exercises for wheelchiar bound people

Options
Does anyone know of good exercises for weight loss that are for people who are wheelchair bound? I am in a manual wheelchair because of a birth defect and Spinal Cord Injury, and am having trouble losing weight in my hips, thighs, and buttocks because I am sitting all the time.

I use a exercise bike that works your upper and lower body at the same time, but I still haven't seen many results. The exercise bike I have moves your legs automatically when you move the upper body part. Its from a company called SCI Fit.
My physical therapist hasn't been much help in terms of helping with weight-loss exercises, because she is more concerned about flexibility and strengthing of my lower body right now.

Jessie

Replies

• twilks11
    twilks11 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hello again. Can you swim? A friend on mine is on here and she is in a wheelchair. Her therapist suggested she try swimming so thats what we do at least 2 times a week. She also has her sit on the floor and do some hips and butt therapy. She's probably a little over 300 pounds when we started this and its been almost a month since she wanted to lose weight. Since starting she has lost about 15 pounds I believe. I would really suggest asking a physical therapist what you allowed to do unless she has given you instructions on what not to do. I know thats not much help but im learning to help her as we go along..Good luck..
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi,not sure if you can swim or not? but another good cardio in stuff like punching in the air ect and weights also it will help tone you up x