Running is enjoyable?

Options
124»

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't find running stimulating enough. Perhaps I would enjoy it more if I were in the middle of a forest.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't have a problem with running per se, but it really damages my ankles when I do it on the street, I have to use exercise machines.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet, bad knees and my right ankle rolls. It doesn't matter how slow you go either. I just blast some music and get lost...though I have to focus on my breathing.

It is weird, when I used to try to run, I'd get side aches after like 3 blocks, but now I get one after like 10 minutes of running, but I just take a few deep breaths and it is gone. It is good you have biking...I got bored with that quick. If you want to try running, try the Couch to 5K. It helps build you up gradually so you don't feel like you're dying.

At first I thought this was going to be a list of excuses not to run. I am so glad I was proven wrong. Inspiration at its best.

No more excuses here! I relied on them for too long!
  • hollynono
    hollynono Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I Run too -for thelast three months in fact.i am still waiting to Love it.
  • hellokristen
    hellokristen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I broke my toe Friday at the gym and I took the weekend off, then I went this morning and just did the elliptical so I could keep my toe stabilized. I always thought I HATED running, until I couldn't do it this morning, and I got kind of sad. I positioned myself behind the treadmills to watch everyone else run and be jealous.

Six months ago I never would have believed I could write that. =)
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I think running gets a bad rep from people who try to do to much running too soon, those who run too much without working on strength and flexibility, and those who do not fuel their bodies well.

Agreed! My husband ran for about a year, then suffered lots of related pain (plantar fascitis, shin splints, etc) and quit.

Me? I was always afraid to run - big girls and big butt bouncing down the road - I did not want that to be me. Winded after 1/4 mile, dead legs - why would that be fun??

Dropped a bunch of weight while eating well, using the elliptical and weight training at the gym, found a sturdy bra and I gave it a shot a few months ago - I am never looking back! I now run 3-4 miles, 5 days a week - usually 3 days on the road and 2 in the woods.

One disadvantage - I hiked with my family last week, and with the exception of the steep climbs, I found it REALLY hard to stick to a fast walk! I just wanted to take off flying through the woods. It makes me feel like a kid again, jumping over logs, dodging rocks - I don't even listen to music anymore because it's a distraction!

Now I sound crazy too :laugh:
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I LOVE wogging (walk/jog). It sometimes hurts like a sumb*tch but I truly love it
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running please read: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

Another fantastic book is Just A Little Run Around The World by Rosie Swale Pope a book about a formidable lady who after the death of her husband set out ALONE to run around the world to think what she did & things she encountered was amazing
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running please read: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

Another fantastic book is Just A Little Run Around The World by Rosie Swale Pope a book about a formidable lady who after the death of her husband set out ALONE to run around the world to think what she did & things she encountered was amazing

Oh I am definitely going to check that out!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!