That earthquake you just felt

Options
Was a 306 lb man doing the first work out in the Couch to 5K.:bigsmile:

A few things occured to me while running.

306 is the lightest I've been in probably 10 years.

I need to get a stop watch, I did one minute run, two minutes rest because i was using the clock on my cell phone.

I felt pretty good through the run without pain, but we'll see what my knees tell me over the next few days. If there's no pain beyond normal "muscles I haven't used in a while" pain I see no reason to jump off the deepend with this.

Replies

• SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I hope you enjoy the Couch to 5K as much as I did!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    awesome! :drinker:
  • artichoke
    Options
    HA!
    VERY cool!! Hope you had fun :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have an Iphone and downloaded a great app for c25k it works with your own music an cues you to run or walk.............havnt started yet but i think you just encouraged me to do so!:flowerforyou:

Great job!:flowerforyou:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you get a stop watch... get one w/ a light!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Great work ipo! Hey, we all start somewhere!

Better than a stop watch, get an HRM, I'm telling you, best investment you'll ever make.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Good for you!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

On a side note. I heard there is something you can put on your ipod that will tell you when to run/walk. If anyone has the link to download that would you mind sharing? Please:flowerforyou:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Congratulations
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you get a stop watch... get one w/ a light!

I was thinking about that. Soon the only time I will have to run is when it's dark.
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    I did the c2k5 and eventutualy did my longest run of 20 miles. Its a great program. I started at my highest too. Congratulations!!!!! Keep at it.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I am on Week 2, Day 3. I am using podcasts from http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page6/page6.html which have good music and tells you when to walk and run.

Keep up the great work!!!!

Tammy
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I need to get a stop watch, I did one minute run, two minutes rest because i was using the clock on my cell phone.

I felt pretty good through the run without pain, but we'll see what my knees tell me over the next few days. If there's no pain beyond normal "muscles I haven't used in a while" pain I see no reason to jump off the deepend with this.

What a blessing!

Wonderful news-- keep it up-- jump on in the deepend with the rest of us nutty runners!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Great Job!!! It does get easier. Remember even if you are walking you are still covering the distance. Running burns more calories and you finish sooner:smile: But just make sure and get out there. You are doing yourself a favor every mile you cover. I did couch to half marathon last year, this year I am training for the full marathon. You can do it just keep at it. I always tell my self the days I don't want to train that it counts double.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    That's great!
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    We'll be right here waiting to hear!
    :heart:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I promise you it gets easier! And you will actually start to look forward to it, I never would have believed it for myself, but it's true! Have fun!:flowerforyou:
  • 2kaizen
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh! And congratulations! :drinker:

"Be kind to your knees ... you'll miss them when they're gone" from the Wear Sunscreen piece - Chicago Tribune

:flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Great job Iplay! You can google c25k and there are different podcasts you can download and they tell you when to run and when to walk. I have the Christian Indie one on my ipod. I start week 6 day 1 tomorrow. It's addicting, this running stuff. :laugh: I never in a million years thought I'd be able to run but I'm doing it.

Keep up the good work and left us know how you're doing. There are a bunch of us "running fools" on here. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Betty
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I tested a guy once in his early 40s who weighed just a shade under 300 (296). He was about 35% body fat (which is actually a lot less than you would think--his LBM was in the 190s, which is huge, considering he was only about 6'3").

Anyhow, his fitness level was low, lots of lifestyle risk factors, etc, etc. I gave him the standard talk about starting slow, reasonable goals, low impact, blah, blah, blah.

About a week or so later I came into work and I see him running on the treadmill. My first thought was "oh sh--! I wish he would wait until I got off, because I don't want to be the one who has to do CPR". His face was beet red, the sweat was flying, and the treadmill was shakin'! (I think the walls were shaking, too).

Well he survived, and I started seeing him regularly doing the same thing. After a few weeks, I noticed that the treadmill wasn't shaking as much, and the face wasn't as red, and actually there was a little less of him to admire.

He probably lost a good 60-70 pounds over the next year, and started looking pretty athletic (although still a big, naturally muscular guy). I think I retested him a year later and he came in at 18% fat or so, with a huge increase in aerobic capacity as well.

Anyhow, that's what I thought of when I read your post. Maybe his story can be your inspiration as well. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Congratulations.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

That's awesome! You gotta start somewhere! We have a good group of us doing this, join us and track your progress with us! :drinker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/63880-for-anyone-considering-the-couch-to-5k
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    WOOP-WOOP!!!!!!! Right on!!!!!!! :) Go go go.... (and be kind to your knees, and patient with yourself). You can do this - you totally can!