Vegetarian Packed Lunches

I start my new job tomorrow (9-5) and plan to continue my old job (6-8). The hours I will be working mean I am likely to be eating two 'packed lunch' style meals a day. I don't want to get bored of eating the same old things and end up giving up on my dieting.

Does anyone know of any low calorie, meat-free meals I can prepare on a morning / the night before to take to work with me to avoid this happening?

Any suggestions will be massively appreciated :happy:

Replies

• MyHighestPraise
    MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
    I'm running a little behind right now. I have some ideas (we love veggie burritos - easy to make, full of nutrition - I make several veggie patties that even my husband likes - travel well), but I will have to log on later in the day to share more.

Looking forward to reading everyone's input.

Catherine
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    bump
  • andiebarlow
    andiebarlow Posts: 3 Member
    Do you have access to a microwave at work?

If so, then you can take in all sorts of pre made meals, I take little containers of pre made meals, that I've portioned out and frozen in small 'Tupperware' pots. These then travel well as they don't drip/leak. I then make the rest at work in the micro. E.g I chop up spring greens, carrots and broccoli, cover with boiling water and microwave for six minutes.

Things I freeze: saag paneer , quorn mince & onion (like shepherds pie filling), to be served with new potatoes, (potatoes can be done in micro or do night before and re heat), veg moussaka, partha (smoked aubergine dish), no pastry quiche, aloo gobi, biriani sauce, 'meat balls' in tomato sauce, etc.

You just need to take in the rice or potatoes and veggies to go with this stuff, so if I'm having partha, I'd take in some brown rice and raw mixed veg (spring greens, carrots and broccoli, etc) which I then cook at work in the micro, otherwise they tend to be very limp if they're cooked the day before.

If no microwave:
    I make falafal and vege patties to go in wraps, stuffed with loads of salad. The falafal I like to serve with a 0% fat yoghurt and fresh mint dressing and humous. Veggie patties with home made salsa and lots of salad leaves.

I also find left over stir fry yummy, but then I like most things cold. :-)
  • You're a star. There is a microwave at work and I'll definitely be trying these ideas!!! Thank you!! x
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    - rice (switch it up: add beans, veggies, soya sauce - eggs if you eat eggs)
    - salads, or wraps - tons of stuff you can add to those
    - veggies and beans (this is what I have like every day)
    - cut up fruit for snacks
    - quinoa
    - burritos
    - tofu (breaded ... or any other way you like)
    - steamed veggies, lots of them
  • Flass
    Flass Posts: 60 Member
    make a big batch of bean salad at the start of the week and take a little each day. no cooking required so good for warmer months.
    my fave is:

1 can 4 bean mix
    1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 can corn kernels (drained and rinsed)
    1 red pepper finely diced
    1 green pepper finely diced
    1 stalk celery finely diced
    2 tomatoes finely diced
    1 small red onion finely diced
    and i put a little finley diced raw broccoli in mine too!

then make a dressing from lime juice,salt and paprkia, maybe a little cumin and chilli powder/flakes/fresh chilli

another easy winner is chickpea and veg tagine - make a big batch sunday night and it will last you all week. my recipe is roughly:

2 cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
    1 red pepper sliced
    1 onion sliced
    1 clove garlic
    1 zuchinni sliced
    250g cauliflower diced

fry the onion and garlic and some spices (curry power, harissa, paprkia, morroccan seasoning, ras el hanout, cumin, corriander, cinnamon, garam masala - choose which flavour combo you like) in a saucepan using a little vegie stock in the pan rather than oil or butter. fry off all the ingredients and keep adding a little veg stock to make it a bit saucy. if you want a thicker sauce add a can of diced tomatoes.

dish yourself up a little bean salad or tagine each day, maybe on a bed of fresh lettuce, rocket or baby spinach.

corn thins with some slices of cucumber, tomato and extra light cream cheese are a good snack too!

good luck fellow vego!!
  • Kona2014
    Kona2014 Posts: 38
    bump
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    bump!!