhi that I took the lesson that a meal is purely fuel for the body, if it turns to something we covet and desire then it becomes gluttonous.

Anyway, I like your ideas and I love lean muscle versus bulk. You really harness the 'complete package' of what I want for my own body.

Thanks again!
    Dawn
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options
    But in my opinion, would have tasted a lot better with some beef or chicken.

Ha ha, This makes me laugh because my parents say the exact same things when I try to get them to eat stuff. My mom is all about the salt, "You need to salt that" "It tastes ok, but it needs salt."

What happens there is that her taste buds, and mind automatically expect the salt. Without it, the food tastes bland. It isn't that her taste buds are weird, They are just clouded. This results in the average westerner consuming 4X their sodium recommendation daily! The more salt (and other things like this) that you slowly remove from your diet, the more natural flavors will start to come out of your food. My mom also like you, doesn't like the texture of tofu. She says "It feels and looks like egg white, but it isn't egg white and that's weird." The thing about tofu is how versatile it is! You can use it to make burgers, pie filling, pudding, ground beef substitute, or eat it uncooked! I sliced it into thin pieces, baked it for 20 minutes it spicy sauce and made TST's (tofu, spinach, tomato) sandwiches. My mom loved them!

If you like the taste of meat and don't have any objections to eating it, then eat meat My only advice is just to limit it, Eating meat every meal 7 days a week is over consumption, and not without serious consequences, as society and medical studies prove.

The tomato thing is kind of strange, although I do think cherry tomatoes have a much bolder and rich taste than regular store bought large tomatoes. However, If you've never had a homegrown large tomato, a store bought variety is no comparison. I find them to be extremely bland and unsatisfying.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options
    Jesse, I like your posts. My husband and I are plant-eaters (no meat, dairy, oil, or high-fat plant foods like nuts, avocados and olives) for almost a year now. We are also happy and healthy on our diet. I see you use canned tomatoes. Do you know that you can make your own "canned" style tomatoes in a crock pot? This is much healthier than using canned foods. Oh, you can also cook your beans from dried (way cheaper) in a crockpot. Before you go to bed at night, throw your dried beans in a crockpot, cover by about 3 inches of water, set on low, and in the morning you have "Canned" style beans. Pack in 1 1/2 c storage containers in the fridge for the equivalent of a can of beans. :wink:

Thank you for the compliment, and the great info!

I should specify that I never use canned vegetables unless it is a case where I truly have no time to spare. Even then, I never use a canned vegetable that isn't salt free, chemical free, and organic, in the case of the tomatoes. Dry beans and grains are definitely the way to go. No additives, no preservatives, and super cheap!

So you guys don't eat ANY nuts or seeds? That is awesome to hear that your diets are thriving. I'm curious as to what your average % of calories from fat per day or week are? It seems they would be extremely low. Thanks again!
  • iris8pie
    Options
    When I first started living this way it was 100% for health reason, but now the longer I eat this type of diet the more in tune I feel with nature, life, animals, everything. I know this sounds kind of "hippie", but it is the truth and it is unexplainable.

Im Glad Im not the only one that felt this way...Ive added other foods back into my diet now, but the few days I went raw, I kind of thought I was going crazy! (or going sane? more accurately...)

It sounds totally nutty, but I was feeling peoples energy crystal clearly... to the point of clairvoyance. I could see/feel peoples energy fields. I could sense their moods and It was almost like being in a dream. My intuitive sense were heightened. I could articulate my thoughts and feelings more clearly, and things felt so much more meaningful than normal I felt the energy coming from nature, and especially the sun... and ok this is going to sound totally bonkers but I could talk to my cat. Basically in the way that I could pick up on others peoples vibes I could also pick up his energy field, and communicate with him. I thought this may be my imagination, but he totally responded...and became way more affectionate than normal, it seemed he was relieved I was finally on his level. hahah... It was amazing! but it was too much for me. I am glad to know that I can go there, but I dont think I am ready to be there full time, it is so intense!
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options
    I think it was from Mahatma Gandhi that I took the lesson that a meal is purely fuel for the body, if it turns to something we covet and desire then it becomes gluttonous.

This is fantastic! I have slowly been on a path to purely eating for necessity and not for pleasure for awhile now. People always ask me if I ever get cravings for things like cake, burritos, or a cheeseburger. Not as much as one might think. I many times go for a week straight eating the exact same foods everyday at the exact same times. I have been eating a meal of bananas everyday this week for lunch. No matter how many days in a row I eat 10-14 bananas, my body welcomes them everyday. People will argue that food is not an addiction, well food IS an addiction. Through slowly cutting out all chemically processed foods, meditation, and brief water fasting I have rid my body of the extreme desire and need to view food as anything except a tool for sustaining life. This is becoming a wonderful feeling. The hardest part is getting your mind in the right place, for there it just gets easier and easier.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Options

Im Glad Im not the only one that felt this way...Ive added other foods back into my diet now, but the few days I went raw, I kind of thought I was going crazy! (or going sane? more accurately...)

It sounds totally nutty, but I was feeling peoples energy crystal clearly... to the point of clairvoyance. I could see/feel peoples energy fields. I could sense their moods and It was almost like being in a dream. My intuitive sense were heightened. I could articulate my thoughts and feelings more clearly, and things felt so much more meaningful than normal I felt the energy coming from nature, and especially the sun... and ok this is going to sound totally bonkers but I could talk to my cat. Basically in the way that I could pick up on others peoples vibes I could also pick up his energy field, and communicate with him. I thought this may be my imagination, but he totally responded...and became way more affectionate than normal, it seemed he was relieved I was finally on his level. hahah... It was amazing! but it was too much for me. I am glad to know that I can go there, but I dont think I am ready to be there full time, it is so intense!

Very interesting stuff! Michael Arnstein "The Fruitarian" claims that he can actually smell what people eat coming through their skin. This is due to his extreme sense of smell acquired from years of eating 100% raw. Other 100% fruitarian claims are no mucus, absolutely no body odor, rapid healing and increased vision.
  • iris8pie
    Options

Very interesting stuff! Michael Arnstein "The Fruitarian" claims that he can actually smell what people eat coming through their skin. This is due to his extreme sense of smell acquired from years of eating 100% raw. Other 100% fruitarian claims are no mucus, absolutely no body odor, rapid healing and increased vision.

Interesting about Micheal Arnstein. My friend travelled to Brazil and hung out with some indigenous people there for a while that told her they could see/smell food on her aura. they told her they saw a particular food (I forgot which food it was now) but she was surprised because she had been eating that food quite alot the month before she arrived in the jungle!

and about the improved eye sight! I suffer from eye floaters, and they completely disappear when i do a juice fast. its kind of remarkable!

although, I have wondered if the reason your eye sight improves while fasting is because your body thinks maybe you cant see your food, and is trying to help you out a bit...lol.
  • iris8pie
    Options
    This is my favorite healing with raw foods story...This beautiful woman healed herself from arthritis, MS and lost 200lbs by going raw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlXXg49vzMU&amp;feature=relmfu