Stand up desk

This is my new "homemade" standing desk...Today is my first day using and I'm excited, been wanting to for a long time. I work at home so it is a lot easier for me than some but it's a lot easier to dance standing than sitting LOL

?action=view&current=380647_10150912333525723_576680694_n.jpg

Replies

• myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    why is my picture not showing...not even showing the code...dang it

?action=view&current=380647_10150912333525723_576680694_n.jpg

well i'll just put the url
    http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh513/myrahon/?action=view&current=380647_10150912333525723_576680694_n.jpg
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Too bad about the picture. I have a stand up desk too. I`m walking in place while I write this. It feels pretty good and I`ve been using it for about 2 weeks. I want to make it a treadmill desk soon.

Saw a great site where one person walked their way across the U.S. while working on the computer. And lost some weight while they were at it.

Good for your overall health, me thinks!
    cheers!
  • myrahonbarrier
    one thing i didn't think about is a mat to stand on...even though I have carpet i believe that will be a necessity.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Nice. It's supposed to be better for you. If you find it's too much standing, they also say having a leaning chair is better for you than sitting.
  • JessLLoser
    also heard it`s better for you to move around a bit while standing. Livens up them old varicose veins. It`s been easy to get used to. I don`t wear shoes in the house though. I think I will have to start. Hurts my feet after standing all day.
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Nice! I have a friend that rigged his treadmill up to be able to use his laptop on it while walking on the treadmill.

I don't think I would go that far!
  • myrahonbarrier
    oh gosh girl, yes you need to wear some good shoes with support...my mom always told me this and i didn't listen. Now I have a heel spur and it hurts like nobody's business....put them tennies on!
  • myrahonbarrier
    Nice! I have a friend that rigged his treadmill up to be able to use his laptop on it while walking on the treadmill.

I am NOT that coordinated LOL I would break my neck
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    380647_10150912333525723_576680694_n.jpg

the img tags need to be lower case [ img ] url [ /img ] without the spaces
  • myrahonbarrier
    thanks so much yarwell
  • myrahonbarrier
    ok it's Friday and I have been standing and working all week. I have to say I really like it and i feel no where near as tired at the end of the day as I did when I was sitting all day. I have learned that you need a good mat to stand on and to drink lots and lots of water (which i do anyway).

I would definitely recommend a standing desk to anyone that asks me.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    I have now had a sit/stand desk for three weeks and I'm really enjoying it. It has a motor built in so I can adjust the height easily and sit when I want to. Most days, I stand until lunchtime, sit in the tearoom while eating lunch, stand at my desk until 2 or 3 p.m., sit for 20-30 minutes, and stand again until I go home after 5. I am feeling much less stiff, though a little more tired, by the end of each work day. I have needed to switch from the sneakers with a thin rubber sole that I had been wearing to proper shoes with a firmer base to avoid an old foot injury from flaring up, but I haven't needed a mat.
  • lizfaith26
    lizfaith26 Posts: 2 Member
    i work in a pharmacy and never get a chance to sit. any idea how many calories (if any) are burned from standing at work?
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member

Heh, I did! It's not hard at all to walk slowly and work on a laptop.
  • myrahonbarrier
    Tomorrow will be 2 complete weeks that I have been using the stand up desk and I have to say I really love it. I usually only sit down when I'm eating lunch and stand the rest of the time. The first week I didn't do my normal 3-5 miles a day walking because I didn't want to over do it but I started back this week and I have much more energy than when I was sitting.

I definitely recommend standing!
  • JessLLoser
    Good for you! I don`t even like sitting down anymore at the desk. I never do it now. I feel a lot more flexible too.