How to seperate egg whites from the yolk

Options
I am going to cook tomorrow with egg white, but only have whole eggs. How do i cook it and how do I separate the egg whites from the yolk?

Replies

• jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    What do you want to cook that only needs egg whites?
    Unless its a specific recipe (like a pavlova, yum!), you are missing the most nutritious part of the egg in the yolk.

To separate, there are a few ways:
    - I break the egg in two and tip the yolk back and forward in the shell and let the white run out while the yolk stays in the shell.
    - you can break it onto a saucer and put a glass over the yolk and tip the white away.
    - on Masterchef they break the egg into their hand and let the white run through their fingers. I haven't tried this though.

You might like to google it, I'm sure you'll find a video that gives you better instruction that mine!
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    you cook and bake with them the same way you would with whole eggs as well.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Cooking it depends on what you are cooking. You say you are cooking -with- egg whites, so I'm guessing that it's just an ingredient of something else?

As for separating, there are a number of ways:

-You can get kitchen gadgets that do the job, though I find they clutter up my kitchen.

-You can try the "passing the yolk back an forth between the two shell halves" method, allowing the egg white to drop down into a container, but that runs the risk of tearing the yolk on the edge of the shell.

-My personal favourite method is, with clean hands, crack the egg into your slightly cupped hand. Open your fingers just a bit, allowing the egg white to flow through to a container underneath, but leaving the yolk intact in your hand. Save yolk in separate container.
  • beatingobesityforlife
    beatingobesityforlife Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut back on sodium, and I thought egg yolks were high in sodium
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    Why would anyone have eggs without the yolks!?

The egg nutrition discussion is riddled with disinformation in the U.S.

Egg yolks are the richest source of two superstar carotenoids—lutein and zeaxanthin. Not only are they bright yellow and cheerful looking, but yolks are loaded with fat-soluble antioxidant nutrients.

Besides providing all eight essential protein building amino acids, a large, whole, fresh egg offers about six to seven grams of protein and five grams of fat (with about 1.5 grams of it saturated), which comes in handy to help in the absorption of all the egg’s fat-soluble vitamins.

One egg contains the valuable vitamins A, K, E, D, B-complex and minerals iron, phosphorus, potassium and calcium.

Choline, another egg-nutrient, is a fatty substance found in every living cell and is a major component of our brain. Additionally, choline helps break up cholesterol deposits by preventing fat and cholesterol from sticking to the arteries.

If possible, buy real free range eggs from a local source.

Eat the yolks, folks! :wink:
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    I am just wanting to eat eggs without the yolk. Also, when i cook chicken I use eggs and want to only use egg whites as well.
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options

Egg yolks are the richest source of two superstar carotenoids—lutein and zeaxanthin. Not only are they bright yellow and cheerful looking, but yolks are loaded with fat-soluble antioxidant nutrients.

Besides providing all eight essential protein building amino acids, a large, whole, fresh egg offers about six to seven grams of protein and five grams of fat (with about 1.5 grams of it saturated), which comes in handy to help in the absorption of all the egg’s fat-soluble vitamins.

One egg contains the valuable vitamins A, K, E, D, B-complex and minerals iron, phosphorus, potassium and calcium.

Choline, another egg-nutrient, is a fatty substance found in every living cell and is a major component of our brain. Additionally, choline helps break up cholesterol deposits by preventing fat and cholesterol from sticking to the arteries.

I will see if my local store carrys the real free range eggs =) thanks so much!
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
  • lilah808
    Options

To be confused by this is not your fault. Diet fads have completely messed up the discussion about eggs. Eggs are nature's perfect food, except that they have no fiber, so one should eat fiber with the egg when possible. When in doubt, eat it whole and eat it natural, is my rule.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Or....you could always cheat...

24f38c30-c1d0-45d3-baff-5e18527e4eb7_Spec2_v1_m56577569834218343.jpg
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options

To be confused by this is not your fault. Diet fads have completely messed up the discussion about eggs. Eggs are nature's perfect food, except that they have no fiber, so one should eat fiber with the egg when possible. When in doubt, eat it whole and eat it natural, is my rule.

it def makes a lil more sense ..lol
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    Or....you could always cheat...

24f38c30-c1d0-45d3-baff-5e18527e4eb7_Spec2_v1_m56577569834218343.jpg

lol i love this!
  • pawneed5
    pawneed5 Posts: 37
    Options

FYI- Free Range only means that the chickens have "access" to the outside world. It could be one window, 10 feet high with a ladder, and they are still in the giant warehouses stacked on top of each other. They can be fed corn as well. "Organic" is tricky, people. Lawyers are smart, lol.
  • lilah808
    Options
    Egg yolks also contain arachidonic acid.

^5
  • lilah808
    Options

FYI- Free Range only means that the chickens have "access" to the outside world. It could be one window, 10 feet high with a ladder, and they are still in the giant warehouses stacked on top of each other. They can be fed corn as well. "Organic" is tricky, people. Lawyers are smart, lol.

True. Best thing is to buy local eggs if possible so you can find out the conditions yourself. :smile:
  • LinaBo
    Options
    I am trying to cut back on sodium, and I thought egg yolks were high in sodium

According to NutritionData.com , one large egg yolk contains just 8 milligrams of sodium ([http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2); are you sure you didn't accidentally mix up the cholesterol line and the sodium line when reading the nutritional info?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Good thing or bad thing??
    I'm going to guess good, even though it sounds like spider juice.
  • LinaBo
    Options

Haha, I saw that too, and also thought of spiders. I wouldn't have known what it was or whether or not it was implied to be a good thing, unless I looked it up on Wikipedia.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

Haha, I saw that too, and also thought of spiders. I wouldn't have known what it was or whether or not it was implied to be a good thing, unless I looked it up on Wikipedia.

not too worry your not gonna turn into spiderman! :bigsmile: